Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went over to the edmunds site and read TONS of complaints about the GMC Acadia. It's funny. Though we all may have one or maybe two minor problems with our Borrego, for a first year model, it's be amazing. I got to say, when I read about the problems - leaking sunroof, door panels, broken seats, etc. - I sigh and think "there but for the grace of God, go I!"

·
Registered
146 Posts
The GMC Acadia was high on our list of vehicles when we bought our Borrego LTD. My wife liked it alot and, I still think it is a good looking vehicle. It just did not have the pulling power that I need. BUT, it is not a true SUV, it's a crossover.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Omg!!!!!

Wow, I did the same thing and checked out the Edmunds Acadia website. I was amazed at the scope of problems encountered. As I had considered this vehicle, I am also glad I went with the Borrego (which was priced $15k less with a far better warranty).

I went over to the edmunds site and read TONS of complaints about the GMC Acadia. It's funny. Though we all may have one or maybe two minor problems with our Borrego, for a first year model, it's be amazing. I got to say, when I read about the problems - leaking sunroof, door panels, broken seats, etc. - I sigh and think "there but for the grace of God, go I!"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unfortunately you must have got one built on a Friday...:(
Mine has been in the shop twice in 9 months only for oil changes. No other problems and we have 25K km. on it already. A lot of fast highway, some heavy towing and the rest stop and go city. Touch wood, its been about the most reliable first year vehicle I've ever had. That being said, it took Mercedes two weeks to figure out that a rear wheel bearing on my car was seizing up which prevented the stability control system from allowing the car to travel at more than 50 Km/hr. Needless to say, I was telling them I was trading up to a new Optima!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had my Borrego for a year, and only had it in to have had a brake sensor replaced (other than having optional bluetooth installed and oil changes). It's been very reliable for me. I'm sorry to hear about your problems. But look at the bright side, no one is complaining that Kia didn't put in seals in the sunroof causing the entire interior to flood out...

·
Registered
20 Posts
LOL, few problems with the borrego.

Mine's been in the shop 12 times in one year, the first time 3 days after i bought it, and they still haven't got it fixed

I'd gladly trade it for a chevy but it's now worth $15k less than when i bought it one year ago and it doesn't work right so........
So you have 1 problem with your Borrego that has caused it to be in the shop 12 times and they haven't fixed it? Or you have had 12 separate problems with your Borrego?

If it's one problem, there is such thing as the lemon law, which by law gives you the ability to return the car. Other than that, maybe you need to find a different service department.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Daag, sorry to hear that.

Like most others, my Borrego has been trouble free. I have some issues with it (I wish the rear glass opened seperately), but this truck and my Hyundai Santa Fe (07) are the best vehicles I have ever owned in my life. In fact, for the first time since I graduated from college (78), I have kept a vehicle long enough to pay it off (the santa fe). I couldn't bear to part with it. I still have 3 1/2 more years on the Borrego though.

I'm using the second dealer and only other one in the area now because the one I bought it at were incompetent fools. I'll never go back there. I thought the new dealer was going to be better but they are short handed and have about a 3 week backup in the service dept because of all the Kias going in to be fixed. They never return calls either. Took me 5 calls to get a hold of somebody to tell me what the latest check engine code means and they said we'll call you in an hour or so to set up an appointment to check it out. i had to call them 24hrs later to ask why they never called me back.

The trans lock up issue has been happening since the 3rd day I had it. I was in a wheelchair from a motorcycle accident I had. Wife drove into the garage and could not get the car into any gear except neutral and drive. She had to call me in the house to roll over to the door and explain to her to shut it off in neutral and block the wheel so it didn't roll into the wall or down the drive. they came and towed it to the dealer who says" it's not doing it now, strange. Just drive it and see if it does it again......"
They've never even tried to fix it they just ignore it if it's not happening at the exact moment it's in the shop. Has happened 4 other times since I bought the car. Other trips are all separate issues that have come up....and only one was fixed.....after 4 separate trips to the dealer and a 2 week wait for parts.....
This thing is a POS for a $35k vehicle. The computer does wacky things all the time, lights go on and off on the dash for no reason, the motor runs terrible at times, missing and almost dying. The AC works great and then all of the sudden blows hot air as if switched to heat. The door weather stripping on all 4 doors falls off all the time, I can go on and on.....the frustrating part is the blank looks from the service dept guys who don't even try to fix it. Replace the sensors or something....why, if you know it's having problems do they refuse to switch anything out for new parts?

·
Registered
334 Posts
BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE THE MAJORITY OF BORREGO'S WE SEE THROUGH OUR SHOP ARE FOR MAINTAINENCE/OIL CHANGES. WE HAD AN EARLY PRODUCTION UNIT THAT HAD A TRANSMISSION/TRANSFER CASE PROBLEM AND IT WAS BOUGHT BACK BY KIA. WE'VE DONE RADIO'S/NAVIGATION IN 3-4 OVER THE PAST YEAR/SINCE INTRODUCED. MOST COMMON COMPLAINT IS TRANS SHIFTING WHICH AN UPDATE/REPROGRAM SEEMS TO FIX. EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE I GUESS BETTER STICK TO GENERALIZATIONS.
KPS

good for you. The majority do have problems though unfortunately

·
Registered
334 Posts
NO NEED TO TAKE SHOTS AT ME. I SEE 6-15 BORREGOS THROUGH OUR SHOP A MONTH SO IF HIGHLIGHTING THE ISSUE'S IVE DELT WITH IS DEFENDING KIA SO BE IT. NOTICE I DIDNT LEAVE OUT THE BUY BACK KIA DID. "ALL KIA'S" WOULD STILL BE A GENERALIZATION UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME FACTS TO BACK IT UP. WITHOUT KNOWING THE HISTORY ON THE VEHICLE OR EXPERIENCING WHAT ITS DOING AND GOING BY WHAT YOU'VE SAID SO FAR, MY SUGGESTION TO YOU FOR YOUR SITUATION WOULD BE TO CHECK THE LEMON LAWS IN YOUR STATE AND PURSUE A BUY BACK FROM KIA SHOULD IT QUALIFY. OH....AND PLEASE COMPLETE A PROFILE. KPS

big surprise that someone named KIAPARTSOURCE would be defending kia.....:huh:

if it's an easy fix why do none of the service managers know to do it? why doesn't kia corporate suggest it or tell them to do it? ya think they'd say after the 4th or 5th time it comes in...."maybe we should do that easy fix so this guy doesn't have to go without a car for a couple days every month.......

not a generalization to say lot's of trouble. i meant however, all Kia's, not just Borrego's. i doubt that my dealer has a 3 week backlog of Borrego's to fix since very few were ever sold. i've only seen 3 ever besides my own...which i wish i'd never seen.

If they're not gonna fix it they should at least take it back, cancel my loan and we'll call it a wash.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure I understand what evidence do you have that "the majority [of Borrego owners] have problems". It seems as though from the responses here that the majority do NOT have problems.

And as for KPS, he has been one of the most helpful contributors to the forum. I understand that you're frustrated - we've all been there at one time or another. I would suspect that it is a challenge for some of the dealers to diagnose and fix the Borrego when there is a problem because there aren't that many out there - and I would suspect there aren't a whole of problem vehicles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree. I guess I need to get the updates to fix the transmission lock issue but other than that im very impressed with the borrego. The v8 is silky smooth and the transmission shifts seamlessly. As a whole, I think the reliability is far superior to GM. With two borregos, and a rondo in the family we haven't had any real big issues. Our GM vehicles have had numerous problems in the past.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ARTWORKZ >>>Please COMPLETE A Profile<<<....assuming You Are In The U.s. Most States Have Lemon Laws For New Vehicles. They Vary Slightly From State To State So Research Your Particular States Lemon Law. Should Your Situation Fall With In The Lemon Law Guidelines You Could Seek Relief By Requesting Kia Buy Back Your Borrego Under Lemon Law. You Dont Necessarily Need A Lawyer For This But Hopefully By Now You've Contacted The Kia Rep In Your Region As Well As Kia America With Your Situation. Kps.

·
Registered
334 Posts
FIRST...THERE ARE MANY INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS ON THIS BOARD SO IF WE KNOW WHERE YOU ARE YOU CAN GET THE RIGHT INFO ON SAY...LEMON LAWS. SECOND, IF WE KNOW WHAT YOUR ARE DRIVING IE 2009 KIA BORREGO WITH A V6/V8? 4WD OR 2WD? SOMEONE MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SAME AND HAVE MORE INSIGHT ON YOUR ISSUES. I'LL TELL YOU NOW SOME OF YOUR SYMPTOMS I'VE SEEN BUT UNLESS THE VEHICLE IM FAMILIAR WITH HAS THE SAME POWERTRAIN AS YOURS THEY MAY/MAYNOT BE RELATED. THIRD, WELL MOST OF US PREFER TO KNOW "WHO" WE ARE TALKING TO. KPS

what does my "profile" matter for? Yes in the US, Oklahoma to be exact, I've been told the lemon laws are for only 90 days but will look into it. thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
You know Artwrks, you seem to be "biting the hand that feeds you". We are all trying to help you. I am sorry that you are having all these problems and yes, Kia should step up to the plate and solve your problems. I was in the same situation with a new Jeep Grand Cherokee in 02. It is very frustrating for a dealer/manufacturer to drag their feet.
I am one who has been very pleased (so far) with my purchase (dealer)and performance of my Borrego.
Robert V

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Other folks here aren't gloating - just relaying their experiences so that folks that read this won't think that the problems you are having are common. KPS was trying to be helpful. If you are looking for help, this forum can be great. If you are looking to complain, well, that's okay too. Just be nice to the folks on here as we all are in the same boat - I mean Borrego.

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
artworkz....
I drive one of the "other" ALL KIAs you claim as problematic ... A 2006 Sspectra and I love it. ( and that's NOT gloating....It's the plain TRUTH) You keep complaining about "All the problems with KIAs" but did you NOTICE that not ONE other person has sided with you?
OK you have a problem or problems....But YOU are in the MINORITY... I am truly sorry that you are having problems with your car....
Keep trying different KIA dealers even if you have to drive to get to a new one... I just think you have a bigger problem with your local dealers and this does happen.

I wouldn't take mine to the dealer down the street when I found he was charging ABOVE list price for parts and made a big deal about the "discounted" invoices (liars).
But another one just north of me has treated me fairly and with respect.

As I said in a recent post I much rather drive my KIA Spectra than a US Government owned GM Cobalt (Like hell they re-paid the loans) . Better features, Better handling, and it doesn't feel like I'm driving a tin can on wheels. This is my FIRST foreign car in my 61 yrs and I do believe It will last a lot longer than the US junk I drove up till now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts