Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2016 Sorento SXL-T came with standard halogen headlights. Meanwhile the fog lights and other lights are all HID. Does anybody know where we can order at least white lights so they all match? Dealership says if it comes with halogen you can't put in HID bulbs. Has anybody successfully switched from halogen to HID, or found a comperable bulb so everything matches? My 2014 Optima all lights were HID. Not sure why the Sorento isn't.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
you meant LED, right? No manufacturer made car with OEM fogs in HID...

Basically anything can be done, the question is only how much it will cost what outcome it will be.

Generally speaking, there are HID conversion kits allowing you to use OEM harness to plug in an HID ballasts. Then refitted HID lamps are inserted onto OEM halogen socket.
Sometimes the light patter is off (it could be due to poor manufacturing of HID lamp/rebase) or you get issues with computer due to difference in power needs for HID (standard HID is 35W, while halogen is 55W). In addition, high voltage in HID (ignition takes place at about 20'000 V while operating voltage is 85V) can cause some other interferences...

So yes, it can be done.

I have HID in both my cars.
In Rondo no problems except light patter that finally got fixed.
In Elantra - well, sometimes the stereo resets when I turn HID on. All possible cures were implied and nothing worked in 100%.

Oh, and of course warranty comes in play - KIA might not like HID. There is some evidence that it can fry a computer. Also, inspection, if applies in your state, might be in question.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
wait your sx-l turbo is halogen? thats impossible, here in canada all sx and sx-l are hid headlight with auto leveling.. maybe its just really new the lights are very yellow right now?

yes PLP is right.. yo need to be careful.. you have to have a relay harness to be safe, its not like old cars anymore that you can put 4 hids and it will be fine, the lights are now controlled by IPM, small box that controls all lighting, turn signal etc.... am not too sure with the new projectors but if you are going to get matching ones for the fog, get a 6000k ones they become warmer color that will match the LED fogs..
for hid bulbs.. and also dont forget to have a relay harness installed.. if they flickr with acceleration and braking you will need some capacitors on each balasts.. if you are from the usa, any cheap ones are fine, if you want some better reliability and warranty, theretrofitsource.com is a good place, if its too much any ddm kits are ok..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts