Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my Rio came stock with these tires. Not much to say about them but they are very noisy. Road noise is at is peak. Same complaints found on the Web along with good handling and nice cornering. If I wanted to change for quieter tires, what brand and make should I look for. Was recommended Yokohama Avid Ascend. I don't want change tires for speeding or look. Quietness is my main concern. I guess quiet tires with good handling can be found. A little help please. Did someone on the forum had his tires changed? Surely.
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
Personally i have always found Michelin to be the softest and very quiet, but they dont last long being so soft.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Hi Racineur. I think we had the conversation about road noise a while back.I suggested the issue isn't so much the tyres but lack of insulation in the unibody. All Rio's I have driven( & Accents too) have excessive wheel or road noise no matter what size or brand of tyres. I also notice it really evident on a coarse surface. On Smooth or new Surfaces there is no noise.IMHO if it was noisy tyres they would be noisy ALL the time. I thing the answer is some kind of matting applied under the carpets but no one here on the forum has done it yet to see if it solves the road noise problem.I 'm waiting for someone to report if I'm right.Until then I play the radio LOUD:D. Just like the low passenger's seat I'm also waiting for someone else to be the 1st to fix this problem.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Racineur, you're only a year into ownership. You probably have lots of life left in those tires. Is it really worth it to replace good tires before necessary. I'm not happy with the road noise either but I'm not going to replace these tires yet.

Has anyone tried installing Dynamat or BQuiet in the 4 doors plus the hatch door? If so, what difference has it made for: A, road noise and B, audio sound quality?

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Racineur, you're only a year into ownership. You probably have lots of life left in those tires.
My tyres are not even 24,000KM old and are nearly down to the first wear markers. Mind you most of it has been chaotic melbourne peak hour and many hard brakings to avoid accidents with idiots. The contisports are fantastic tyres but are not made for longevity! I know they're different to the OP but thought i'd put it out there. In fact i'm very disappointed with the wear life of these tyres, never had any fade so quickly, and i've owned a lot of v8's!

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
My tyres are not even 24,000KM old and are nearly down to the first wear markers. Mind you most of it has been chaotic melbourne peak hour and many hard brakings to avoid accidents with idiots. The contisports are fantastic tyres but are not made for longevity! I know they're different to the OP but thought i'd put it out there. In fact i'm very disappointed with the wear life of these tyres, never had any fade so quickly, and i've owned a lot of v8's!
My Versa had Continental tires and I was very disappointed with the wear of those too. A year into it my Hankook's seem to be wearing much better.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Racineur. I think we had the conversation about road noise a while back.I suggested the issue isn't so much the tyres but lack of insulation in the unibody. All Rio's I have driven( & Accents too) have excessive wheel or road noise no matter what size or brand of tyres. I also notice it really evident on a coarse surface. On Smooth or new Surfaces there is no noise.IMHO if it was noisy tyres they would be noisy ALL the time. I thing the answer is some kind of matting applied under the carpets but no one here on the forum has done it yet to see if it solves the road noise problem.I 'm waiting for someone to report if I'm right.Until then I play the radio LOUD:D. Just like the low passenger's seat I'm also waiting for someone else to be the 1st to fix this problem.
Hello rroyce46. I too remember the conversation. I agree with you: insufficient insulation in the Rios. And true the Hankook produce a silky ride on smooth surfaces. But I noticed a strange thing today. The dealer's chauffeur picked me up at my house to take me to the dealer's place. So I took place in a 2013 Rio LX+ with Kumho 15inch tires. The road noise and tire noise was less audible than in my EX 2012. Maybe cause I was the passenger for once and I did not hear the same noises. Anyhow, I'll be an advised consumer and wait till the tire wears off before buying news. Marleyfan, you convince me. As for insulating the Rio, I don't see this as an investment. Rather a big spending caused by me being fussy at times.
Cheers

·
Registered
2013 KIA Rio5 1.4 AT
32 Posts
I've already changed to Yokohama ADVAN dB 15" tires and I would not waste more money to try to reduce noise for my Kia RIO. I think I have to live with "road noise" for few years more until I have capacity to buy a luxury car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts