Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is 2007 kia magentis 2.0 EX ,petrol,automatic,a good car to buy?is there any known problems?do this motor,2.0 petrol,144hp,got chain or belt?
is there problems with the automatc gearbox?
is it a good car to drive in the winter,on ice and snow?the winter is long in norway..

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I can't comment on the specific engine to your vehicle (I have a 2.4L I4 with a chain), but I can say that the vehicle itself is extremely well-built and reliable. I am pretty sure in global markets, the engine and transmission are the same as the US-spec Spectra (Cerato, globally), which is a very reliable powertrain - even though it uses a timing belt. I have heard of many Spectra/Cerato vehicles with high mileage and very few problems. The only out-of-the-ordinary thing I can think of is that the rear brake caliper slide pins must be lubricated frequently, or they will seize. This is especially true in a climate like you and I (I'm in Michigan snow belt, USA) where salt and sand are used on the roads in the winter. I usually do mine twice per year, spring and fall. It is an incredibly simple procedure, takes me 20 minutes at most. Otherwise car has been solid as a rock with 84,000 miles (135,200 kms). No rust at all after 7 winters.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,939 Posts
I took a look at your car and it really looks good.
If you follow the maintainence guidelines and keep the fluids and belts replaced you should have a reliable car.
Programming of the BCM varies from country to country..Hopefully they will "correct" the locking problems
ENJOY!
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the automatic gearbox-oil was changed at 45000km,next change 90000km.
the engine got chain.yes,i will take good care of the car!

·
Registered
2009 Kia Optima, 1999 Ford Mustang, 2002 Ford Ranger, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
1 Posts
My wife's 2009 Optima just requred a new transaxle with only 64,000 miles on the car. We bought the car used, had good luck with the vehicle for two years, then the problems started. The ESC light comes on intermittantly in perfect, dry weather, the SRS system was throwing codes, and the transaxle started slamming into first when slowing to a stop. We did not expect full warranty coverage since the warranty expired at 60,000 miles on the used vehicle, but we did expect at least a partial reimbursement as a major transaxle failure at such low mileage should not occur. After contacting Kia corporate, we were told basically, "tough". Apparently these vehicles are nice for people who either lease them or replace them before they start piling on the miles. They are garbage for people who like to keep cars for long periods of time. We have not had a transmission failure in any of our previous vehicles until well over 100,000 miles. We will not be replaceing the Optima with another Kia product.

Our 2009 Optima developed a very hard downshift from 2-1 while slowing to a stop. We had no issues with the transmission up until 62,000 miles. By the time we took it to the dealer at aroud 64000 miles, we were informed that the transmission was toast and needed a replacement unit for $2700 USD. The warranty expired on the vehicle at 60,000 miles and Kia is not willing to work with us for even a partial reimbursement which tells me they do not believe in their own products and do not wish to keep customers. I was not expecting full coverage, but $500 towards the repair would have gone a long way to convince me that Kia products were worthwhile vehicles. Up to this point we had a few minor issues with the car such as nuisance TPS lights, a fogged headlight, and an issue with the SRS system which had to be reset. We will be selling our Optima and going back to buying American before the warranty on the rebuilt transmission expires. I was hoping that the Optima would have been a good long term car for my wife, but I refuse to keep a car that has major mechanical failures at such low mileage. For comparison, her last car, a 1997 Buick LeSabre went well over 150,000 miles with few repairs. :(

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,553 Posts
My wife's 2009 Optima just requred a new transaxle with only 64,000 miles on the car. We bought the car used, had good luck with the vehicle for two years, then the problems started. The ESC light comes on intermittantly in perfect, dry weather, the SRS system was throwing codes, and the transaxle started slamming into first when slowing to a stop. We did not expect full warranty coverage since the warranty expired at 60,000 miles on the used vehicle, but we did expect at least a partial reimbursement as a major transaxle failure at such low mileage should not occur. After contacting Kia corporate, we were told basically, "tough". Apparently these vehicles are nice for people who either lease them or replace them before they start piling on the miles. They are garbage for people who like to keep cars for long periods of time. We have not had a transmission failure in any of our previous vehicles until well over 100,000 miles. We will not be replaceing the Optima with another Kia product.
Ford's warranty cover on the transmission is 60,000 miles, even for the first owner.
My company car, a 2010 Ford Fusion transmission started acting up just before the 60K service, but the tech found nothing wrong, then at 83K it was real bad and we paid for a factory re-manufactured Transmission at $3,900

Ford Corp wouldn't cover this.

Our company are re-thinking their use of Ford products.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Optima 2.4
20 Posts
Ford's warranty cover on the transmission is 60,000 miles, even for the first owner.
My company car, a 2010 Ford Fusion transmission started acting up just before the 60K service, but the tech found nothing wrong, then at 83K it was real bad and we paid for a factory re-manufactured Transmission at $3,900

Ford Corp wouldn't cover this.

Our company are re-thinking their use of Ford products.
Exactly. Every make has problems with every model. As freak things as they are, there is going to be some cars that may break down. We seem to forget that nothing is fool-proof or guaranteed to be good. So a transmission went out after a warranty, and it wasn't covered. That's exactly what any car company would do. Buying any vehicle comes with risks of a problem, and it's the owner's responsibility to fix it. I've had a couple Optimas and neither have gave me problems at all, each with over 100,000 miles. I had a Ford that the transmission went out at 42,000 miles, 6,000 past the warranty. I was upset, but paid for it. Would I ever say Ford makes bad cars? No. Why? Because I am a grown logical person who realizes that there are always going to be some random occurrences that happen, and being that logical person knows I am responsible to pay and deal with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts