Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got 06 Kia optima, start out saying it is the actually 07 engine it seems, has a timing CHAIN not a belt, bought the car new, got 74k miles, not changed oil real regularly as I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in the motor usually lasts better between changes then regular oils, everything was find til the other day, brought home a pizza, went back outside the go to store, only way describe it like someone pulled all spark plugs out while i was eating my pizza, turn key it just turned and turned over like no compression, turns out there's no spark either hear fuel pump turning on when turn the key, checked all fuses under the hood seem fine.

Bout year ago i got check engine light came on code p0340 camshaft pos sensor, bought a scan tool figured cars these days got to have one, cleared code 2 weeks later came back on for 2 days went out on it's own,,,,,month later came back on,,,,checked it verify it was p0340 code, didn't clear it,,,bout week later it went out on it's own, that was a month ago, came on again 3 days before got my pizza, not it just won't start, bought new cam sensor installed it still no start or fire, sounds no compression, just got new crank sensor today, but to cold to go outside, 26 degrees wind 40+ mph friggin cold, oh check ohm on the OCV 6.9ohms specs say 6.9-7.9 so guess OCV ok but still could clogged sending false P0340 signal I'm thinking,,,, no start just crank sensor,,,I hope any help would be appreciated for sure.

Also there was no drive-ability issue, performance was top notched ever since got to the car, even up to when I shut it off take the pizza inside, that's what is really weird

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Did you check the ICM relay? I'm assuming you are in the USA (this is an international site, and you don't list a location on your profile). If you are in the USA, given the information you provided (orig. owner, less than 10 yrs, less than 100k miles), your car is still under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't checked that yet the relay, yes usa, yes it's under warranty, but i install a k/n air cleaner, don't have the original kia air cleaner box, was thinking as soon as they seen that, that be there way out of any warranty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have a k&n cold air intake on mine. The dealer in my area didn't care about it and did all of the warranty work when it was still young. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess time have towed to dealership, installed new cam and crank sensors still no spark, at all. this is real bummer

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Unless the dealer can correlate the problem with modifications you have done, they still have to cover it under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Just taking a shot in the dark.... If you have a cold air intake, what happened to the mass air-flow sensor? If the ECM can't get a signal from the MAFS, it might not be letting it get any spark. It shouldn't but I don't see what else it could be. Here is a flow chart from Kia:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Symptom = Engine will not start or is hard to start (Cranks OK)

Suspect area
Remedy

Ignition lock switch
Inspect ignition lock switch, or replace as required

Ignition coil
Inspect ignition coil, or replace as required

Spark plugs
Inspect spark plugs, or replace as required

Ignition wiring disconnected or broken
Repair wiring, or replace as required

1 - 9 of 9 Posts