Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 LX+
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, First post. I just bought a 2013 LX+ Rio5. I had a 2010 Rio5 before and this new car is quite the change. I think I'm going to love it. My only concern is the height of the passenger seat. My wife is not tall (5 feet) and I'm wondering about the airbag in front of her. Would anybody know if the airbag will injure her if it would deploy because of her heigh? She's really low in the seat. She's planning to put cushions. Another question, Why would Kia make the passenger seat lower anyway? Thank you, and have a nice day.

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Hi Mericc welcome to the forums! side note please update your profile so we know where you are from and can help you the best

Passenger seat was designed to be roomy due to the fact that we drive subcompact cars. My 6-7 foot friends have plenty of leg room and then some while riding passenger.

Airbag should not be a problem seeing Kia does extensive tests for crash testing regardless of height of passenger and nothing bad has happened yet.

Cushion would be a good idea if shes really low. I might consider that for my 5 foot friends as well haha

TLDR: Kia designed that seat so even super tall people would fit and be comfortable

Hope that help cheers

·
Registered
13 Rio 5 EX Auto & 05 Crysler T&C & 52 Ford 8N
43 Posts
Welcome!
Yep its a common comment - and I seem to remember an earlier thread where somebody suggested getting driver's side seat runners/mounts from a country that drives on the opposite side of road - and thereby upgrading the passenger. Not sure anything came of that.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Hello. And welcome.

I'm 6 foot and still fall into the passenger seat. But I quickly forget I'm lower than the driver. Someday I'll raise the passenger seat.

And Mericc, good questions. So really join the community and fill out your profile please. It helps us to know if we're talking to NYC or Malaysia. Thanks!

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,531 Posts
Hi everybody, First post. I just bought a 2013 LX+ Rio5. I had a 2010 Rio5 before and this new car is quite the change. I think I'm going to love it. My only concern is the height of the passenger seat. My wife is not tall (5 feet) and I'm wondering about the airbag in front of her. Would anybody know if the airbag will injure her if it would deploy because of her heigh? She's really low in the seat. She's planning to put cushions. Another question, Why would Kia make the passenger seat lower anyway? Thank you, and have a nice day.
welcome, check your owners manual with regards the air bag as its more to do with weight than height as 5' would not be a height problem. If the passengers airbag lights goes out then its okay.
Some people have put spacers on the bolts where its bolted into the floor that has helped, but don't over do it and use a good fit as you still need sufficient thread to hold it to the floor.

also as mentioned, see my signature line below. :D

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
Welcome, it's cool to see this forum grow by the day!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 LX+
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the replies, So I guess my wife should not be concerned about getting whacked by the airbag. And sorry about the profile thing. It's updated now . So Thx again and have a nice day.

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Thank you all for the replies, So I guess my wife should not be concerned about getting whacked by the airbag. And sorry about the profile thing. It's updated now . So Thx again and have a nice day.

Haha no need to be sorry we just do it to help everyone the best we can :)

Good luck with your new ride and let us know if you need any help

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
I tired putting my wife in the back seat :)

Usually I have my daughter (11 yr old) in the car an she commented on the low seat so we just use a car booster seat....
My Aunt is very short (4' nothing) and she had her drivers seat raised (Cavalier) but needed permission from the local DMV (Quebec,Canada) for us to do the modifications ...

Cheers,
Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts