Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my CRDI Sorento. It's color red and unfortunately here in the Philippines they phased out a lot of features in this Sorento to make it marketable. Like there's no climate control, no sunroof, no power side mirrors, only 4 speakers, no ABS or EBD, no multimeter gauge, only driver's side airbag, no body cladding, no foglights, no roofrail, no rear spoiler etc. but when you calculate the price of the US Sorento or the Euro Sorento it's only around a 2 thousand dollar difference. 1US dollar here is equivalent to 56 peso.

Back to the topic. I've attached some photos for you guyz to see how bare my Sorento is. I also took a pic of my diesel engine w/o the engine cover. The BMW grille I had installed cost me $450!! That's robbery right there. Worst the dealer didn't even return my stock grille coz they have a policy if ever were gonna replace a part in my Sorento we have to surrender the original part in place for the aftermarket part. That's crazy!!! Hope you guyz don't have this kind of experience.

Do you guyz know any way I can increase my hp. I know my CRDI engine is the same they have in Europe, right?! Can you recommend me any modification parts? I've heard about these vortex things where you attach them to your pipe and the computer boxes but I don't know if they REALLY work. Have any you guyz installed any of these in your CRDI and have you done a dyno test to confirm the increase in hp and torque? Also having installed these mods does your engine burn more fuel or is it more fuel-efficient?

The last is I need your approval coz I'm planning to install a bodykit for my Sorento but the body color of my Sorento is quite hard to match coz it's red. I've attached a few photos and here are the bodykits I'm plannig to install.

I like the bodykit of the Black Tomato Sorento but I don't like it's front bumper coz that'll cause me to cut off a big piece of my bumper that's why I prefer to use the BladeT Grille bumper since it's only a lower chin bumper and I can have my original front bumper intact. I also like the BladeBody Kit but it looks soo lowered that it'll defy the fact that it's a SUV. So, what do you guys think? Is it ricey?

Hope you guyz can advice me. Thanks.[attachmentid=767][attachmentid=768][attachmentid=769][attachmentid=770][attachmentid=771]

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi EJQN,

Just a Question are you sure that what you purhased is an EX trim? Because judging from the pics you posted it would seem that its an LX model where some of the options are absent compared to an EX.

And regarding the stock grille not returned, that's pretty stupid... That's not a good dealer's practice.... Who is this dealer that we are talking about? Hope you can tell us so that we can be forwarned about its s#@$#%d practice....

Go Sorento...

gregg_g

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, 3 kasi Sorento namin. My dad has a V6 and a diesel TLX sa Mongolia kaya na-dissapoint siya dun sa LX model dito. Ang pagkaka-alam niya nga maski LX trim eh may cladding na at foglights pati ABS. Yung friend ng dad ko ang bumili ng performance parts para dun sa TLX diesel kaso di ko matanong sa dad ko about it since nasa Sri Lanka siya ngayong.

Backout na talaga sana ako kaso si papa tinuloy pa rin niya yung pagbili kasi isa sa mga nag ma-manage ng dealer ay childhood friend niya kaya ayun, kumagat siya. Yung diesel ng dad ko sa Mongolia napa-abot niya ng 185hp yung rating kaya ako sana gusto ko ganun rin.

Yung dealer namin ay Wheels sa tabi ng De Los Santos Hospital. I already spoke personally with their big boss sa Colombian Motors at sabi niya pwede niya ako tulungan mag file ng complaint. Basta nalugi talaga ako doon sa stock grille ko. Pinurchase namin yung Sorento as a whole pero binawi nila grille namin para daw may "discount" yung BMW grille na kukunin namin. 20 thou yung flat price ng grille kaya ginawa ko after 3 days nagpanggap akong buyer at tinanong ko kung magkano yung BMW grille at sabi nila 20k rin. Lintik, odi saan yung "discount" na sinasabi nila sa amin? Muntikan na nga rin kami idamay doon sa 50 to 70 thousand pesos price increase nila. May pagka-sakim rin talaga ang mga dealers na yan. Biro mo 3 beses rin ako pabalik-balik dahil sa BMW grille na yun. Nung una pinapunta ako doon para ipa-iwan yung Sorento after a few days pinabalik nila ako dahil tapos na yung grille at pag paint pero nung nandun na ako dun lang nila napansin na di magkatugma yung pula ng grille at ng body kaya pinauwi nila ako at pinabalik 2 days later, again!!! Perwisyo! May vertigo pa naman akong sakit. Isa pa, yung headunit ko ay Jen Sen. Ok naman siya ang problema lang di nila ako mabigyan ng users manual para doon kaya nung tinanong ko kung nasaan yung manual ko eh maski sila di nila alam. Parang mga hindi nagtratrabaho sa Wheels.

Anyway tapos na yan ang kailangan ko lang ay bodykit at performance parts. May 3 na akong video monitors sa Sorento ko, kulang nalang dagdag na tweeters pero marami na sa Banawe yan. Purchase nalang siguro ako sa abroad ng aftermarket performance parts.

Kaya ngayon di ko madalas minamaneho yung Sorento ko kasi nadi-dissapoint lang ako. Eto ang mga babies ko ngayon. Toyota lover rin ako. Mitsubishi hanggang Pajero lang ako. Ayaw ko lang sa black kong Prado V6 gas siya at yung silver mas ok kasi modified diesel siya kaso kay ate yun.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OO nga pala, maski yung EX trim nila na top-off the line ang daming kulang. My dad bought home yung owners brochure ng EX niya dito. Does your EX have heated seats? Dual power seats? Leater seats? moonroof? cruise control? 8 way airbags? tire pressure monitor? auto on/off headlights? Skid plates? 8" monitor GPS

My dad purchased the EX Luxury Package. I don't know the price difference nun at ng EX lang.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, our Local EX trim has less amenities compared to its Korean counterpart but take note that you are comparing the EX to the EX-L which is the luxury package-a level higher than the EX.

Btw, with these options you mentioned, especially the 8" monitor GPS, are you sure that your Dad got his unit in Mongolia, not in South Korea because units having these amenities are only available in South Korea, not even available in the US or Germany..

Hey where were these rides (the 3 toyota's) taken? The place seems very familiar, I think its in Forbes Park right? The parking lot in between Rustan's and St. Vincent Church, I think? Are you living near that place?

With regards to my ride, its A Sorento TLX, having options much better than our local EX... Pls check it out - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2061964

Go Truckin with the Sorento...

gregg_g

·
Registered
21 Posts
EJQN,

Btw, when did you purchase your Sorento?

Another query, you mentioned that your sister's prado is a modified diesel, what do you mean by this? And your Prado is a v6 gas, is this an import, we only have local Prado's as diesels right?:unsure:

gregg_g

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes it's in Makati, Sanctuario De San Jose to be exact. Blessing ng Hilux ng kapatid ko. Dapat nga isasabay na namin yung Fortuner kaso gamit ng dad ko at bro niya nag break-in agad hanggang Bicol then Iloilo and back. We used to live near Fort Bonifacio, nakikitira kami sa auntie ko kasi malapit lang siya sa workplace ko and her homes there are the only ones big enough to fit the SUV's.

The Sorento's he purchased were from importers he knew for years, mga taga grey market. He even had hydraulic shocks installed kasi yung mga work site na pinupuntahan nila eh napaka demanding para sa kahit anong SUV. They once used a 2004 Nissan Patrol and it broke down on them and they don't know why kaya pang gravel nalang daw yung Patrol doon. Yung mga electronics ang dali lang daw kabitin pero nung na-purchase ng dad ko eh naka-kabit na and all he had to do was sync it with his Magellan satellite kasi there's no means of communication there. If ever maayos ko yung Sorie ko let's do some road-tripping. Pangasinan tayo kundi umabot tayo hanggang Bohol... hihi, bibisitahin ko old flame ko doon. HIhi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oo nga pala, I've seen your Sorento in cardomain early this year pa ata. Nice ride but I'm not too fond of the 3rd row seats. I still prefer the 3rd row of my Prado. Diba may moonroof dapat yung TLX?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What a coincidence.. We used to live in Ft. Bonifacio too, in Cluster Housing, when my dad was in active service... Oh Bohol, we too are planning to do some roadtripping this December, it will only cost us about 1.5k (for the boat ride, vehicle roundtrip cost) from where I live (Cebu City)...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I know Toyota has been selling a V6 Prado coz my friend is an agent for Toyota Q. Ave. Yung diesel naman ni ate ni-modify ng tito ko bago umalis. You know, computer performance box, performance filters, performance exhaust although I don't know if he changed the turbo pero malabo yun.

The original owner of the Prado's was my uncle, my mom's kuya. When the visited the Phils. last year with his family he wanted to have a SUV for him, his wife and his son so me and my dad searched the Prado's for them. They just used it for 8 months then they went back to the US and Australia. But my uncle was troubled about how to get rid of the Prados' so he sold the Prados to me and my dad and guess what? The price was not a steal, it was to **** low to resist. Ok, he sold the 2 Prados to us for just under 1.5 million pesos. Imagine that's just like 750 thousand per Prado. Mas mahal pa ang Focus kundi kasing mahal niya yung bagong 1.5 Jazz. I told my uncle that the price was too low but he just kindly said "hey, anything for family!" Since were not dumb not to take up his offer we purchased it and after a month we also purchased the third Prado, the most beautiful Prado of the 3. Color Dark Blue V6. Now, we don't have any parking space. Me, I'm more of an SUV guy rather than a car guy. I enjoy the height, torque, roomy feeling and of course the array of audio and video entertainment you can install in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Basta gusto ko road trip! The only hinderance I'm having are my health. I frequently have palpatations in my chest and at times I have difficulty breathing. Sometimes even if I force myself to inhale I could only take in a few but when I exhale, I exhale a lot then that's when I start to panic, tremor and feel dizzy. I also have vertigo. I already checked up with my neuro, 3 of them and all of them said that's there's nothing physically wrong with my brain but my real test is with my cardiologist since I haven't had any solid tests done with my heart except an ECG, blood test for cholesterol and BP. Maybe by next week the Cardiologist will tell me to undergo a 2D echo just so that It'll clear my thoughts and worries and I'll have a concrete medical record. For me when the 2D echo is done and nothing is wrong then it'll definetly uplift my spirits. Biro mo kaka 26 ko lang last week! Kakatakot bata ko pa pero baka may heart disease ako or something.

Anyway, back to the topic. The farthest I've been with my Sorie is Batangas palang pero doon sa Prado naka-abot na ako up to Iloilo. Now, if only the build and interior finish of the Sorento was as solid as the Prado then that would be a definite winner.

Oh, I don't live in Makati anymore I'm in Commonwealth ave. t.sora. Gusto ko sana sa Corinthian kasama mga pinsan ko kaso ang hirap lumabas. I'm also waiting for my place doon sa Soho Condo Bldg. na matapos sa Shaw Blvd. Siguro by that time ibibigay ko nalang kay mama yung Sorento. My mom is scared of driving cars kasi muntikan na siya maipit ng dump truck at aluminum van 3 years ago kaya whenever she goes out naka Starex siya, Hiace, Expedition kundi yung bagong Pajero.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
48 Posts
We're currently talking to a few experts on how to boost up the Sorento .Will let you know results after the test if ever we do find a way. We also have plans of localizing the body kits for sorento since it's bulky and expensive to ship. We'll update you soon.

*** Wheels is totally an independent and different company from Columbian. It's a dealer - principal distributor relationship only. ***

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*** Wheels is totally an independent and different company from Columbian. It's a dealer - principal distributor relationship only. ***

That's true but don't they also get their vehicles from Colombian motors or from Kia itself? From what the people of Kia Korea told me they said that their prices are regulated weather it's Kia that's selling them or another car retailer. They were even kind enough to mail me the stereo manual for my JenSen unit :00000732: which I've been trying to acquire from Wheels half a year ago! They wanted me to give names and locations of the people or staff who were assigned to me so that they'll try to inform the people in charge of their franchise here in the Phils kasi nakakahiya daw sa reputation nila.

·
Registered
Sorento EX3500V6, LC80, Mitsu Space Gr
44 Posts
Just want to put my 10 centavos worth here - I'm probably one of the early buyers of the Sorento and I got the 3500V6. I've put in almost 40,000kms since I got it in June 2003. Since last May, it's been doing serious offroad duty in Bicol, where we put up the country's first 4x4 camp: Camp Rock. It's not like the Fort Bonificacio mudtrack, this is real 2,500 foot elevation, heavy duty ascent through deep crags and bouldery tracks. Except for some dings and bottom scratches, the Sorento has been able to ferry our guests from the city to Camp Rock without incident. A couple of Xtrails and 1 Escape tried but got stuck halfway up; we've ha dto pull it out of a deep rut.

Anyway, I understand there's now an EX model 2.5CRDi but with the full amenities of the 3500V6, except for the leather seats. I wish Kia Philippines would bring in the top-of-the-line 4WD system that's full-time to cross swords with the Fortuner.

I've had absolutely no problems with my Sorento, inspite of the heavy offroading that it does. It's still cathedral quiet on the city. Uh, yes, there is a small issue about fuel consumption... 5 kms per liter, but the quiet ride of a gas engine is well worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts