Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove my dash and get to my radio so I can replace it, but I'm having a major issue. All the info i've found so far like..
The car just isn't the same as they say
How to Remove a Kia Optima Car Radio | eHow.com

So maybe you guys can help me out. I have a 06 I know that for sure, but with like that video, my cup holder and stuff surrounding the gear shift is pretty much all one huge piece. I was able to get some of the gearshift stuff off by its self but never saw the screws they spoke of.

·
Registered
07 Optima 2.4L
109 Posts
Radio Removal for 2006.5-08 Kia Optima

Make sure you check for the correct parts for your model year. The part I used is a 2 DIN (twice the normal thin stereo radio height) Metra kit 95-7324 is for the 2006.5-08 Optima and Hyundai Sonata. http://www.installer.com/pdf/95-7324.pdf. There is also a Metra wiring adapter plug available for the back of the radio, Metra 70-1004, to match the original factory wiring connector. Look for a wiring guide and prices for parts online.

You can even order a new GPS-DVD system now on Ebay designed just for KIA which should come with a plug and play connector to fit right into the existing KIA wiring perfectly. These new all-in-one units are much improved. I installed an older GPS/DVD/ Rear Camera system myself a couple of years ago, but had to splice it in with the male to female Metro adapter. If you want to add a top dashboard mount for your new radio or IPad tablet in the clock area, look for the KR-Auto GPS Navigation Dash Bezel for KIA 07-10 Optima, but there would be additional wiring/splicing to run, as you can then keep the original radio intact.

You will also need a set of handy plastic tool pry bars, which are a great help for removing trim. Search on the KIA Tech website and our site here and on YouTube for tips on removing and installing trim pieces and radios. They can be quite tight, and a pain to remove, with all those hidden push clips and recessed screws. You should not have to remove the shift housing, unless you are putting in heated seats, as I did. Our shifter handle just unscrews off, but newer models have a push-on clip release shifter handle. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure you check for the correct parts for your model year. The part I used is a 2 DIN (twice the normal thin stereo radio height) Metra kit 95-7324 is for the 2006.5-08 Optima and Hyundai Sonata. http://www.installer.com/pdf/95-7324.pdf. There is also a Metra wiring adapter plug available for the back of the radio, Metra 70-1004, to match the original factory wiring connector. Look for a wiring guide and prices for parts online.

You can even order a new GPS-DVD system now on Ebay designed just for KIA which should come with a plug and play connector to fit right into the existing KIA wiring perfectly. These new all-in-one units are much improved. I installed an older GPS/DVD/ Rear Camera system myself a couple of years ago, but had to splice it in with the male to female Metro adapter. If you want to add a top dashboard mount for your new radio or IPad tablet in the clock area, look for the KR-Auto GPS Navigation Dash Bezel for KIA 07-10 Optima, but there would be additional wiring/splicing to run, as you can then keep the original radio intact.

You will also need a set of handy plastic tool pry bars, which are a great help for removing trim. Search on the KIA Tech website and our site here and on YouTube for tips on removing and installing trim pieces and radios. They can be quite tight, and a pain to remove, with all those hidden push clips and recessed screws. You should not have to remove the shift housing, unless you are putting in heated seats, as I did. Our shifter handle just unscrews off, but newer models have a push-on clip release shifter handle. Good luck and keep us posted.
I checked that guide, but how did you get that plate off? what'd you put in there and was it just that plate? Seems too easy..

·
Registered
07 Optima 2.4L
109 Posts
Hi...Not sure what you refer to as the plate. I think you mean the radio trim cover, which will eventually come out and pop off, with some effort. For my MG Optima (late 2006.5 to 2010) the instructions may be different than yours, which might be an early 2006 MS Optima, but first Register on KiaTech website for your specific model, then log in. Go to the SHOP section using your VIN, or model and engine size, then look for COMP (Component) section on far lower right of page, then on the next page, drill down to Body, then Audio, then Repair to see the picture, then next go to Crash Pad and Repair, to check the pictures for parts and processes for removal and assembly.

Note where those very tight push clips and the hidden screws are located. You should use a good set of handy tapered plastic pry tools to remove the Center Fascia trim, but a well-wrapped flat-head screwdriver will probably do, but you might risk leaving permanent marks, so be very careful. You must pry with care, but with sufficient force on the proper locations to slowly pop if off, from one side to the other, from top to bottom, in stages. I always make it a habit to lubricate those clips and screws before putting them back together,to facilitate future access. It will pay to study the wiring diagrams and photos as well on the ETM pages, to become more familiar with the site and your car.

You will need to download the version of Adobe SVG viewer linked above on the main page to properly display all the online images, which you can print for saving. Be sure to make a full search of other postings on our site here and on Google and YouTube, as they are all extremely helpful, if you have never attempted this before. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found my car and It says the trim around ac controls and radio should be the only thing to pop off. But I still can't get it I don't want to break anything. It's not popping off.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
That's the correct trim...
Like the Spectra..It does take a bit of prying...a couple of credit cards and a flat blade screw driver will pop it loose.put the credit card in the gap between the trim and the screw driver to keep the plastic from being damaged.
Once off you will know how and why.
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the correct trim...
Like the Spectra..It does take a bit of prying...a couple of credit cards and a flat blade screw driver will pop it loose.put the credit card in the gap between the trim and the screw driver to keep the plastic from being damaged.
Once off you will know how and why.
Dave
Thanks Dave ill keep on it, where did you start the removal from? the bottom near ac?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mission successful i got the trim off, i was so scared of breaking something but i didn't. that was a bitcccch to get off.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
On the Specs I started on the bottom right corner as I thought that wold be the least visible spot "if" I messed up...Ended up with very tiny marks...
Find something plastic that could be used for shims that is about 1/8" thick and as you pry one area put one under that area and move around the trim to a next area aprox 1.5~2" away...lift that and put another shim. As you go around the trim you will begin to get the idea of what is needed to release the trim piece... worst case you mess this one up and have to get one from a "donor" car at a salvage yard...Not a big deal...
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts