Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing any inaccuracies with their built-in GPS system. I've owned hand-held GPS systems and they worked great, but so far our built in system, when locating an address, is quite far off the mark. It will get you to the right street, but quite a distance from the actual address. Is does, however, seem to be dead-on when you're watching your own location on the map as you drive.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo
91 Posts
gps

I have found when you look up a store, it gives me 50 miles away. Like, if I want Best Buy it will show me all others about 50 miles from where I am. Thats why I keep my Garmin in the car.

·
Registered
11 Optima EX 2.4, 04 F-150, Burgman 650, V-Star Midnight Custom
148 Posts
I think most of the OEMs use the same mapping company for their maps. My friend bought a new BMW X5 last year to drive cross country. He was disappointed with the performance and used the Garmin from his motorcycle and found it much more detailed and accurate. He use the built in one for the "big picture".

·
Registered
2011 Optima Hybrid
18 Posts
I had an opportunity to put mine to use on a 600 mile round trip a couple weeks ago.

Got me to where I was going, with one location that was off by 10 miles. :eek:
This location was a rest area that was added enroute. As I was entering the rest stop, which I could easily see from the road, the nav was telling me to keep driving another 10 miles.

One thing I really dislike about the nav is there is just to much crap on the display around the borders, not to mention that it displays every upcoming exit it can on the right side of the screen, of which I only need one at any given time. It needs to be simplified and with better graphics.

With all that in mind, I went to Costco and bought a Garmin, which I am more comfortable with. When using it a few days ago to find an Autozone that I had never been to I used both units in order to compare. The Garmin said it was on the right side of the street and nav said it was on the left. Well it was on the left. The nav won. WTF??? :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts