Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am about to spend the most i have ever spent on a car, I am very affraid.
Being newly retired we are going to get a secondhand low miler Sedona,2.9 crdi auto for its large caravan towing abilities. New big caravan as well.
Can anyone give me some pointers, or tell me of any issues i sould look for.
I am disapointed about the low LPG posts, but it did seem a bit to good to be true.

**** Brooks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi,

Before I purchased my Sedona I did the rounds and visited most of the garages that produced MPV's and did the comparisons to see what you could get for your pennies. I also checked out the internet sites, looked at NCAP test results, etc., etc.

Every vehicle has its upsides and downsides, from price, mileage, insurance, parts .... whatever. I remember paying over £2,000 for insurance on a sports car a few years back! Madness!!!

There are many upsides to the Sedona. Unfortunately the biggest downside appears to be the mpg BUT for the size of the engine/vehicle you have to ask yourself if it is really that unrealistic? It also depends on how you are going to use the vehicle. Another point would be servicing and parts but I'm no expert there so that would be something to speak to your dealership about or other users of this site.

I too looked at up to 1yr secondhand sedona's. The one thing that immediately stood out was the state of the carpets as they were long-threaded and bitty. They can be made good but that will mean spending a bit of time doing it yourself. I would say investing in a set of mats would be beneficial (again, something to speak to your dealer about). Apart from that, the dealership I went to sold clean, serviced vehicles, all with histories and all under warranty.

In the end I chose brand new and managed to get a deal which I was more than happy with. That was a few months back now and :57: the sedona is running great and I'm more than happy with it. It services all my needs from kids, shopping, holidays and hay bales and I haven't found the mpg to be that bad as I can do a run from Edinburgh-W.Sussex and back on one tank of fuel. However, I'm not carrying overhead luggage boxes nor towing! and when it comes to MPVs ... the name on the badge doesn't matter to me either.

All in all, great value for money!

I wish you well with your choice. Please let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Fiona

:) smiles across the miles :)

p.s. There is brilliant help and support available from this site. Just remember though, people are more likely to speak about faults and problems rather than the good things, as is the nature of this type of site. Still, it's helpful, constructive and is of benefit to us all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by Bigusdickus@Sep 1 2005, 04:20 AM
Hello all

I am about to spend the most i have ever spent on a car, I am very affraid.
Being newly retired we are going to get a secondhand low miler Sedona,2.9 crdi auto for its large caravan towing abilities. New big caravan as well.
Can anyone give me some pointers, or tell me of any issues i sould look for.
I am disapointed about the low LPG posts, but it did seem a bit to good to be true.

**** Brooks
Just remember, if you are using the vehicle to tow you better take care of your transmission maintenance more than a non-towing vehicle. I would do a drain and fill or an extraction and fill on the transmission every 10k. You can request the dealer to do this. With the 10year/100k warranty you have some piece of mind but if you really want your transmission to last well after 100k you need to keep a close eye on it and baby it, especially if you tow.

As with any vehicle, if you treat it right and keep up with the maintenance it should treat you right too!

Good Luck

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
50 Posts
i have had mine over a year, and tow a fair size van,it pulls like train with no faults so far .
We just load the car and go everything goes in the boot after i have folded the last row of rear seats awnning, poles groundsheet plus a fridge etc etc
kia want a lot of money for a towbar (i was quoted £450)l
look on ebay for one then get someone to fit it .
i have had the rear windows done as i people can see whats in the bootspace
i cant tell you what to look out for as i have not found anything wrong !!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think CurlyWurly Girl said it all, I would just add this,

If one thing lets Kia down it is its out of warranty service just read the posts on this forum.

For what you want to use the vehicle for it's an ideal towing vehicle and there are things you can do to improve its MPG.

I would make sure your dealer knows and understands ( get it in writing if you can ), that the vehicle will be used for towing.

Unless your reasonably skilled, maintenance is not a DIY thing on the Sedona and getting at things has not been thought out well, remembering once out of warranty
the Sedona could be a high cost, time consuming vehicle.

You have the option of extending your warranty for 2 years but all its servicing has to be bang up to date and will cost you at today's prices around £1200-00

As for build quality and OMPs, the tyres are not good and if your dealer thinks your keen, as part of the deal you might ask for the tyres to be changed to another brand say something like Firestone.

As for build I recently had a problem with the rear roof lining coming adrift at the rear hatch, a simple problem to resolve by oneself and a common one and as it turns out well known to Kia but not dealt with in its future builds, I don't know if that says anything to you.

Should you buy new?

Myself personally I don't have time to buy new or to go through the Kia servicing
routine, there are however some exceptionally good second owner deals to be had
still with warranty.

I always write this, would I get rid of my Sedona, yes but only if another vehicle came along that offered such room, great ride and comfort.

Are there any other vehicles to be considered especially from the towing angle?

You might wish to look at the Voyager and---wait for it----and this will have forum members laughing in their seats, a well kept/serviced 12 year old Rolls Royce, there are some great bargains to be had and servicing cost are, surprisingly, not bad.
Seacam

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
Bigus, my two-peneth is the following :-

We don't know your total criteria other than 'a lot of money' and '2nd hand low mileage auto for towing'

The Sedona is definately in the big 4x4 league when it comes to towing capacity, thats the single biggest factor in my choice to get one. But I have three kids so definately need an MPV.

You may not need the space, so maybe something like an Omega / Volvo could be up your street.

I only had a £7 - £8k budget but found an ugly duckling Sedona that I'm bringing up to swan status. If your budget is more like the £12 - £14k range then I wouldn't personally buy a Sedona....Assuming an MPV is a mandatory requirement then I will try to track down a 52/03 plated Pug 807/Citreon C8 with the 2.2HDI engine ( also Fiat Ulysse is identical ). Its power/torque is less but so is the weight. But it still has a legal tow limit of 1800kilos which puts it in twin axle caravan territory.

I got my 3½yr old Sedona at the flatter end of its depreciation curve so I'm not grumbling, but I'd NOT be happy with the depreciation on a £14k one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am sorry to say this - but I would say - save you pennies and not get a sedona - it was the largest amount I had ever spent - and sadly if feels no smoother, nicer, more powerful on the road than my volvo 740 GLT with 200,000 miles. (obvious space difference with 4 kids oh and a DVD player which are free in all new ones now anyway)

I still get a clicking from the wheels and the engineers say they can't hear anything at the dealership - it is running well at the moment but still 23-30 mpg. but in the 18 months 24000 miles it must have been taken for non service reasons to the dealership about 11 or 12 times. so far in servicing it has cost £550 (2 services and a paint service (mandatory)) - the next service 9000miles or 7 months time is £329. the front brake pads last about 10,000 miles in an automatic - so that is another £75. at 60,000 miles the service is from £600 <- please not the from.

I would say spend 6-8K on a decent VW Sharan or Ford with 80,000 miles on instead. if it has lasted that long it is bound to go for another 50,000..

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Originally posted by clartsonly@Sep 1 2005, 09:06 PM

I would say spend 6-8K on a decent VW Sharan or Ford with 80,000 miles on instead. if it has lasted that long it is bound to go for another 50,000..
Good grief.. think you got problems on a sedona... ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Ebod, Clartsonly,

I can't remember seeing a lot of Volvo,s tugging caravans,great for trailers, I sold my estate with a 174,000 on the clock and was still going strong and I wasn't afraid to tackle any maintance issues on that car.

I forgot about the Peugeot as a choice, not bad and perhaspe a little under powered for the job but like the Volvo, reliable.

Come to think of it BD might want to consider a Previa, it might be worth a look but that is one ugly vehicle but the Sharan and its Ford twin is not far behind and IMHO, **** difficult to see out of.

It's as I said in another post, I would not recomend a new Sedona to anyone untill Kia get their act together, two, three, four year old secondhand, low mile'er that's a diffrent matter.
Seacam

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would think twice about the opposition too........
The three abreast seating is very tight in the galaxy and french rivals and your using all the seats check to see how close the head rests are to the rear window - still want your kids sitting there ?
I was in a postion where I could buy any and it was the rear seats that done it for me - mind you theres a new sedona arriving next year so it might be worth waiting.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Eco,

Yes, I agree there are two three vehicles on the road whose rear seats are two close to the the rear window.

As for the the three abreast seating, in the seventies I was the proud owner of a '64 Vauxhall Cresta and a Zodiac,--- those bench seats, rarely succesfull youth filled, happy memories.

Some friends are thinking of buying a Fiat Diablo, now there's a seat arangement.

Hasn't somebody already posted a picture of the new Sedona on this forum?
Seacam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all

for these replys. At the end of the day the law says your trailer must not be heavier than 93% of the tow car weight. ( the heaviest 2 wheel drive i have found is the 3L 7 series about 1782 Kilo) The sedona is the only 2 wheel drive at 2200K that will tow a 1800K van. Then you are into Range Rover teritory and 5 grand for something 10 15 years old and £1500 to convert to autogas to make it economic. Then exspensive parts replacement.
I Did look for a Roller but they start at about 5G's for anything decent then 12 mpg.

Bigus

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bigus go on www.vansdirect.net - there doing fiat ducato factory 9 seaters for £ 10700 might be worth thinking about.
Seacam mates dad cabs a doblo; actually a few on the circuit so can't be to bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeh

The large van option is enticing but whilste moving house we intend to live in the van while we look for a new house. this will involve extended periods at touring caravan sites it is important not to look like a 'gypsy' or traveler as they don't let you in, its a compromise all round.

Bigus

·
Registered
Kia Carens CRDI Mk 3
103 Posts
Hi biqusdickus
Were did you find this law which says the trailer or caravan
can only be 93 % of the towing vehicle.
There is a recomendation that you only pull a trailer or
caravan that is 85% of the towing vehicles weight, you can pull
up to 100% of the towing vehicles weight, it,s not recomended,
and it also depends on the vehicle manufactures recomended
towing weight.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
The new towing regualtions are very difficult to work out!

The term they use is maximum authorised mass.

the 2000kg towing limit of the sedona is only if you have a fully loaded car in the first place.!

this is what I found out about towing rules very handy site for lots of other towing information too.

National trailer and towing association

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
I thought it was "manufacturers max breaked tow weight" even if that means its actually greater than the kerbweight of the car.

eg I steered my dad towards getting a Citreon C5 110-HDI estate. Its kerbweight was 1440kilos but its max tow weight was 1500kilos.

(My laguna dTI weights 1310kilos and has a max tow limit of 1600 kilos)

Therefore no copper could pull him if the load is under 1500kilos.

Now back to planet Earth................the towing fraternity recommended limit is 85% of the car kerbweight unless you are an experienced tow'er. This is why I didn't by another Synergie and went for a Sedona. I want a monster 650/6 sized twin axle tourer, but now I've got the right car, the next hurdle is to find somewhere in Manchester to store a van when I get one.

Anyway, I won't digress any further and to bring this post back on track, here's a potential "nothing ventured / nothing gained " Sedona for sale that could be a real gem. It might not be common rail but at £2 grand who gives a monkeys.

http://tinyurl.com/8vmq3

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
I'd seen that Sedona on Ebay earlier too. these motors are depreciating faster than a lead balloon, luckily I'm not too bothered about I've just bought an 03 plate CRDI SE for £12000 with 14000 miles on the clock. My family and I will over the next five or so years add 100000 miles or so to it. I wanted a spacious large vehicle for cruising over to my house in France 3 times a year. I reckon this will fit the bill perfectly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts