Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Have had my new Sorrento XSE for 1 month, absolutley love it!!! When i can finally work out how to get a JPEG photo small enough in kb's to post it I will. Please help!!. ....It looks the biz (many non standard extras!).
Anyway to my points.
1)Its blackand it attracts dirt from miles around. Anyone know the best wax for a black car, that'll keep it gleaming and hide the inevitable small whirl mark scratches you get when you clean it?
2)Because of the above I would like to fit large mudflaps, instead of the small ones which are pretty ineffective as the wheels are now 18'' low profiles and wide too.
All help much appreciated
Andy :eek:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
That is one high maintenance color; I know, my truck is black.

Anything you touch the paint with will scratch the paint and cause swirl marks. Wash mit/brush/sponge, drying towel/chamoise, wax applicator and even the wax itself can cause swirl marks.

In my opinion, and I say that because EVERYONE will have an opinion, wash with a sponge. Not just any sponge, go to the hardware store and find a grout sponge. They are cheap, so get two because you will want one for the bottom of the car and one for the top. These sponges rinse cleaner than wash mits so you're less likely to scratch the car with dirt you've already washed off. They aren't the most pliable instrument to wash with, so don't be afraid to cut holes and notches in it so that it forms to curved surfaces better.

While you're at the hardware store, get some PVC rings and some glue. You are going to glue them together and put them in the bottom of your wash bucket. This is so the dirt has a place to go, and you're less likely to pick it up after you drop your sponge in the bucket. Other things work for this too, but this is what I like.

After your Sorento is washed, take the nozzle off of your hose and turn the pressure down. Run a flowing stream of water over the vehicle because this will make the water sheet off. It works very well if you do it right and you won't need to scratch the car by drying it so much.

The only time I actually dry my cars is when I am going to wax or polish them so that I don't take the risk of scratching them. After the water sheeting step, they dry very quick anyway.

Then I usually clay bar the whole vehicle. It's strange that it works at all, but you basically take a certain spray (clay bar box will say what to use), spray a little section of the car and then take a special bar of clay and go over it. This removes contaminants from the surface that you can't even see. After you do a section, dry it off and rub your hand over it, then rub your hand over a section that you haven't clay-bar'ed. The contaminants will come off when you wax or polish if you don't clay bar and create small scratches.

Then I usually polish, once a year at least. Polish will remove scratches, where wax just covers them up. Some polishes will just cover also, so find one that says it doesn't contain any silicones. For application and removal, I use a 100% cotton towel; some people insist on cloth baby diapers. Use one for applying it, and a few others (unfolded and always shaking it out) for removing it. If you go over it quickly first you'll remove most of the excess polish. Then go over it more thoroughly to buff it to a shine.

Do the wax the same way. Paste wax lasts longer than liquid wax, but it honestly isn't much longer. Paste wax also tends to ball up when you're removing it and that can cause scratches also.

Mequiars products work really well, but I'm going to try something different next time. The finished job turns out beautifully. The color is deep and shiny, but I've tried three different waxes of theirs and they don't seem to last very long. I bought some new stuff from a car show, but I haven't used it yet.

So far, this is the best technique that I have come up with. Unfortunately there is no one right way (or materials) to use. Like I said, EVERYONE has an opinion.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
WOW...some really good tips KIAMech...do you mind if I copy this and add this to another forum? I will quote you and everything...Very good information and should be shared amongst the masses. I will be trying everything you said....thanks for the tips we all appericate it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can use most camera software to resize your jpeg if it's to big. Other than that host it via tinypic.com cos they will resize it automatically. Or host via cardomain.com as they do the same. Other than that email it me and I'll do it for you and email the smaller version back to you :grin:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I don't mind at all lxedition. I have tried almost everything over the last 12 years and I'm still on the quest for the perfect way to do this and the perfect materials to use. I guarantee this will work better than most techniques, so I'm glad to share what I know.

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
I also have a black one and have been using almost exclusively Mothers detailer instead of wax. I agree it does get it's fair share of dust and recently I have been experimenting with not waxing it. It still stays shiny and I don't have to wash it every day (I notice it gets VERY dusty even after one day.) But realise that the wax is contributing to the dust atraction. When you put it on and take it off you magnatize the vehicle a bit and there by attracting the dust even more.

One thing though about mine is I had the paint protecter applied. This stuff works and I think it helps me in not having to wax it all that often.

Another tip for you is the Mr Clean system. If you use it in the shade and no wind it works awesome. I personally wash mine late in the day when the sun is low and then back it into my garage to dry itself. There are virtually no water marks and it is really shiny for days.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
I will look into the Mr. Clean a little more I was a little skeptical at first but I see and hear more and more people actually liking the system and I just saw a commerical on it a few minutes ago and was wondering should I invest in one?

·
Registered
72 Posts
:p
Hey you UK dudes ..... re the cleaning with ' clay ' that has been posted above.
If you don't believe them ( & lets be honest who did !! ) go to Halfords, look in the car care section & low & behold, a new product has come out that is a spray on clay & does exactly what Kiamech says it does, cost's £11.99.
Cant wait to try it out, couple of weeks should do cus of work load, hols etc. Keep y al posted on results !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh! & thanks Kiamech ..................

Toodle pip

B)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts