Kia Forum banner

Guess I'm the only iPhone 5 user out here???

26K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  LA-Foal 
#1 ·
Guess what. It doesn't work with the USB in anymore. Haven't heard from any other Kia owners yet, still too early I guess.

Just a warning, if you love how your old iPhone connected with the USB cable, do not upgrade yet. Don't know if its because of the new lightning cable, or Kia just needs to send a UVO update, or of its an apple bug.

I can still stream audio over Bluetooth, but not sure about my navigation prompts which came through the speakers before. I guess I'll play the waiting game.

Btw. If anyone has a good number or email address to contact Kia with, please send it my way. Thanks!!! :eek:

#5 ·
I'm afraid that's the reason, also. Thanks for sharing. Do you happen to use iTunes Match? It acts a little differently on iOS 6 I've noticed. I'm going to buy one of the cables that convert the old 30 pin to the new one and see, if not, oh well, I'm used to apple changing crap around and breaking things. :-(

#15 ·
With iOS 6, Apple included bluetooth mapping, so you would think that it would work, but it's hard to tell what is going on. I just hope they offer updates for people having problems getting the audio through their car head units. Or, maybe Kia for that matter.

#18 ·
Just wanted to throw in a comment, nothing to do with the iPhone or ios6. But I have a Samsung focus (windows phone) and every feature worked just fine. Even SMS. But it only worked for about a month or so now it won't work and my phone doesn't even connect to the car unless I turn the phone off and on again I the car.

SMS was ok... The car would read them but replying is a joke with the pre selected responses. "For no say 1' for yes say 2 for lol say 3" If I'm connected to my data I was able to actually speak a reply. But again that's when SMS still worked...

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

#19 ·
New iPhone 5 user with 2012 Kia Soul!

I'm a new iPhone 5 user and I'm unable to connect via bluetooth. Either my phone won't discover my Soul!'s bluetooth signal, or my Soul!'s bluetooth signal isn't compatible with my phone. I don't know what to do! Had an old iPhone 3G and it discovered the bluetooth signal just fine. Any suggestions??? Anyone???

#21 ·
my iphone 5 worked for about a week, then suddenly stopped working via the usb. It hangs on reading media, but starts playing the first song. I can also go through the playlists/artists etc., but when I select one, it plays but doesn't display the track name, plus I can't skip tracks.

Bluetooth is fine, and like I say the usb was working fine for a week. The only thing I changed was I downloaded an album from itunes, then it played fine once afterwards, then stopped.

Wayne

#24 · (Edited)
I have a 2011 Sorento EX and can confirm that using the Lightning / USB did not charge my iPhone 5 via my USB port. I just picked up a 30 pin to Lightning adapter. I have attached it to my KIA iPhone cable, but haven't tried it yet, but I will tomorrow and post back here. I generally just connect via Bluetooth.

Apple's Maps worked flawlessly calling out directions via my vehicle's sound system (Bluetooth). Speaking of Apple's Map application, I will say here that it has worked perfectly for me. On a couple of outings, I ran my Garmin at the same time. They took the same route, and called out directions at the same time.

Update: 30 pin to Lightning adapter works fine for me.

#26 ·
I had the iPhone 5 before getting the car. With the lightning cable I have had flawless connectivity every time. Charges the phone, shows album artwork, I can see more information, control shuffle, and change playlists.

Bluetooth has been hit or miss with me. Works fine if the device is accessible and Bluetooth is on when I get in. Otherwise it sometimes doesn't connect or will only connect for media. But according to the phone it is always connected and I can always change the call media to the car (it just displays unknown caller instead of the contact). When the BlueTooth connects I can make UVO calls to contacts with no issues.

Loving everything about the car so far!

#28 ·
Sorry to necropost but I bought a 2013 Rio almost 2 weeks ago. I have been using bluetooth to connect to my stereo ( the standard version, not UVO) and the salesman said I could buy a cable at the dealer or I could buy one cheaper on EBay or Amazon. He said something about the Apple cable not working right but I just tried it out and it seems to work fine, displays the info for the song playing and I can use the button on my steering wheel or stereo to change songs, etc. Does anyone know why besides the add on sale, the dealer would say not to use the Apple cable?

#29 ·
Picked up my new Rio 5 EX UVO last saturday and my iPhone 5 works fine with the lightning cable and bluetooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.