Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just purchased a used 2008 Sportage 2.0L Automatic FWD (my first major purchase after finishing college + starting work). I'll be taking the car next week, probably Mon. This will be the first car I'm buying for myself. The reason I decided on the Sportage was "price, price, price" and the streets around where I work does have minor flooding whenever it rains heavy. My dad got me a very good deal from the dealership he has been doing business with for >20 years. I have driven my dad's 2008 Optima and like it a lot.

I have several questions that I hope members can help me:
1. The car sits pretty high. The gap between the wheels and the fender is a lot. Can I lower the car? I have checked online and the only lowering springs for my car is from H&R.
2. How about changing the wheels to 17"? Will it improve the roading and the ride?
3. I also plan to install Powerstop brakes, the company has a brake kit at a very good price. Anyone used the powerstop brakes before? Are they ok?

Btw, the car has 45K miles and is still under warranty until 03/2013. If I do the above changes, will I lose the warranty?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
New Sportage owner
:confused:

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
Hi,

I have just purchased a used 2008 Sportage 2.0L Automatic FWD (my first major purchase after finishing college + starting work). I'll be taking the car next week, probably Mon. This will be the first car I'm buying for myself. The reason I decided on the Sportage was "price, price, price" and the streets around where I work does have minor flooding whenever it rains heavy. My dad got me a very good deal from the dealership he has been doing business with for >20 years. I have driven my dad's 2008 Optima and like it a lot.

I have several questions that I hope members can help me:
1. The car sits pretty high. The gap between the wheels and the fender is a lot. Can I lower the car? I have checked online and the only lowering springs for my car is from H&R.
2. How about changing the wheels to 17"? Will it improve the roading and the ride?
3. I also plan to install Powerstop brakes, the company has a brake kit at a very good price. Anyone used the powerstop brakes before? Are they ok?

Btw, the car has 45K miles and is still under warranty until 03/2013. If I do the above changes, will I lose the warranty?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
New Sportage owner
:confused:
1. I thought ebach SP? made a set also. But the HR would be fine.
2. Always when you get a bigger wheel, you will be getting a bit less rubber, so, road ride will change and you will feel the bumps more.
3. Where is the link to this kit, I have never seen one for 2nd gen sportys.

45K miles, I want to let you know that at 60K miles the timing belt is due to be changed. No way around it, if it breaks, skips, your motor is TOAST. The cost of the change unless you do it yourself, depending on dealer/shop, ranges from 500-700 dollars. Be aware of this before you purchase it. It is not covered under warranty even if it breaks before 60K miles.
Will you lose warranty with the above, just the brakes portion for the change or brakes, but there is no big brake kits for these cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

As for the Powerstop kit, Rock Auto has it. Part #K4448.

Will talk to the dealer on Monday when I go get my car about the timing belt thingy.

Tks again.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
NP. The sales might not get right into but this motor is interference, meaning, if that belt breaks, there is internal damage done. Check out the website here a little and you will see..
I would say this is the weak part of the car, otherwise I do love my sportage. I also have an 08 lx 4cyl.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my "new" used Kia and have been driving around in it for the past week. So far so good, everything works. I was driving over minor flood spots that I usually avoid previously with no problems! I had to get 2 new tires for the rear, front tires were OK. That's the only extra money I have to shell out. The ride is different from my dad's Optima. The car sits a lot higher than a regular car. I am thinking of making 2 changes to the car ( I have some money promised to me my godma :):
1. Lowering it. The only lowering springs I can find is by H&R. There's very little info about lowering the car online. Hope some members who had done the lowering give me some advice on how to go about it. Do I need new shocks? I only have 45K miles on the car. If I have to get new shocks, any recommendations? I only can find Monero, KYB and Gabriel shocks for the car.

2. Changing the wheels to 17" and 235/55 R17 tires (as per tirerack recommendation). Will that make the SUV ride more "carlike"?

I also talked to the manager of the dealership about the timing belt and he promised me a 25% discount on the cost of workmanship when I need it done and I've an email from him stating that. As I said before, my dad has purchased 2 cars from the dealer before and they are OK in the service dept.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
the 55 series tires you will feel more road, meaning a bit more harsh. Its less tire. You will feel more. I dont like low profile tires due to this. Feel every little pebble you hit.

There are not many that have lowered these a very few, might not get a response from one with a sportage. If I had the cash I probably would do it.
Shocks, if they are still fine you dont need to replace them if lowering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts