Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Rio sedan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(My experience is with 2003 Rio, but this seems to be an issue with other models and makers as well.)

My 2003 Rio failed inspection, basically because I'd recently had the battery disconnected to fix a problem (which is not relevant to this post). This caused the OBDII to report some systems as "not ready" and it failed inspection. Most of the systems righted themselves before I took it back after about 100 miles. But even after 1,000 miles (and a 3rd trip to the DMV) Evap Sys and O2 Sensor Heater were still reporting "not ready". That's the background. If you're in the same boat, read on.

A little research helped me understand that I had to complete a "drive cycle" but after many frustrating hours of searching I could not find one for my Rio, nor could I find one that had any alternate steps for a car with a manual transmission. (At least not one that would work - one told me to idle in 5th gear, which produced a shuttering stall.) After a couple days of this, I started collecting what I could find for comparable models and eventually settled on trying part of a Honda's cycle b/c it mentioned using the AC and I knew I hadn't had it on in months. This is a sequence that would not occur as part of my normal routine AND the OBDII passed when I went again (soon after) to DMV. So, though I didn't have a code reader to verify it immediately, I'm as near certain as I can be that these steps did the trick. If you've got a similar problem, even with a different model, this might be the ticket for you:

READ all steps before you put the key in the ignition! It's wordy b/c I'm trying to pull together all I'd picked up from various places and what I observed while proceeding. (Make a simple list, maybe, after you've got this all in mind...)

1) Get the drive end up on stands/blocks so the tires are well off the road. You'll need to get the wheels moving fast and going nowhere. (This may seem obvious to some, but in the thousands of words I read to get to the bottom of this, not one person mentioned it - probably because they had a shop to work in. I read plenty of posts, though, from guys who were thinking - as I did until it occured to me to raise the front end - "There's no *%$ing way you can drive a car like this...")

2) Start your engine. Needs to be a cold start (I did it first thing in the morning) and you must NOT first turn the ignition swith to on without starting it. Be ready before you put the key in.

3) Immediately after the engine starts, turn on AC and rear defroster. Idle in Drive* for 2.5 minutes. *Manual transmission: I ran through this cycle twice - once putting it in 1st and letting the wheels spin and once leaving the trans in neutral. My guess is that putting it in 1st is the winner here, but I'm not positive. If you choose to run through this twice, remember that the 2nd time also has to be a cold start. (If you've got a code reader and you can confirm one way or the other, please post a reply to inform a later viewer.)

4) Turn off AC and rear defroster. Speed up to 55 mph at about 1/2 throttle and stay there for 3 minutes. (I just smoothly accelerated and shifted like normal and that turned out to be fine.)

5) Coast down to 20 mph WITHOUT braking or using the clutch. (I was in 5th in the preceding step, so I slipped into Neutral. I had a hard time controlling the decent and did some surging, especially on the low end. Time for this step was not specified and I didn't make a note but I think once I got it under control I held it for a few seconds before proceeding to step 6.)

6) Accelerate to 55-60. Hold there for 5 minutes. (Heads up: Attention Straying Zone)

7) Coast down "to a stop WITHOUT braking". (It doesn't say whether or not you can use the clutch, so I didn't. I slipped into Neutral and let it wind down, without interference from me, until the speedometer needle settled, then shut it off.)

OPTIONAL: Steps 1-4 are the ones that I was most in control of and, luckily, are the ones that are supposed to matter for the Evap Sys and O2 Sensor Heater functions of the OBDII. However, I did not know if my sketchy control during the last few steps would impact the results of the first 4. So I redid steps 1-4 the following day. After the 3 minutes, I slipped into Neutral, let it settle, then shut it off. If you have a code reader and are able to clarify this for future viewers, please do.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
What state are you in? This is useful info to me not because I have a Rio, but because I run these tests multiple times a day.

·
Registered
2003 Rio sedan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For SpongeBob

I'm in Delaware. Good to know you'll keep this in mind and hope you'll pass it on - I saw a lot of posts from guys who'd been back and forth to mechanics without resolving the issue and/or been told to "just drive it around a while." As an FYI - when I was looking for answers I found this kind of thing for other vehicles - not just Kias - where there'd been work done recently before inspection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts