Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - only 2200kms on the car - and I have my first warranty issue. Oddly, we hadn't had our Rio5 at highway speed until last weekend. As soon as we got to 100kms/hr, this really weird (and loud) noise starts coming from the passenger side window area *whoosh* *chukka chukka* *whoosh*... what the?

So I quickly pull over and inspect, but discover nothing until I look under the car. Ah hah. Turns out that the plastic wheel liner has a flap attached to it, which sits in front of the tire (have no idea what it's for - and neither does my dealer :rolleyes:). And I notice that a couple of it's clips are missing in the very front, which has thus allowed the flap to press against the tire as soon as we hit the telltale threshold speed. Needless to say, it shredded the damn thing.

Dealer cut out the melted part - temporary fix
Other side, what it's suppose to look like.

Yet after explaining all this to our dealer - they refuse to warranty it :mad: $76 plus 1 hour install. For something that wasn't even our fault. The dealer just keeps saying that "because the part is wrecked now, Kia won't warranty it if we send it in" so basically... too bad.

So wait... if a bolt lets loose in the engine bay and somehow causes a massive failure, you won't warranty that either? The service guy acknowledges my point and then offers to pay half. Uh huh. Better than nothing I suppose....

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
No. No. No. Accept nothing else but full repairs or something like 4/5 on warranty and you pay the rest. No half & half. This is not the first time I hear stories of the so acclaimed Kia/Hyundai 5 years warranty having a lot of "holes" in it. I would raise hell if it happened to me. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - I hear ya. Not particularly worried though, as I have in "in" with the owner of the dealership (and the service guy doesn't know this ... yet). lol.

And I agree Racineur, my real point was to highlight the chintzy approach Kia has in regards to their "best in the business" 5 year warranty. So far, it ain't looking great (especially for a cheap part and a spanking new car).

To be fair, most every brand treats warranty issues this way now - making it more difficult to claim. But the pressure and more strict guidelines come from the manufacturer. So when customers squeak hard - many dealers will ultimately grease you, but they do end up eating the cost. So I flip flop on whether I should push them right now - and instead save my "squeaking" for something more costly down the road.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
So far I've been getting good experience with the handling of the warranty but maybe not so lucky to had it experienced in the first place.
My little Rio was overheating in two cases, each time I called road side assistance to get the car to the dealer. Each time the repair was done without charge although it is still a pain to have to go through this. I hope that the overheating problem won't occur anymore although quite frankly I'm getting nervous when I get stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
So far I've been getting good experience with the handling of the warranty but maybe not so lucky to had it experienced in the first place.
My little Rio was overheating in two cases, each time I called road side assistance to get the car to the dealer. Each time the repair was done without charge although it is still a pain to have to go through this. I hope that the overheating problem won't occur anymore although quite frankly I'm getting nervous when I get stuck in traffic.
what was the repair, and was it the same repair both times???

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
I'm going to guess, it was a cooling fan resistor.

·
Registered
2012 Rio LX 2012 Soul+ 2.o
61 Posts
I am on my second liner. I banged up my little guy about 2 months into ownership, got a new fender and bumper. 2 weeks out of the shop I had the right liner issue . . I thought my car was falling apart as I was on a bridge over the San Francisco Bay going about 80. I pulled off saw the issue and tied it off. I took it back to the body shop and they warrantied their work and replaced wit. Now that I see this though, it is possible that it was a non-shop related problem. Hmmmm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts