Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
audi a3 quattro kia ceed sr7 petrol
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i understand the handbrake works on two small drums attached to the hubs behind the rear discs on a linkage system the same as my friends kia sorrento.

he has told me his handbrake has siezed on one side three times due to the linkage becoming rusty has anyone had this problem on the ceed???.

is this type of system self adjusting and at what mileage do these drums need
changing anyone had them done yet.

"lovely evening for a cool larger with a pink embrella and curly straw":cool:

·
Registered
943 Posts
The handbrake drum is the center section of the brake disc. The handbrake is not self adjusting and is adjusted by removing the rear wheels revealing a rubber bung in the disc, when the bung is removed and the hole is at the six o'clock position the brake adjuster can be pushed round with a screwdriver. As the handbrake is only used when the car is stopped it rarely needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE=deeps;423136]The handbrake drum is the center section of the brake disc. The handbrake is not self adjusting and is adjusted by removing the rear wheels revealing a rubber bung in the disc, when the bung is removed and the hole is at the six o'clock position the brake adjuster can be pushed round with a screwdriver. As the handbrake is only used when the car is stopped it rarely needs to be adjusted.[/QUOTE]

Thks deeps, do you know of any problems with this type of handbrake? Are they pretty maintenance free?.

·
Registered
943 Posts
[/QUOTE]Thks deeps, do you know of any problems with this type of handbrake? Are they pretty maintenance free?.[/QUOTE]

Completely maintenance free, if it breaks it is covered by the seven year warranty.:D

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Ive had my Pro for 3yrs/ 40k miles and apart from adjustment at a service the handbrake has needed nothing.

The only time ive heard of handbrake assemblies seizing is with auto cars and people use park and not the handbrake,it can then sieze through lack of use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive had my Pro for 3yrs/ 40k miles and apart from adjustment at a service the handbrake has needed nothing.

The only time ive heard of handbrake assemblies seizing is with auto cars and people use park and not the handbrake,it can then sieze through lack of use.
very good point ayjay, my car is an auto but i normally use park position and handbrake at the same time for safety reasons, but still a good point for other auto users.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thks deeps, do you know of any problems with this type of handbrake? Are they pretty maintenance free?.[/QUOTE]

Completely maintenance free, if it breaks it is covered by the seven year warranty.:D[/QUOTE]

thks for your info deeps:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts