Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a PNY 16 gig flash drive, and everytime I get Reader Error, after it takes 5 minutes to read it. I took the songs off Windows Media Player, do I need to convert them to mp3?

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
Only Mp3s
Only Fat32 or Exfat file structure
Only non partitioned drives/discs
No flash drive with built in security encryption software
At least Class 6 read speeds (10 is best for drive larger than 8gb)

Good luck

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, they are restrictive, aren't they? I will convert to mp3 and see what happens...it says Reading USB for 2-3 minutes, then gives me an error....

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
all these details are in your owners manual. Is it a UVO system?

·
Registered
46 Posts
it's still annoying, sometimes radio will read and sometimes it won't. also, while in another source, radio will switch to usb for no apparent reasons, maybe because it senses the usb is "online" - i ended up unplugging the thumb drive out completely

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
it's still annoying, sometimes radio will read and sometimes it won't. also, while in another source, radio will switch to usb for no apparent reasons, maybe because it senses the usb is "online" - i ended up unplugging the thumb drive out completely
I agree that this is annoying. It seems that any jiggling of the USB in the connector can cause this. I'm not sure if it's a poor choice of hardware or just some extremely broken aspect of embedded Windows. I've got some time tomorrow so I'm going to attempt to bend the pins to hold the USB device a bit more forcefully. If that doesn't work, I'll probably sort out a way to permanently connect a 128GB SSD with a USB adapter that's soldered to the pins or perhaps by wiring in a USB hub into the console and have the hub permanently attached to the exposed UVO USB port. We'll see how it goes.

I wish Hyundai/Kia had blown off Windows and just used Android. They've roped us in to a dead end.

Best,

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't had any problems with reading or cut off, I agree that would be truly annoying. Good luck, I hope you find out why it's doing that...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree that this is annoying. It seems that any jiggling of the USB in the connector can cause this. I'm not sure if it's a poor choice of hardware or just some extremely broken aspect of embedded Windows. I've got some time tomorrow so I'm going to attempt to bend the pins to hold the USB device a bit more forcefully. If that doesn't work, I'll probably sort out a way to permanently connect a 128GB SSD with a USB adapter that's soldered to the pins or perhaps by wiring in a USB hub into the console and have the hub permanently attached to the exposed UVO USB port. We'll see how it goes.

I wish Hyundai/Kia had blown off Windows and just used Android. They've roped us in to a dead end.

Best,
i'm using a 16GB stub and it's snugged on there, no chance of it wiggling loose so don't think it's a contact issue. maybe the drive is too large and too slow for the head unit to handle.

i'm also having this problem with my 160GB ipod classic, the unit keeps cutting off and switching sources when using the head unit controlled cable - i had to use the aux/usb combo cable to sustain a solid connection, which is only controllable via the ipod.

KIA, give us at least an 8GB internal storage and we'll be happy, it's 2013! the 700MB is NOT much!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
i'm using a 16GB stub and it's snugged on there, no chance of it wiggling loose so don't think it's a contact issue. maybe the drive is too large and too slow for the head unit to handle.

i'm also having this problem with my 160GB ipod classic, the unit keeps cutting off and switching sources when using the head unit controlled cable - i had to use the aux/usb combo cable to sustain a solid connection, which is only controllable via the ipod.

KIA, give us at least an 8GB internal storage and we'll be happy, it's 2013! the 700MB is NOT much!
It's definitely a connectivity issue. My wee little 32GB Sandisk is tiny and I can replicate the problem by tapping near the drive with my fingers to simulate a bump. It happens with every USB fob I've tried, but the smallest (in terms of physical size) seem to fare the best since they don't have as much mass to react to the bouncing. I agree that it's pretty lame not to include more storage in these units. It's dirt cheap.

Alternatively, I can just dump all the storage in my phone and stream music to the head unit via bluetooth. No dropouts.

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento
1 Posts
I have had the issue with switching sources from USB to Sirius or to radio. I have used Sandisk 32GB and 16GB (thinking the 32GB was too big), both were tiny drives with little chance of them getting knocked about. I have tried different flash drives and different formatting (exFAT, FAT32, FAT) and even reduced the number of files on the drives as the local Kia dealer told me the internal unit has limited memory.
But I don't think loose connector is my issue as the switch has happened when the car is in park and just sitting there. I seem to have more trouble when the unit is hot, especially after the Sorento has been sitting in the sun all day. Then I get the switches to other sources and/or the reset and rereading of the USB drive and it going back to the first song on the drive. It happened a lot on a long drive in the winter when the heater was on so heat may still be an issue.
Or I could just have a bad unit.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I have had the issue with switching sources from USB to Sirius or to radio. I have used Sandisk 32GB and 16GB (thinking the 32GB was too big), both were tiny drives with little chance of them getting knocked about. I have tried different flash drives and different formatting (exFAT, FAT32, FAT) and even reduced the number of files on the drives as the local Kia dealer told me the internal unit has limited memory.
But I don't think loose connector is my issue as the switch has happened when the car is in park and just sitting there. I seem to have more trouble when the unit is hot, especially after the Sorento has been sitting in the sun all day. Then I get the switches to other sources and/or the reset and rereading of the USB drive and it going back to the first song on the drive. It happened a lot on a long drive in the winter when the heater was on so heat may still be an issue.
Or I could just have a bad unit.
I agree (now) that the issue seems to happen even without jarring the USB device.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
If the read or access speed is less than class4 or if the thumb drive is cheap the system might fail safe and dump the user to the next mode ie. Radio.

Exessive heat can mess things up but I doubt it. The only other thing to check is if the firmware of the headunit is stale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts