Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So glad I found this wonderful forum site! Thought I would share my experience of this vehicle. To make a long story short: this vehicle has never-ending electrical-related failures.

After surviving a severe read-end collision and being repaired, it was given to me as a gift. The former owner took decent care of it, but it had always given him problems. Now I've had this truck over a year, since '04. ABS didn't work when I got it, but everything else worked fine AFAIK.

Six months after, the MAP sensor (sed the OBD report) was periodically failing and causing the vehicle to stall. Replaced it, worked flawlessly since.
Or so I thought; the doors would sometimes automagically unlock themselves overnight!! Decided to remove the fuse for the doorlocks, which also disables the alarm. Which is fine cuz cats jumping on the car set off the crappy useless alarm.

Months after a careless motorcycler rear-ended me. A month later the heater core sprung a leak, immediately causing the A/T to sporadically shift between 2nd-3rd gears.. not good. Fixed the leakage, tranny worked fine for about a week then refused to give me anything other than 2nd gear.

Computer thinks 'shift solenoid B' no longer works. Never verified that, because I discovered two things to get the gears workin: 1) accelerate to 40mph, stop & restart the engine, and all is well. 2) Flash the headlights off/on. These little tricks worked for a month, but it's totally f'ed up now cuz it will never shift beyond 2nd gear :(

Now the air blower no longer works.

Time to get a new car, one with a warranty. This will become a hobby car of sorts, as everything else is in mechanically good shape. Thinkin' about hard-wiring my own transmission controller, assuming the solenoids still work that is.

- Tom
Fresno, CA

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry to here about your problems, however, I have been lucky with my 99 Sportage. I know that many people have problems with this vehicle, but I haven't (knock on wood)
Definitly don't give up on it though. It has so much potential. If possible, pick up another car that you can "rely on for the time being" and get to work sorting out all the elctrical problems. Then start doing some fun work!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hah, my efforts to inspect the wiring beneath the passenger-side console have made the vehicle un-startable. Still cranks, but it don't sound like the sparkplugs are firing. Crazy. Took it to a real mechanic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts