Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I'm new to this forum, and new to kia also.
I just got a brand new used 1997 kia sportage, and have two things I'd like to know about. Number one is the steering, there is more play in the wheel than I would like, and I have found out that the steering gear is adjustable, has any one done this, or is loose steering a Kia trait?
secndly is the blast of antifreeze smell when I turn on the heat, it this a problem with the heater core/hoses or is this something I have to get used to? I should mention that the smell fades after a few minutes, but it is powerful at first.

Thanks All

ps. my previous car was a 1989 Subaru hatchback, my wife made me get the kia.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Poor "on center" steering is in fact a Sportage trait. But if you feel that the play is excessive you can adjust the steering box. Older Sportages (pre 1998) had a steering box adjustment so you are in luck. Newer Sportages have a fixed steering box.

The basic procedure is to loosen the lock nut and turn the screw clockwise. But you need to be careful. If you tighten it too much you'll damage the steering box. Start with about a quarter turn and see if that tightens the steering. If no effect I suggest you have a pro examine the steering.

A coolant smell when you turn on the heat is bad news. The heater core is leaking. Replacement is a real PITA especially if you have A/C. Basic procedure: Disassemble the entire center section of the dash, including radio and HVAC controls. Discharge the A/C system and remove the evaporator core. Only then can you get to the heater core. Reverse to assemble and recharge the A/C. Again, this is best left to an experienced Kia Tech and the labor will be a killer. An all day affair.

While stop leak might be an alternative I don't recommend them. But that's your call.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Axe, I was hopeing you wouldn't mention the HC, might be time to call in another favor.
Another question, do you happen to know the size of the nut on the adjustment for the steering gear.
Sorry, two other questions, how do I quite the heat shield on the cat converter?

Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry, don't know the size of the locknut on the steering box.

If you find the source of the heat shield rattle you can clamp it with a 3 inch muffler clamp. If it's directly above the cat convertor try bending it slightly so it doesn't rattle against the convertor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts