Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just picked up my Red Picanto 1.1 lx Automatic, excuse my ignorance I have just read the manual about the Gearbox and it states if you turn the Overdrive off the Gearbox only shifts between gears 1 2 and 3 with overdrive selected it uses gear 4 as well my quetion is when should it be off I know it should be in overdrive for motorway use....can anyone help I have never driven an Automatic before thanks BARRY :beer:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Hello
I too have never driven an automatic but I am an observer for the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) for the local group and recently a couple of fellow observers have purchased cars with automatic gearboxes and was asking many questions regarding the use of automatic gearboxes with advanced driving, the answer is that whether you was taught to drive in an automatic or where you have had one since the rules are exactly the same.
The OverDrive button should be used when you wouldn't want the vehicle to move into 4th gear such as when travelling down a hill when the use of engine compression braking should be used to prevent the car "running off" and constant use of the brakes could cause them to heat up and cause brake fade.

You should use the 2nd gear option for travelling round junctions and roundabouts, it could also be used when travelling up hill when the car moving up an extra gear could cause a loss of power.

Kevin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Kevin. I'm just wondering if gears 1 to 4 in an automatic car are the same as those of a manual car and if so then wouldn't it be a strain on the car just to travel on gears 1,2 and 3?

EVT :57:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
There are 5 gears to the manual version of the Picanto, as the car selects it own gears I would change at a specific point.

Kevin.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
I don't know the gear ratios for the Pica but usually automatics have another layout. First of all most autos have 4 speeds, manuals have 5.

Today, this picture seems to change, as many manuals have 6 and autos have 5. I think some German luxury cars even have 7 automatic steps...?

The automatic cars I've driven (except for Mercedes) all start in 2. unless you make kick down from start. Thus, I assume the gear ratios are slightly different than in the version with manual transmission.

By the way, I've tried driving extreeemely light footed for a fortnight. One of my "tricks" was starting in 2. (manual transmission) etc. It seemed to help marginally on fuel consumption. However, my habits and temper wouldn't cope with this excessive use of clutch all the time :p

Daily I'm using 1., 2., 4. and 5. speed. Alternatively 2., 3., 5. speed. This is due to the fact that 90% of my driving is in an area without queues and traffic lights. The tiny 1,1 engine can do this but it takes some weeks getting used to this driving pattern.

Cheers,
Kneeler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts