Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all :)

I'm a happy new owner for a 2011 Sportage EX (First KIA in my live). And to tell you the truth, i'm IMPRESSED!!!

Nice car overall!

Since day one, I've notices the driver side mirror is flat and i hardly can see any cars (specially the blind spot). The previous owner of my car had used the small blind spot mirrors. Sure it help, but it confuse me sometimes.

Anyway, I've bought the OEM Korean version of the convex mirrors from Automotive Apple (both sides) for $35.09 shipped (comes with heated function as well). The mirror comes with Korean letters instead of english.

According to Automotive Apple, the Manufacturer Part Number is:
87611. 876213W000.

The results:
The driver side is like day and night to me. It's MUCH better and I can say there is almost no blind spot in the mirror. There is no noticeable difference in the passenger side mirror between the new and old mirror (not worth it but

They sell them in one package (Left + Right), for the next time, I will ask if I can order just the driver side and save some money. It took about 1 month to arrive. But it was worth the wait!!

Here is the driver mirror BEFORE (notice the car in the blind spot area):

Here is the NEW Mirror (notice the tree, building in both mirrors):

Hope that help and have a safe driving :)

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
It probably says Made in China :) I found the mirrors to be fine the way they are,the trick is to have them positioned correctly. Not too close to the car,so you can't see back of your car,unless you lean towards the door a little. No blind spots then.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
It says: Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

Standard fare on Aussie Sportages.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
looking good. love the extra view angle.

were you able to get the defrost function hooked up? i would love to have mirror defrost.

Seems to me like the kind of mirrors i have on my motorcycle. They are convex (dome-shaped). What i have found with that, is that convex mirrors tend to allow you to see better in situations where there is a lot of vibration. The flat mirrors would shake out and you couldn't see anything in them if you rev'd or started down a rough road.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
also a lot of people do not adjust there side mirrors correctly, check this video out to see what I mean
Motoring TV : Jim Kenzie proves, there is no such thing as a blind spot?

I have been driving for over 50 years and can still learn something, when I followed this video, it solved the problem, it did take a bit of getting used too, but it works!
I agree most of the drivers adjust their side mirrors wrong so it sees whats directly behind the car and whats on the side of the car, thats what the rearview mirror is for hence the name.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Interesting. Looks good.

I honestly can't say I have issues seeing things, no blind spots. Most people don't adjust their mirrors correctly. Google it. Most people can see part of their cars in the mirrors, which is apparently wrong.

Anyways, pretty cool though, looks OEM.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
EZname, I just got these in the mail and was wondering how you removed the old mirror? I just don't want to start pulling and break anything.
Thanks.

As for those saying to properly align the mirror, I have on my other car but I think there are 2 things making it harder on the sportage.
First, I find there is a lot of distortion in my mirror, to the point where it may even be slightly concave. It's certainly not nice, flat and clear like my other car.
Second, visibility in the sportage is pretty bad in every direction, especially out the back. With the very narrow and high rear window, you have to use your side mirrors more than you should have to.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
Second, visibility in the sportage is pretty bad in every direction, especially out the back. With the very narrow and high rear window, you have to use your side mirrors more than you should have to.
Don't think its any worse than my Soul, but when I adjusted the mirrors as per the video I mentioned, problem solved and with my backup camera I can also see below the back window. :D

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Don't think its any worse than my Soul, but when I adjusted the mirrors as per the video I mentioned, problem solved and with my backup camera I can also see below the back window. :D
Have you driven a Sportage? The side mirror is also relatively small given how far it is from the driver (at least with how far I sit back). On my other car, the mirror gives a bigger field of view since it's closer to the driver. It's also slightly larger and more effective as it's more rectangular. It also has a perfectly flat and clear mirror.

I've been looking at getting a rear view camera, but I'm using a fresnel lens like this for now. It actually works okay, but it's not great and partially blocks the rear window. I may trim it to only show the lower area and sides, as the upper view is not needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts