Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I got some hail damage on my 2011 Sorento V6 EX AWD 44k miles last week.

I got an insurance payout for the damage. We plan on keeping the vehicle for 3 more years at least.

The hail damage doesn't bother me.

The choices we have are:
-Use the payout to completely fix the vehicle. Not sure if this will show up on carfax and cause the value to be diminished anyway.
-keep the payout check and do nothing and just expect the trade-in/resale value to be less.
-Go to a small paintless dent repair place and just get the car fixed to the point where I don't notice it....maybe not fix everything. keep the rest of the payout in case the value is still diminished when we go to sell/trade it.

Anyone done this before? any opinions?

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
sounds like you are planning to trading or selling your vehicle regardless

so, there's no real point, if you are expecting the value to be less

might as well pocket the money now, and wait until the next car swap

on the other hand, if you do plan to keep the Sorento for the next 10+ years, and it's being financed, then you might want to tread it a little better, else you'll keep seeing that dent for the next 8+ years

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is paid off. No financing. too. The amount of the insurance payout is $4500.

I'm assuming a use 2011 trade-in in good condition is probably like $20-22k.

So, then in 3 years...it will probably be what... $15k or less?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about using it to pay off my wife's car...saving the 5.75% interest that we are paying...

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
234 Posts
Go to a small paintless dent repair place and just get the car fixed to the point where I don't notice it

I would try the above first with a centre that has a top notch reputation. If they say they can fix it for a reasonable price, go for it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts