Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have had the Borrego now for 1000+ miles and I must say I absolutely love it!!! I have had some many compliments on this car. No one believes it is a Kia.

Anyway, here are a few things I have noticed and wanted to see if anyone has noticed the same.

1) under normal driving conditions, the transmission is shifting into 5th gear too soon. Here is what happens, I slow down for a curve and as I start to speed up, I press the gas and nothing happens as I am in 5th gear. What I have to do is either press on the gas hard, which forces it to go into 3rd gear and really speed up or I just switch over in the sport-shift mode and it goes into 4th on it’s on. When I do the sport-shift, the car acts and feels like it is supposed to feel. I just hate having to do that every time.
2) I love the auto-light feature – but it seems like it gets too dark before it comes on or goes off too soon. The other day I was driving into work around 7:15am. It was light out, but you should still have your lights on – kinda like dusk. Well the auto-lights went off and I had to manually turn on the headlights. No biggie, just wish I could adjust the settings some.
3) The radio sounds great, but I can’t get past volume number 12. Most of the time it is on 8. Anybody else notice this?

Thanks - Erik

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hello all. I have had the Borrego now for 1000+ miles and I must say I absolutely love it!!! I have had some many compliments on this car. No one believes it is a Kia.

Anyway, here are a few things I have noticed and wanted to see if anyone has noticed the same.

1) under normal driving conditions, the transmission is shifting into 5th gear too soon. Here is what happens, I slow down for a curve and as I start to speed up, I press the gas and nothing happens as I am in 5th gear. What I have to do is either press on the gas hard, which forces it to go into 3rd gear and really speed up or I just switch over in the sport-shift mode and it goes into 4th on it’s on. When I do the sport-shift, the car acts and feels like it is supposed to feel. I just hate having to do that every time.
2) I love the auto-light feature – but it seems like it gets too dark before it comes on or goes off too soon. The other day I was driving into work around 7:15am. It was light out, but you should still have your lights on – kinda like dusk. Well the auto-lights went off and I had to manually turn on the headlights. No biggie, just wish I could adjust the settings some.
3) The radio sounds great, but I can’t get past volume number 12. Most of the time it is on 8. Anybody else notice this?

Thanks - Erik
1) Trans Shift. Most auto trans these days are fully computor controled. And adaptive learning ones. That means they learn from you what you like and do not like. And how you drive. It then take this and programs itself to work as you like all the time before you ask it to. This takes time thou. I will not tell you more other then this. 1000 miles is jsut about the sweet spot of the learning curve to be done. But as you found in school did you not, some pupils are slower then others and others faster. So 1000 is not a magic number in the world. That said. did you personally drive those 1000 miles only. Or was this a mix people thing? And are you saying it has 1000 on it now and you drove it that 1000 or it had 300 when you bought it and now it has 1000? You drove 700 of them. Again mixed people or sole driver? Also everytime you switch over to sport gate you are telling it to stop learning right then as it is not in the normal mode (in D) for learning then. You are in special use sport mode that is does not learn technically from for the normal D mode use. Again it takes time and more and more new stuff being thrown at it prolongs it. Think of it this way, if you were playing baseball and each game the rules changed how long would it take you to learn the game of baseball? The trans is the same thing. Untill it has a consistant pattern to learn it will not. If you wish to start over and see how it goes do this. First find out which fuse is for teh trans memory. Then pull it and leave it out ten mins. Put it back. You now have a virgin trans to teach and have it learn from you. It will take time and learn to pull forth sooner for you in time. Remember the more people that drive it the longer it will take to get it perfect as YOU like. As it is learning for two-five people. All differnt people and driving styles. If this is a minor issue then live with it till it clears up and do nothing. Should not take much longer as miles roll up on it. Again the more you pull the sport gate trick the longer it will take while in D.

BTW if going around curve and you say it sticks in fifth and will not downshift to forth. And you have to smash the pedal and it goes to third? Try not doing that. Try stepping down on pedal a little more not smash it. and see where you have to go over a few days before it will jsut come out of OD/5th and into 4th not 3rd. Once you do that you and the trasn will learn that lesson. And the trans will beat you to it in time. Right now all your teaching it is to go form 5th to 3rd around curves. And stopping it form learning when you OVERIDE the program in sport mode.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) Trans Shift. Most auto trans these days are fully computor controled. And adaptive learning ones. That means they learn from you what you like and do not like. And how you drive. It then take this and programs itself to work as you like all the time before you ask it to. This takes time thou. I will not tell you more other then this. 1000 miles is jsut about the sweet spot of the learning curve to be done. But as you found in school did you not, some pupils are slower then others and others faster. So 1000 is not a magic number in the world. That said. did you personally drive those 1000 miles only. Or was this a mix people thing? And are you saying it has 1000 on it now and you drove it that 1000 or it had 300 when you bought it and now it has 1000? You drove 700 of them. Again mixed people or sole driver? Also everytime you switch over to sport gate you are telling it to stop learning right then as it is not in the normal mode (in D) for learning then. You are in special use sport mode that is does not learn technically from for the normal D mode use. Again it takes time and more and more new stuff being thrown at it prolongs it. Think of it this way, if you were playing baseball and each game the rules changed how long would it take you to learn the game of baseball? The trans is the same thing. Untill it has a consistant pattern to learn it will not. If you wish to start over and see how it goes do this. First find out which fuse is for teh trans memory. Then pull it and leave it out ten mins. Put it back. You now have a virgin trans to teach and have it learn from you. It will take time and learn to pull forth sooner for you in time. Remember the more people that drive it the longer it will take to get it perfect as YOU like. As it is learning for two-five people. All differnt people and driving styles. If this is a minor issue then live with it till it clears up and do nothing. Should not take much longer as miles roll up on it. Again the more you pull the sport gate trick the longer it will take while in D.

BTW if going around curve and you say it sticks in fifth and will not downshift to forth. And you have to smash the pedal and it goes to third? Try not doing that. Try stepping down on pedal a little more not smash it. and see where you have to go over a few days before it will jsut come out of OD/5th and into 4th not 3rd. Once you do that you and the trasn will learn that lesson. And the trans will beat you to it in time. Right now all your teaching it is to go form 5th to 3rd around curves. And stopping it form learning when you OVERIDE the program in sport mode.
THANK YOU so much for this post. I bought it with 25 miles on her and I am close to 1500 now. I have driven it 99% of the time. I will do as you suggested and try to help teach the trans to shift into 4th sooner. Thank you again for the great post!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry what I meant was, 'past volume 12 and it gets too loud. The speakers will start to distort'. My normal listening volume level is 7-8 and I consider that loud. With the windows down, maybe 12-13.
Before anyone thinks I am just some old guy with sensitive hearing, I used to compete in IASCA events. I do have a descent understanding of sound levels and what clipping/distortion sounds like. I am not a sound engineer, but know enough to tell me that the volume at 15 is going to damage the speakers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yea i know what you mean. I used to have a 06 Sorento and it distorted the sound a lot. Now i have the Infinity on the Mohave and distortion starts after 28 29. Maximum is 31. Is your stereo Infinity or is the 6 speaker one. However sound levels are different because i have the GCC configuration of the car. What is the max level of your radio and is it the Infinity one?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Infinity 10 speaker. personally I love the sound, just think the gain is adjusted way too high. At sound level at 12 should really be closer to volume level 20 on the radio.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes I agree.it was the same in my Sorento. You put it on 6 and its too loud, you put it on 5 and you can't hear it, you cant adjust it accurately... However in my Mohave the max level of the stereo is 31. It is completely different to yours for some reason. Mine starts to distort at 28 when listening to POP and at 18 when listening to Hard Bass. To be honest i did not expect the Infinity do distort in any way... After all Infinity is one of the leading Sound Companies after BOSE.... But yes it sounds good. It is just not flexible enough in terms of setting up the Equalizer. Not many options to tinker to master the sound. But when listening to classical music the sound is very broad and deep.... Especially when i use D.T.S true surround sound recorded DVD's. still the car is very nice, and we don't regret we bought it so we must accept some drawbacks as well... :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really can't say I have a problem with the radio itself, more of the gain levels. I hear a noticeable hum at low volumes, say 1-4 area or in soft passages of songs, like classical. Having Sirius satellite, I can't listen to the Frank Sinatra channel during city driving due to the lack of road noise. Highway driving is fine as it masks the hum. I took it to KIA to have them check it out and of course, everything is normal. I strongly feel that if I could adjust the gains on this radio, I could solve all of the issues I am complaining about.
As far as distortion, I really don't have an issue in that area. Normal listening level for me is 8-9 range. If I really like the song, I may go to 11-12. Windows done I did get to 15 one day but I was concerned I may be pushing it to hard. As far as the sound quality is concerned, I can honeslty say I am more than happy with this radio. I love the center channel and how it really brings the sound stage nice and high. I love the bass in that you hear it more than you feel it. I don't want massive sub bass, just clean, nice tunes. BTW, my settings are: Bass -2, Mid 0, Tre +1

I do not have the navigation package. I went with the rear DVD player for my son. Not sure if you can get both packages in the states...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes we got the Sat nav and the Rear DVD for my 6yrs old sis too. Here you can get it with the rear seat DVD and the sat nav up in the front. . Since i am 18 I drive the car to school sometimes and i drive my sis too and she listens to some Disney stuff my dad found. And i hear a hum sometimes when i listen to the Satellite radio but never heard a Hum when playing from an I-pod or CD. I am a hardcore fan of classical music so Bass doesn't really bother me very much. My settings are:
Bass 2, Mid 3, Tre 2
And just to add When listening to Satellite Radio it used to cut off very much then i read a thread about an update.... My dad Updated it at KIA but still it cuts off like S*** and drives my sis crazy..... Dunno what to do. Probably its all because i live in the Middle East and reception is not very good. I'll try it out when i go to my Country in EU, maybe it will work better. Anyway for the money we pay we really should not complain about the car.... what do you think? :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, the satellite “Acquiring Signal” issue. My service department is telling me Kia is aware of the issue, but at this time, it is normal operation. One of the guys on here lives in Canada and he had the same issue. His service dept ran an update from Kia via the USB port and it solved his issue. I was able to give my dealership the information for the Candian TSB and they said it didn’t apply to the US models – even though it is a the exact same issue. I think what the dealership really meant was “we won’t get paid on fixing you car, so we won’t do it”

·
Registered
134 Posts
WOW fast reply.... EXACTLY this is an issue with warranty with all cars.... i have a Sorento and Citroen C3 which are still in warranty and whenever something breaks down they Keep it for ages... Its like if you don't pay we don't care. I suppose same happened with the Satellite radio here as well. I am gonna go personally even if the car is not bought on my name and I will talk to them really seriously, cuz i often get an Upset kid in the car which starts moaning all over the place when i lose signal. Not to mention when i am driving my neighbor's 3 kids. I hope some harsh talk will make them understand that this must be fixed..... I hope it will work.

BTW thank you for your support and answering all my annoying posts ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope bumping old threads is not frowned upon

But I must as was "04SorentoLX" serious about the transmission learning from the drivers habits? Either I just learned something really cool, or he is a jokester extrordinnaire.

I read only 9500 Borregos were sold in the US
I'd be interested how that compares to 2009 sales for other SUVs.
It's pretty cool being a minority, sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts