Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We just picked up our Kia Rondo 2008 V6 after they performed the clock spring recall thing.

They also did a free walk-around inspection and recommended front and rear brake pads. However, they noted that the brakes are still within service, that the front pads have 3 mm left and the rear pads have even more left at 4 mm remaining.

However, we now get a grinding sound that sounds like its coming from the rear of the car when braking. I don't see how the brakes would do this when they still have 4 mm of pads left?

My suspicion is perhaps the walk-around inspection involved somehow re-positioning the pads or calipers and they will be a bit noisy till they resettle so it's just a temporary thing to ignore?

Any thoughts on this? It's a lower pitched grumbling/grinding, very different from the squealing/screeching you get from the low-pad indicators. Ideas?

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
Hi all,

We just picked up our Kia Rondo 2008 V6 after they performed the clock spring recall thing.

They also did a free walk-around inspection and recommended front and rear brake pads. However, they noted that the brakes are still within service, that the front pads have 3 mm left and the rear pads have even more left at 4 mm remaining.

However, we now get a grinding sound that sounds like its coming from the rear of the car when braking. I don't see how the brakes would do this when they still have 4 mm of pads left?

My suspicion is perhaps the walk-around inspection involved somehow re-positioning the pads or calipers and they will be a bit noisy till they resettle so it's just a temporary thing to ignore?

Any thoughts on this? It's a lower pitched grumbling/grinding, very different from the squealing/screeching you get from the low-pad indicators. Ideas?
Did they take the brakes apart? If you don't know for sure, I'd get a second inspection as 3 to 4 mm doesn't seem like much is left. I know the front and rear service limits are 2mm but these pads on my Rondo wear very unevenly. I made the mistake of inspecting the pads without removal and missed part of the pad being hidden behind the caliper. Part of the pads were well within limits so I didn't change them. I got a grinding noise but wear indicators were not sounding, when I took the brakes apart I was down to nothing on parts of them. Very uneven wear, even with regular servicing. I ended up buying a rotor and pad kit for front and rear for about $200 out of Ontario Canada.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
They may have just peeked at the outside pad through the wheels and didn't actually pull the wheels to inspect the inside pad. You probably do need brakes and they just didn't catch it. Its is very common for rust to cause the one or both of the pads to seize in the brackets, which would cause the uneven wear cjfin mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
grinding - rust. If the noise is not gone after a few brakes - I would look into it.
If the pads were out of specs - you would hear hitch pitch noise.

I second for uneven wear. I got difference of as much as 2 mm between inner and outer pad.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
grinding - rust. If the noise is not gone after a few brakes - I would look into it.
If the pads were out of specs - you would hear hitch pitch noise.

I second for uneven wear. I got difference of as much as 2 mm between inner and outer pad.
I agree about the rust for sure, I forgot that happened to us a few times. Just curious, have you ever tried zinc plated rotors? I purchased my first set, supposed to cut down on the rust.

I wouldn't rely on the squeal indicators. Our inside pads with the indicators were worn down to metal, no noise at all. Funny thing is the squeal indicators were not broken off, they were worn down even with the pad! Outside pads had about 5 to 6mm on them.

We had the car in to Kia several times because of seized calipers and slide pins in the front. Had them "adjusted" and one caliper replaced under warranty. I should be pulling the brakes apart every six months or so and really give them a good cleaning and re-lube.

The maintenance schedule from Kia for brakes is a bit wonky. Inspect every 48000km or 24 months, unless you actually drive your car I guess? Make sure you check out the "severe usage conditions" which basically makes the 48000km or 24 month thing redundant for almost every driver. Just kind of comical that's all.:lol:

·
Registered
Rondo 2008 LX V6 110kmiles, 3rd owner, White, 5 seats
25 Posts
I have the same noise happening every time I take the car after is not been used for about 12 h. But the noise disappear after 2-3 streets corner. I first thought it was due to rust because it started in the middle of winter 2010. I used to leave on a hill and they used a lot of salt on the road. Then I moved last summer to another town but the noise continued albeit is less noisy. It looks like something seize overnight, probably due to rust as other replier mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts