Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Beyond aweful GDI gas mileage

Okay, no mas! My wife has been complaining about the gas mileage on our 2013 GDI Sorento almost since day one. So being not entirely convinced I ran 3 tanks of brand name gas through it and and manually calculated the milege. Guess what she is not only right but it is so bad even I was suprised.

Profile, all of this was calculated with her normal around town driving, no long highway runs:

13.3 MPG, 14.5 MPG and the very best was 16.2

Not even close to even the new spec. So off we go to the dealer facts in hand, and it has an intermittent rough idle at stop in gear (yes it has the latest firmware update). They see no codes and take it for drive to check flow. Guess what they got 11.5 MPG!

Now they have the vehicle and are chasing a ghost in the machine. Highway mileage is around 24 (not so good either). Problem is they can't find anything wrong yet.

So the purpose of this thread is to see if anyone else has had this experience and has some documentation of any fixes. My first guess was either the coil or, the ECU and injection system. Also it seems that when you go to coast the Trans doesn't release the torque converter so there is a ton of engine drag.

So I throw this out looking for help.

Pat

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
Good morning Pat,

I'm thinking it's no so bad all depending on your driving habits and what part of the country your from...let me explain, for example I'm a Canuck where weather temparature drops down COLD + lots of IDLING to warm things up = POOR! gas milage my V6 is avg. 12 to 16 mpg in extreme cold and SHORT stop and go trips and hwy driving avg is 20 to 26...

Summer or warmer temperatures will greatly improve things, you must also factor road conditions, snow/slush will cause a lot a drag, hills or mountain country roads...wind, even your driving habits, how you excelarate, brake, idling...did you change your tires or using WINTER tires...gas milage has always and will always be topic of discusion with many OPINIONS that will vary depending on your way of thinking or understanding the laws of physics...hey I'm starting to sound like a shrink here!!! LOL

the actual GAS quality varies big time, us north Americans are using more and more !#$% ETHANOL blended fuels and is creating a lot of problems/sympthoms to our GAS operated machines...not just cars, everything that runs on GAS! I'm sure others will chime in and will be able to compare gas milage, let us know in what part of the country your from so we can have a better idea of your local temperature and enviroment conditions (Landscape)

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
Interesting you say "Trans doesn't release the torque converter so there is a ton of engine drag. " I notice this on mine as well, thinking to my previous SUV "T..." when I let off the gas, the thing will coast for quite a while. It feels like to me that the brakes are slightly applied on my sorento, not much coasting. I hope this is not another problem with mine:(

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX GDI FWD
1 Posts
I have noticed the drag issue as well on my GDI LX though milage averages ~23 mpg on a 50/50 daily mix of city and highway. When I exit the highway on my way to work I rarely have to apply the brakes as the Sorento slows down on its own. With my Saturn Relay van running the same speeds it coasts with considerably less drag and I have to apply my brakes to safely take the exit ramp.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
Experiencing exact Gas mileages as snoel63. Winter fuel blends,ETHANOL,Cold abient temperatures, City driving, & driving habits = Low mpg.Our Winter city driving 14mpg. Summer city driving 18mpg thats with me driving. Wife driving factor drops consumption approx 1mpg.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Interesting you say "Trans doesn't release the torque converter so there is a ton of engine drag. " I notice this on mine as well, thinking to my previous SUV "T..." when I let off the gas, the thing will coast for quite a while. It feels like to me that the brakes are slightly applied on my sorento, not much coasting. I hope this is not another problem with mine:(
It is not the brakes but the smart transmission gearing itself down.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
I have noticed the drag issue as well on my GDI LX though milage averages ~23 mpg on a 50/50 daily mix of city and highway. When I exit the highway on my way to work I rarely have to apply the brakes as the Sorento slows down on its own. With my Saturn Relay van running the same speeds it coasts with considerably less drag and I have to apply my brakes to safely take the exit ramp.
Comparing one vehicle to another in such a way is not truly a fair comparison. Each vehicle drives differently for one.. even the same models drive differently depending on the driver itself and how the vehicle was driven at first.

Mine coasts on to a ramp and I have to apply the brakes quite often. But during the winter less so because of the snow on the ramps and such. Yes I have a GDI EX. The transmission is a smart transmission and learns our driving habits and will gear itself down while coasting as well too.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
It is not the brakes but the smart transmission gearing itself down.
I am sure there is a Kia engineering team that thought this was a great idea (smart), but it escapes me at this time. Do you know the reason for this.:confused: Past vehicles would disengage the trany when in coast mode, tach would show "idle" speed, application of the gas pedal would reconnect without any sensation. Thinking this was saving gas, little as it may be.?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The reason it does this is so it isn't burning fuel when you are coasting. The forward motion of the vehicle goes back through the transmission and torque converter, and keeps the engine spinning. That way, when you are coasting to a stop, the engine isn't burning a drop of fuel. Even my 06s do this. Perfectly normal, but it does take a bit to get used to. Especially if you are also driving a vehicle that doesn't do this.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
The reason it does this is so it isn't burning fuel when you are coasting. The forward motion of the vehicle goes back through the transmission and torque converter, and keeps the engine spinning. That way, when you are coasting to a stop, the engine isn't burning a drop of fuel. Even my 06s do this. Perfectly normal, but it does take a bit to get used to. Especially if you are also driving a vehicle that doesn't do this.
Get ready for all the people who are going to yell at you about how this is impossible. I tried explaining this to several people on a topic here and they basically called me stupid.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
So I am guessing:cool: while coasting, the Kia computer? turns off the fuel injectors. I know the truck that I drive, shuts off 4 cy of the 8 while I am "light" footing it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
So I am guessing:cool: while coasting, the Kia computer? turns off the fuel injectors. I know the truck that I drive, shuts off 4 cy of the 8 while I am "light" footing it.
Yeah. Above a certain speed, the computer shuts off the injectors and uses the transmission and forward motion to 'coast' the vehicle and keep the engine spinning.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
46 Posts
im only getting about 350-400 kms/tank, all city in the winter, so whatever it works out to. usually put in 60+ litres.

·
Registered
532 Posts
im only getting about 350-400 kms/tank, all city in the winter, so whatever it works out to. usually put in 60+ litres.
I'm in the same boat with my V6. I can squeeze 380 to a tank ALL city, and a little over 400 mixed.

What engine do you have?

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Pat--
1--Is the odometer correct? Are you actually driving the miles you're using to calculate mpg?
2--Is a brake dragging? After a drive and coast to a stop, is one brake hot?
3--Are the tires correctly inflated?
4--You might have to find a shop with an old fashioned exhaust emission sniffer that puts a probe up the tail pipe. You'd have to pay a diagnostic fee, but this can show unburned gas that the built in electronics the dealership is counting on might not show if those electronics are faulty. Or the dealership might have one, or the dealership owner might have another shop he owns that has one.
5--Try a different brand of gas. Expect small differences between brands, but if the station or wholesaler or refiner you use is cutting corners, the gas might be all or part of the problem.
6--Don't be surprised if there are more than one causes of your problem that are adding up to the terrible fuel consumption.
7--Check your state's Lemon Law. If you have made the required number of return visits to the dealership to get this fixed and it still has the problem, filing a Lemon Law claim gets the manufacturer's interest really quick. File it under the pollution control section as well as any other section you can put it into.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
RENTOEX I agree with you. If you have a newer vehicle that has instantaneous continuous fuel readouts, unlike the KIA sampling readout, they would see that in coast mode your therotical fuel mileage goes off the charts. My old Villager( Quest) has a digital readout display with a continuous fuel reading system and you can see its immediate fuel usage. Also excellent to try to get best mileage since it shows that what you may think is a light foot on the throttle is in fact getting into it too hard. Don't know why KIA doesn't go for this excellent idea, since their computer system is already sampling it without the dash display thousands of times a second. Last, many drivers feel that the vehicle is dragging when coasting, but if they use the manual override, they will see that the transmission probably has shifted down one gear so that it can be ready to pick up speed once throttle is reapplied rather than load up the engine if RPMS/speed is too low. I feel that the 4cyls really notice this since they lack the torque of the V6 and need to have revs to appear less lethargic. :)

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Funny thing is that other Kia models have instantaneous readouts as well. I had a Rio for a while and it had the same kind of set up as the Sorento dash with the display. It had instantaneous mileage readouts. I'd much rather have that than the avg speed that I've traveled on my trip.

I think what everything is thinking about is how some cars idle while coasting. That's when the drive train is disengaged or the car is in neutral going downhill. That's what I remember my 2001 Santa Fe doing, I think. However, I don't notice the drag too much. In fact, if it is dragging, that means that the engine is not idling and that's when the injectors are shut off. Do this...while coasting, reset the avg mileage display. When I'm coasting and I do it, it shows 0 L/100 km consumption. It would probably show max/infinite MPG for US gauges. This uses less gas than idling. I've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Getting back to the OP's mpg inquiry, my 12 Sorento gdi is only giving 15mpg in the city, really low. I just hit 10,000 miles. Please advice guys. This number hasn't changed much, 15-16 in city driving.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
46 Posts
K, so im getting an average of 15 MPG (US) per tank... is it just me or does that seem horrible?
It's all city, with a shitty traffic system (lots of stop n go), but even still the RPM rarely goes over 3000

1 - 20 of 115 Posts