Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a, or had a 2008 Sorento LX 3.3L with 68,000 miles. Started to make knocking noise, oil light and engine light came on started losing power. When to the shoulder and it wouldn't start. Went the road service route. KIA dealer called and said the Crank Shaft is locked up. Oil is OK. Needs a whole new motor. They said I would have to bring all my service records and receipts in to get KIA to approve the warranty replacement. I have always done my own service work because I have 2 cars, 2 trucks, a daughter's car and a son's car. I buy oil and filters and other service parts when they are on sale due to the cost of everything I have to keep serviced. I also have a 3 bay shop fully equipped with all the tools. They said because I don't have every receipt, such as for oil and so on the warranty won't cover it. I need some help on what to do. Thanks, Guys

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,108 Posts
I have a, or had a 2008 Sorento LX 3.3L with 68,000 miles. Started to make knocking noise, oil light and engine light came on started losing power. When to the shoulder and it wouldn't start. Went the road service route. KIA dealer called and said the Crank Shaft is locked up. Oil is OK. Needs a whole new motor. They said I would have to bring all my service records and receipts in to get KIA to approve the warranty replacement. I have always done my own service work because I have 2 cars, 2 trucks, a daughter's car and a son's car. I buy oil and filters and other service parts when they are on sale due to the cost of everything I have to keep serviced. I also have a 3 bay shop fully equipped with all the tools. They said because I don't have every receipt, such as for oil and so on the warranty won't cover it. I need some help on what to do. Thanks, Guys
You appear to be in a tricky situation. The dealer says the oil is okay. So follow up with that and determine if the oil is okay, why did the engine fail. Regardless of whether you have every receipt or not, I believe it is on the dealer to prove that what was used caused the engine to fail. If they can't prove you caused it, then warranty should cover the repair, this was the logic used by our Kia rep. That may mean they have to tear it down to the crankshaft and find what caused the failure and go from there. You may also want to call Kia customer assistance and get a case started to help getting everything moving. And make sure they are taking photos of what failed. They will support your/their case for warranty. Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
How about sending a sample of the oil and coolant out to be analyzed by an independent lab. That could help make the statement that you DID take care of the engine by the condition of the fluids at the time of failure. If nothing else you could use this along with pictures of your 3 bay shop and the tool collection in court.
The inside of the engine will also support your claims. If the valve cover and the oil sump have very little deposits build up and the cams show minor wear that should support your claim also. Get photographic evidence of the tore down engine also.
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts