Kia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If buying a new CEED I strongly recommend you avoid Hankook tyres and ask for Continental. The Hankooks have virtually no steering feel both grip & quality are poor not repairable according to Tyre City Furthermore Jacking points on New Ceed are almost mpossible to find unless you have been shown the two small cutouts on the flange ,the description in the Handbook in my opinion is not good enough.and jacking up without getting into the cut outs will cause damage to the sill.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I find that to be very unaccurate, specially the jacking points.
As for the tyres, Hankook are very good tyres, did you have the correct tyre pressure?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Jacking points are clearly shown in the manual, all you have to do is read it.

As for Hankooks we ran them them and found them to be fine. Way quieter than the Michelins and 1/2 the price. No difference in grip and fine in the snow we had a couple of winters ago.

The bit about Hankooks not being repairable is total bilge, the garage are having a laugh. All tyres are repairable (even runflats) providing the puncture is within a certain area of the tread.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My new Ceed was delivered with tyre pressures 35 psi and the ride was OK. After fitting a new tyre, pressures were reduced to recommended 32 psi which I found to be totally unsatisfactory, the rear seems to wobble and I felt slightly car sick, I have now altered tyres to 34 psi. As for the repair,the hole was slightly larger than is usual with a nail and holding the tyre up to light one could see through the tread,that and the slight crumbling of the inner tyre wall made the tyre unsafe to repair. I got a new one fitted for £70, but I still would prefer to have Continental. See my latest edit re jacking points. Furthermore a well known professional car reviewer says " There will be small arrow shaped indentations in the sills pointing to the jacking positions. But I agree, they are hard to find, and finding them for the first time in the dark when it is raining would be near impossible."

·
Registered
273 Posts
As for the repair,the hole was slightly larger than is usual with a nail and holding the tyre up to light one could see through the tread,that and the slight crumbling of the inner tyre wall made the tyre unsafe to repair.
Be honest, the tyre was damaged beyond repair and had nothing to do with it being a Hankook. The damage to the sidewall was undoubtedly caused by driving on a deflated tyre.

You would have been buying a new tyre regardless of what brand had been fitted by Kia.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hankok tires no good, I don't think so!

My sister has Hankok tires on her Kia and the front driver side is cracked at the outer edge. Took it to the tireshop where she got the tire and was told she must have hit the curb hard while parking. Tire was 11 months old, she got a new one as it was under a year old and still covered by the road hazard warranty as the cut was too deep to be repaired. Does that make Hankok a bad tire ? I don't think so, it's due to unforseen circumstances beyond one's control.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
One of the first things I do with a new car is a trial run of changing a wheel; Identifying the jack points, confirming that the jack is working, and sorting out any problems with wheel nuts and wheel trims. e.g. Recently found that it was much easier to start the wheel nuts manually in a deep recess using an extended socket (actually an old spark-plug socket).

Little things like that can help. You could spray some contrasting paint to help identify the jack points; use a template to spray a neat pattern rather than just a splodge of paint.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A good idea only after the event but how many new car owners do it. The Kia has absolutely he worst jacking system that I have experienced on the 43 cars I have owned IMO it is not fit for purpose. Going back to the Kia Garage and putting the car on a hoist, it was discovered that there was quite a large hole in the weak plastic liner around the wheel arch, probably caused by the object that punctured the tyre , the liner costs £38 + vat garage wants £45 to fit a new liner. The garage was very critical of my £80 repair, some slight overspray and stone chip protective paint on the sill was not rough enough, they want £200 to rectify, Car manufacturers and their franchised dealers are all IMO rip-off merchants. Kia Dealer wanted £92 for Hankook tyre, Independant that I always go to £70. Tyre City £72.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mr Disbeliever

Will you never be happy and always blame someone else when when normal unforeseen and unavoidable things happen.

Is it Hankooks fault that a large object damaged your tyre AND now it seems the car NO.

Is it Kia's fault that you had a substandard repair carried out after damaging the car jacking it up NO.

I would suggest you choose your words more carefully in the future, blaming companies when it is not their fault is not clever and can lead to court appearances.

We had a rock hit the screen a few weeks ago, was it Kia's fault the screen required repairing? Answers on a post card please.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am not complaining about a so-called substandard repair that cost £80 instead of £200. Only the franchised Dealer is. Auto Express Editor-in-Chief Steve Fowler says " As for the tyres on your car, on the launch of the Cee'd hatch back in March, I drove cars on both Hankook & Continentals- I was told that UK cars could come fitted with either. It does make a difference- cars on Contis ride considerably better than those on Hankooks The steering would improve, too. What is too difficult to find re jacking points is not the same as described in the Ceed Handbook, I shall be taking Kia to task over this matter. I do not need you to tell me to choose my words more carefully in the future,and to all for a Kia Ceed avoid Hankooks.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yep.. sorry about my honesty, but everything you complain about it seems to be to owners "lack of attention", than to anything related to the car.

I've had almost every main brand on my Ceed (and some different models), since I do trackdays with it (Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli, Vredestein, Continental and Goodride on 17" and Dunlop, Kumho and Nankang on 18"), and if you use the correct tyre pressure (2.4bar in front and 2.2 back) steering feel is the same on the same tyre size.
Grip will change... but that's due to the different compounds.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have to advise you that the recommended tyre pressure for my car Kia Ceed 2 1.6 diesel auto on 16" wheels is 32 psi front & rear and is unsatisfactory with Hankook tyres which should be avoided on this model ,order with the better Contis wish I had known this before ordering my car which is unsatisfactory in several areas, I do not like not having a permanent engine temp gauge, you have to scroll through a virtually undecipherable awful red colour menu system, the fuel gauge is ridiculously overlarge and should be half the size & contain engine temp. Also would be convenient to have a trip odometer.The boot depth is compromised by having a unnecessary tray Flex Steer system is a complete nonsense all you need is NORMAL mode with more steering feel..The car should have been fitted with TPMS & auto dip mirror. The List price is a total rip off but £3K can be saved buying through Brokers.

·
Registered
Ceed '3' 1.6 CRDI 114bhp 2012reg
114 Posts
Attitude

I am not complaining about a so-called substandard repair that cost £80 instead of £200. Only the franchised Dealer is. Auto Express Editor-in-Chief Steve Fowler says " As for the tyres on your car, on the launch of the Cee'd hatch back in March, I drove cars on both Hankook & Continentals- I was told that UK cars could come fitted with either. It does make a difference- cars on Contis ride considerably better than those on Hankooks The steering would improve, too. What is too difficult to find re jacking points is not the same as described in the Ceed Handbook, I shall be taking Kia to task over this matter. I do not need you to tell me to choose my words more carefully in the future,and to all for a Kia Ceed avoid Hankooks.
I think members on here are trying their best to help others out. As a mediator to what I see written here. Ok, I have a brand new Ceed which I curbed on a steep narrow multi-carpark where I was unable to see the curve of the road coming down. I misjudged and ended up with front left curbed alloys. My fault...... Maybe Kia because they did not allow for the extra height needed to see the road curve over the bonnet:)

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I assume you have older model,current Cee'd 3 1.6 CRDI is 126 bhp not 114 bhp ? Quite frankly I would be happy with 15" steel wheels I think alloys are overated .

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
I do not like...
Is there anything you do? Your posts are practically unreadable. Please take more care and use some punctuation.

Regarding the difference between Hancook and Conti, are they options on the same wheel size? It's no good hoping to compare them unless like for like.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems you can not read properly ,look again at what Auto Express says about Hankook & Conti tyres surely they must be the same size ?

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Disbeliever

Sell it fast, you will never be happy. Were you happy with your previous car? if by some miracle you were buy another.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
I have had and my Son has had Hankooks on our cars and they are POOR in rain and DANGEROUS in snow... We both ride on Michelins now... My son's 08 Hyundai Accent had terrible handling which we attributed to the car design...WRONG... Bad tires with under 27k on them.. They "looked" good, had lots of tread left but could not grip the road. They were properly inflated, balanced, and mounted.
Cheap-Junk-OEM tires.
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
We had Hankook Optimo 415 after some Michelin Energy savers. They were quieter, rode, handled and gripped just as well (probably better wet grip) gripped well enough in the snow but the car did use more diesel. Considering they were 1/2 the price we were happy.

Would I buy them again, most certainly if they are still a current tyre.

They may be cheap but they are most certainly not junk, maybe they sell you yanks the rubbish us Limeys throw away.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
SW CEED I did not buy another Chev Cruze because it does not feature powered foldback door mirrors or DRL. also there is no auto for the latest I.7 Diesel engine.and most importantly no spare wheel. I ran the Cruze for 2& half years the longest I have ever owned a car. The Ceed has IMO opinion a "not fit for purpose jack system" . On the M11 I suffered a puncture my passenger changed the wheel but in doing so damaged the sill because it is not clear how to fit the jack, the handbook description is different to what is on my car. A well known motoring correspondent agrees that on a dark rain swept road it is virtually impossible to use the jack correctly for a first time user. I am chasing Kia for the cost of the damage caused.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.