Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my car now for a little over 2 weeks now, my commute isn't that long (22 miles round trip & all highway) and I constantly find myself making sure I'm in ECO mode so I can take advantage of every drop of fuel - even though gas is now coming down in my area.

This is not "normal" for me as all of my previous cars have been V-8's and usually not giving a hoot about gas, I could just be amazed at how good this cars fuel economy is but I think there is something bigger here.

The other night on the way home from work, I did turn the feature off and blast up to 110 MPH.;) The forces of evil will not go quietly.

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
Have you done a tank-to-tank comparison of gas mileage with and without ECO? Many would like to see such a comparison from your situation with nearly all highway miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I hate how the car responds with eco on. It seems to shift all over the place. Every time I want to speed up a little, it has to drop down a gear and rev too much. With eco off, I know exactly how the car will do with acceleration. I'm easy on the accelerator to begin with, so I don't get much of a savings with having eco on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not done a tank to tank comp yet, I will have to do one & see what the results are.
motoracer: I do notice it shifting some but only once i'm get off the exit.

I should have done the mileage but I went from North Phoenix to Huntington Beach, ca on one tank (including being stuck in wonderful CA traffic) and did about another 50 miles before filling up. Once filled up did some more driving around Newport/Laguna area then headed back to Phoenix & drove one day too & from work (22 miles round trip) before little gas pump showed on dash (readout said 35 miles to go but didn't chance it).
Sorry I didn't record the actual miles from Phx to Cali but about 90% was done in ECO mode and I am very impressed!

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
I hate how the car responds with eco on. It seems to shift all over the place. Every time I want to speed up a little, it has to drop down a gear and rev too much. With eco off, I know exactly how the car will do with acceleration. ..........
Agreed, I can't stand how it feels in ECO and refuse to use it in town, road trip is another matter and have used it and will occasionally.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tomorrow will be a week since filling up and just using the car going to & from work in ECO mode, so I will report then. So far I'm about 115 miles and at 3/4 tank of gas.
(had to spool it up last night on the way home from work to break away from a pack of idiots left over from the lunar Eclipse).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok - Here's an update - it may not be much but here goes:
148.7 miles since filled up last Tuesday, all highway miles on the way to work but 3 (going to the local Walmart), gas gauge reading two bars above 1/2. Entirely done in ECO mode, average speed 65-75 MPH (did have that one blast to 110 but right back down to 70 MPH). I'd feel a little happier if I was still at 3/4 full but it dropped going around the traffic circle at my exit, oh well.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Have 1692 miles on our SX Touring. ECO has always been on.

101mi. on the odometer when we bought it with a full tank so 1591mi. is ours alone.

Have used a total of 52.867 gals. and taken one road trip with about 200 miles of strictly highway.

That works out to 30 mpg overall with the car being my wife's daily driver (40mi./day). Very happy indeed!

The trip computer is pretty much useless for anything seriously important except range to empty and servicing intervals. The rest is pure entertainment.:D The silly resetting of Avg. mpg after fill-up is a disconcerting joke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm the same way. Before I had a truck and I had no problem burning gas. Now that I have the ECO button and MPG meter I do my best to accelerate slowly, coast as often as possible, and get the MPG as high as possible.

I recommended Fuelly.com for long term fuel mileage tracking.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2011 Optima LX
27 Posts
i noticed for the avg mpg on the car, the number takes into account all the gas you used up. So one day, i noticed as I was idling outside my friends house, the avg mpg number was dropping(I filled up right before I went to his house). So its not really miles per gallon, because this number takes in all the gas thats being used up, whether it be the 1-2min you take to warm up your car or driving. I think this is maybe the reason why the people may be getting lower mpg than what is advertised.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,065 Posts
What so you think mpg means?????

·
Registered
2011 Optima, 2012 Sportage
28 Posts
Obviously if you're not moving, the MILES per gallon will be less, since you're burning gas but not covering any mileage..........

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Latest update:
I'm at 421 miles, two bars above "E" on the fuel gauge. Computer says I have about 60 miles left.
I did need to take un unexpected trip of 100 miles of Friday so of course I hit a little holiday traffic but not too bad as I was able to ride the HOV lane to & from and was "mostly" highway still in ECO.
The car will probably sit the next two days as i'm off from work but I should eek out not filling up until Thursday, that will put me at another 34-46 miles.
Let's see how "bold" I get once that last bar on the gauge is left!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Latest update:
I'm at 421 miles, two bars above "E" on the fuel gauge. Computer says I have about 60 miles left.
I did need to take un unexpected trip of 100 miles of Friday so of course I hit a little holiday traffic but not too bad as I was able to ride the HOV lane to & from and was "mostly" highway still in ECO.
The car will probably sit the next two days as i'm off from work but I should eek out not filling up until Thursday, that will put me at another 34-46 miles.
Let's see how "bold" I get once that last bar on the gauge is left!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK here's the latest:
This morning when I left for work, making a left turn in my neighborhood - gas gauge dropped down to ONE bar & the gas pump came on, drove to work (12 miles) then to get gas (another 4 miles).
Info said I had about another 36 miles to go, sorry but wasn't feelin' too bold.
Filled up at 446 miles and the fill up took 16.663 gallons so I was down to a little under 1.5 gallons left. This was entirely done in ECO mode & the car has about 1600 miles on it.
This fill up will be done with ECO OFF so we'll se how it does.
Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2011 LX+
9 Posts
On the weekend I went from Chatham to Toronto and back. Most of the miles were highway and I got 6.2 l/100km according to the computer. I filled up when I got home and the computer was off. I really got 6.8 l/100km.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I find myself testing out the ECO feature every once in a while. I hate it for my daily commute, also 22 miles round trip, but with several stop lights, and a few stop and go patches. But mostly long winding runs. I usually average about 24-26 mpgs a tank with ECO off. Good enough for me when the car is rated at 22mpg city.

I do find myself using ECO on long highway trips, even thought its meant for stop and go driving. With ECO on running about 70-75 on the highway, ive gotten my computer to say 38.1mpgs. after filling it came out to be about 36.3 manually calculated. Still thats 2.3 miles per gallon more than the car is rated for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have not filled up since my last post, for me that's good! I've been driving with ECO off doing a lot more around town driving more than usual, i'm at 289 miles with one bar above 1/4 tank left. Have NOT done any high speed blasts above 85 MPH. I should be good for another 100-115 miles i'd say, although tonight is Friday night so who knows what i'll encounter on my way home from work!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts