Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Camaro Z28 (track car)... 65 Buick Skylark (Project LT1 Buick)... 01 Kia Rio (The Daily)
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Usually post in the Rio forum but my gf's car recently started having a couple issues. Its a 2007 spectra 5 speed manual. 74000 miles. Stock clutch.
Now the first problem is that when below a 1/4 tank the car will be hard to start. It sometimes takes many tries of cranking before it will fire. Once it fires it runs great and has no problems with power. I was thinking fuel filter since its never been done but after looking I see that this car doesn't have a serviceable fuel filter. So I'm leaning towards the pump now.

Second issue is that sometimes when starting the car it will grind like your shifting without the clutch, but the pedal is fully depressed. Its done it several times. I am thinking the clutch is on its way out but I have no experience with manual cars. It also sometimes grinds when shifting even when clutch is to the floor. Still has the factory clutch that she learned how to drive on when she bought it new. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX, BMW e34 & e46
34 Posts
I think you're on the right track with both your assumptions - 1)fuel filter/pump assembly is on its way out, and 2) clutch is on its way out.
I, myself, was surprised when I went to my local parts store and they said the fuel filter is nonserviceable on my GFs Spectra. I didn't look into it, but you will likely have to buy the whole fuel pump assembly. As a rule, I do not let my fuel level go below 1/4 tank. The fuel in the gas tank actually lubricates and cools the pump. Anything below a 1/4 tank leaves the top part of the pump exposed, resulting in damage to the pump and ultimately hard/no-start situations.
Also, in no way of insulting anyones driving habits or gender, I have noticed that female drivers will burn through clutches faster than male drivers. This may not apply in your case, since clutches DO fail before 100K miles. My thoughts on that would be to take it to a transmission shop- those guys know what they are talking about whether it is an automatic or manual transmission.

·
Registered
95 Camaro Z28 (track car)... 65 Buick Skylark (Project LT1 Buick)... 01 Kia Rio (The Daily)
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been a while since I been on here. Thanks for the reply. The hard starting has cleared up. I told her to keep it above 1/4 tank. Trans is still making noise though. Did it today on her whole way home. Everytime the clutch was pressed it would grind. I'm thinking its going to be a clutch job with new throwout bearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts