Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12' KIA Rio5 SX & 15' KIA Sedona SXL
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go more modern & euro with the antenna on my 12' Rio5 SX!!!:cool:

It changes up the look nicely matching the flow of the contours of the new body design of the Rio5, plus it is a functional antenna, not just for aesthetics! Reception has not been interrupted or changed, even with the Sirius satellite radio!

Thanks to VG Shark Fin Antennas for an awesome & simple upgrade! VG Shark Fin Antenna - Home

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Looks very nice. But the model selection only goes up to 2009. Did you just use that along with the UD color code? How easily was the installation? How much was shipping? How long did it take? Is that enough questions?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan
19 Posts
What's the reception like? I have found that my Rio does not pull in stations on the fringe that I had no problem with in my Mazda 3. Also, how does it connect to the base that's already mounted on the roof?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks very nice. But the model selection only goes up to 2009. Did you just use that along with the UD color code? How easily was the installation? How much was shipping? How long did it take? Is that enough questions?

No worries! Sent them an email: "Looking to replace the stock antenna, for my AM/FM/Sirius Satellite Radio, with a functional shark fin antenna. The vehicle is a 2012 Kia Rio5. It would be (Qty: 1 x 2012 Kia Rio5 - Hatchback - UD/Clear White) for the updated version of the shark fin to fit over an AM/FM/Sirius Satellite Radio antenna, thanks for any info.!" Of course, you would have to give them your vehicle color code.

Received an email response from them that broke down the pricing: "Thank you for your email.

Our pre-released Mark II VG shark fin antenna is compatible with your 2012 Kia Rio5 and we do have Clear White / UD. For more information and pictures, please see the email below. We've sent you a Paypal invoice so that you can order at your convenience.

Regards,
Visual Garage Inc.

---------------------------------------
This new shark fin antenna was developed specifically for vehicles that have an AM/FM rear-roof whip antenna and a Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antenna integrated into the larger antenna base. Our Mark II antenna will allow you to replace the whip portion of your AM/FM antenna and cover the entire large antenna base on your roof to give it a clean look. Installing this antenna will not hinder the operation of your Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antennas that are integrated into your antenna base, however, it may be possible to notice a slight drop in reception in AM/FM especially when listening to stations that are located further away or stations that have weaker signals. Please click the following links for some sample pictures of our new shark fin antenna:

VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II

We are happy to announce that we can continue to offer our Mark II version at the same price as our Mark I version, currently priced at $69USD (including painting to your OEM color as usual), plus shipping/handling for $12USD to USA/Canada or $28USD to International locations (including tracking number & insurance). GST & HST applicable for Canadian orders. Lead time is around 2 weeks before ready for shipping.

To place an order, please send an email to [email protected] and provide the information below, and a Paypal invoice for ordering will be sent to you shortly afterwards . You will be able to pay via Paypal account, eCheck and most major credit cards. To find your color code, please visit this page: VG Shark Fin Antenna - Paint Code

Ordered the "shark fin antenna" on June 8th & received it nicely packaged on June 18th! Great upgrade!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the reception like? I have found that my Rio does not pull in stations on the fringe that I had no problem with in my Mazda 3. Also, how does it connect to the base that's already mounted on the roof?
I have not noticed any change in reception to the radio stations nor the satellite radio, which I had initially been worried about. So far, the reception has been great!

In one of the pictures...you'll notice a wire underneath the fin. The whip antenna can be screwed off the base, then the wire is attached with the supplied screw(s) to the base, very simple install!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Soooo... is this a 5 min install then?

Regardless, thanks! Going on my wishlist too (which is growing every day) lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soooo... is this a 5 min install then?

Regardless, thanks! Going on my wishlist too (which is growing every day) lol.
Depends on how fast you can screw on the wire attachment to the base, lol!:D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Depends on how fast you can screw on the wire attachment to the base, lol :D
... not very fast... 30 minutes it is then, haha ;)

Out of curiosity, I also checked ebay on these things and found them super cheap (like, under $5)... but they're not functional! Huh? Personally - I'd rather pay my $82 to have the VG one, painted to match & functioning like OEM. Nice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stop giving me more expenses!!

looks good, some more close up shots would be fantastic, but don't go out of your way.

i'm assuming this fits normally on the non-sirius based antenna? mine is purely for AM/FM
Lol, so many things to buy! Thanks! Here's some other close-up shots. As far as the "shark fin antenna" fitting on a non-sirius based antenna, probably be safer to contact VG Shark Fin Antenna (VG Shark Fin Antenna - Home)

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... not very fast... 30 minutes it is then, haha ;)

Out of curiosity, I also checked ebay on these things and found them super cheap (like, under $5)... but they're not functional! Huh? Personally - I'd rather pay my $82 to have the VG one, painted to match & functioning like OEM. Nice.
Yup, saw those also, but my thought process went similar to yours. The color match is perfect also, plus great build, design, & quality! Very happy! :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not sure if my GPS is housed within the roof antenna box, but if so - wonder if this will interfere or not. Hmmm... might have to look into this a bit further.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure if my GPS is housed within the roof antenna box, but if so - wonder if this will interfere or not. Hmmm... might have to look into this a bit further.
This is according to VG: "This new shark fin antenna was developed specifically for vehicles that have an AM/FM rear-roof whip antenna and a Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antenna integrated into the larger antenna base. Our Mark II antenna will allow you to replace the whip portion of your AM/FM antenna and cover the entire large antenna base on your roof to give it a clean look. Installing this antenna will not hinder the operation of your Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antennas that are integrated into your antenna base, however, it may be possible to notice a slight drop in reception in AM/FM especially when listening to stations that are located further away or stations that have weaker signals. Please click the following links for some sample pictures of our new shark fin antenna:

VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II"

So, it should not interfere with the GPS. :cool:

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Maybe its just the lighting, but in the latest pics the fin looks whiter than the vehicle, and looks kind of plasticy. Is that true in real life or do you feel it looks very much like the car's paint?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe its just the lighting, but in the latest pics the fin looks whiter than the vehicle, and looks kind of plasticy. Is that true in real life or do you feel it looks very much like the car's paint?
Nope, it looks true to the car's paint. Used an "overexposed" editing tool on my phone, because the photo originally looked dark...taken in the garage with not so good lighting...sorry, for any confusion on the latest pics! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i noticed it looked slightly see-through in the fourth shot
Yup, sorry for the 2nd, 4th, & 5th shot...they were edited with an "overexposed" tool, because they were originally too dark, but the paint does match the car perfectly. I'll try to take some this afternoon with good lighting, thanks! :cool:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts