Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**updates in italics and new items listed at bottom.**
as a new member, i thought i would post up my general impressions of my new SX V6 AWD. fyi, i am coming from a 2009 Subaru Forester XT limited.

i really am enjoying my SX. it drives very differently from the forester. the forester suspension was loose, i dealt with turbo lag, there were little or no luxury appointments, the stereo was imo the worst in the business, the AC would sometimes shut off for a couple seconds and blow warm air for no reason - this is the norm and there is no fix, it was a 4 gear automatic - terrible gas mileage, and the seats are too soft and don't grab the rider.

what i like about the SX
- fit and finish. kia has come a long way. i think the car is very sharp looking, has great lines, and everything is in the right proportion. the interior is ergonomic and luxurious. i love the seat leather and the black wood is nice.
- amazing ride, very tight suspension, almost like a sports car. i guess this can be somewhat undesirable for some people when buying an SUV, but i love it. it corners on a dime, very much unlike the forester.
- wonderful V6 power - power on-demand.
- lots of cool luxury appointments - i love the ventilated seat, rear camera, side mirrors move down when in reverse, etc.
- no-hands starting of car/locking and unlocking car. it's kinda cool to be able to keep my keys and phone in my pockets and have full access to the car, and be able to make/receive calls. i had an aftermarket stereo in my forester with all the bells and whistles, but bluetooth did not work nearly as well as it does in the sorento.

what i dislike about the SX (some of these issues are my fault)
- my car seat moves when i come to a stop sometimes. the seat feels loose at the base. occasionally when i come to a stop, it moves slightly and i hear a clunk noise. i hope this can be fixed. fixed by dealer - replaced seat bottom.
- the side steps on my car make it tough to get in and out of the car. when you get out, the back of your leg rubs by the sidestep. in the winter, you'll be cleaning your pants regularly. this one is my fault because i bought a car sight unseen and didn't test drive a sorento with the sidesteps. i am in the process of getting this addressed. the dealer is gonna do a free swap for normal kick panels. the swap never happened. i have learned to live with them. i saw a black SX without them and realized that the side steps break up the tall side.
- there are 2 air vents pointed at the driver. the one on the left is fairly weak and the one on the right cannot be pushed to the left far enough. fyi, all the vents that can be closed are closed and the rear AC is off. i like to have air blow right on my head in the summer, and it's been tough getting the air vents set right. slowly forgot about this.
- a couple times, when i put the car in reverse, the side mirrors did not adjust downward. i plan to ask the dealer about that the next time i am down there. i hope this isn't electrical gremlins. found out that i had the mirror selector switch in the middle. when you do this, the mirrors don't go down.
- for a "high-end" Infinity 10 speaker stereo with a sub, the bass is pretty weak. i see myself adding a sub fairly soon. i fixed this by setting all my songs on my ipod to "bass boost" EQ. the bassy songs sound like carp now though. i need to select certain songs for bass boost, and turn off EQ (or select Flat) for others.
- as i have read on here, i agree that the ipod interface is weak. i have to push random every time i start the car, no album/band info without having to push a button, no album art... kia really needs to step this up and it has to be a fairly simple fix to push out to people. sort of got used to pushing the random button every time. i still think the interface as a whole is pretty terrible.

31 OCT 2012 new items: the plastic dash piece above the glove box looks like someone tried to force a license plate through it from the back. there is a rectangular frame-like impression in the dash. i called this to the attention of my dealer and he showed me that another sorrento in the showroom has the exact same thing. i was blown away.

after a few months of ownership, i am still happy with the car overall. if they could update the ipod interface a bit, it would be great.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
black wood? mine came with carbon fiber, which i prefer over the wood trims

I agree with everything else positive about the SUV, it's fun to drive the 2013 SX

the only weak point is 2nd gear, as i commented on another topic http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/79644-2011-kia-v6-towing.html#post431353

I came from a sports car background, and the SX feels like almost home, it could use some tuning :p but being realistic, these turnings are fine as they were indented for a SUV + towing, not for performance racing :)

regarding the lose sit, i don't have that problem on mine
these are Electronic Motorized seats, it shouldn't move at all, unless you change the sitting position, it must be something else causing that noise

the 3rd row sit air vents only activates when you turn on the rear AC

the side mirrors only comes down when backing, if the mirror aliment switch needs to be set to either left or right, if it's in the middle, it will not work

I was thinking about changing the Sub at first too, also the "Random" for the MP3 media read, regardless if it's CD, USB, ipod/phone, etc is way to weak, it doesn't work, it keep repeating the same "random" songs over and over again, not much of a random, when it keeps playing the same songs

so i'm stuck streaming bluettooth from my phone, but that drains battery off my phone even if it's charging while driving

so planning to replace the entire head unit with another after market one, along with the sub, this one is costly, so it'll have to wait until i finish financing this 2013 SX

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
black wood? mine came with carbon fiber, which i prefer over the wood trims

I agree with everything else positive about the SUV, it's fun to drive the 2013 SX

the only weak point is 2nd gear, as i commented on another topic http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/79644-2011-kia-v6-towing.html#post431353

I came from a sports car background, and the SX feels like almost home, it could use some tuning :p but being realistic, these turnings are fine as they were indented for a SUV + towing, not for performance racing :)

regarding the lose sit, i don't have that problem on mine
these are Electronic Motorized seats, it shouldn't move at all, unless you change the sitting position, it must be something else causing that noise
mine has black wood above the glovebox, on the top of the steering wheel and on the top of the door cards. i never liked wood in a car. i think it looks cheap and fake, but i think the black wood looks sharp. i'll have to check out your 2nd gear thread. thanks for posting up.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
I agree that faux wood trim normally looks pretty bad, however..... I have had a number of people comment on the "black wood" in my EX and folks seem to like it alot. I'm on the fence.

Best,

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
My seat moves too, not all the time but usually when driving it sporty (lead foot and braking hard). No sound, unless it's being masked by the radio, I just feel it shift. I think the sub is pretty good considering it's size, just as good as the 10" in my old Mercedes with the Harman Kardon system.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
676 Posts
My seat moves slightly too. There was another problem with the driver's seat bottom and so it's being swapped. Hopefully that will also fix the small movement. I've mentioned it to the dealer. Part just came in and will be swapped at next oil change.

I'll let you know what they find.

The other issue was an oil leak from the cylinder that moves the seat backwards and forwards. I hope I get a chance to see the problem/inside of the seat bottom. Curious to see the seat cooling stuff too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a new 2013 and the drivers seat is horrible. I have the cooled seat and its thin on foam and there is a metal bar in the middle that presses into the back of my legs. Kia will not do anything about it. my service manager also said its not acceptable and he checked with his rep and he also did not like it. I was told adding foam will void my warranty. the seat heat could set it on fire. After having 7 Kia's this will be my last.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
didn't realize the seat shift issue would exist with more people than just me. i hope there is a fix for it. the car that i test drove did not exhibit this issue. it's a shame it was in a color i didn't like, otherwise, i would have snagged that one.

VIM, please do let me know what they say about the seat shift when they swap your part.

mdglaman, sorry to hear you are having major comfort issues with your seat. i do not feel the metal bar you are writing about. and i am coming from a car with seats are way too cushiony, so the stiffness is welcome to me. if you feel the bar closer to your knees than your butt, maybe try tilting the chair a bit towards the pedals. it may take some pressure off that area of the back of your leg. frankly though, this sounds like a defective seat to me. i would sit in a couple different sorentos at your dealer and prove that out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the bar is right in front of my but. the service manager sat in a couple and felt the same thing. so did his regional rep.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
here is some good news, and hopefully, some info that will set precedent for other people to get the seat-moving issue fixed. the dealer that i took my car to has stated that the seat shift issue is apparent to them and they have ordered a new seat bottom to fix the problem. the part is coming from CA, so i'll have to wait till next week to get it fixed, but i am very happy with the way the dealer treated me. i assumed this was going to be one of those "we can't replicate it" or "they all do that" problems.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Which felt more powerful / better at accelerating when flooring it from the getgo? The heavier/more powerful V6 in the Sorento, or the smaller/lighter Turbo int he Forester.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which felt more powerful / better at accelerating when flooring it from the getgo? The heavier/more powerful V6 in the Sorento, or the smaller/lighter Turbo int he Forester.
turbo lag in the forester was pretty bad. i am going to give the edge to the sorento, off the line only. once the turbo kicks in on the forester, i can't see the hulking sorento keeping up though. just a feeling, not sure what the numbers would really look like. i never got the trap speed for my forester.

·
Registered
194 Posts
turbo lag in the forester was pretty bad. i am going to give the edge to the sorento, off the line only. once the turbo kicks in on the forester, i can't see the hulking sorento keeping up though. just a feeling, not sure what the numbers would really look like. i never got the trap speed for my forester.
Good to know, thanks. I test drove some Forester's before I got the current car. Only drove the NA motor though and thought it was an absolute dog. Wanted to try an XT but they didn't have any to try and I was still disappointed with an ancient 4 speed. I would like to drive a Sorento with the V6 and the new Santa Fe with the turbo 4 side by side. I really think the turbo'd 4 will result in better real world performance than the 6.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
676 Posts
Well, was in for my 24,000km service. Oil change and the seat bottom was changed.

Had a look at the seat bottom. Can't really tell much about the seat movement. Dealer said, and I agree, that we'll have to see if the seat movement reoccurs.

Saw how the seat cooling works. Took a couple of pictures. Found some KIA info in a PDF about it too...attached to this thread. PDF has many other useful bits of info in one place. I'll post the pictures when I have a chance...I'll add them to this post.

Starts at page 52 in the PDF. There is a small fan attached to the bottom of the seat. Multi-speed fan to go along with the multiple settings on the button. Cabin air is taken by the fan to supply air to the seat cushion and back lower part through an air ventilation layer in the seat material.

Not clear if there are 2 fans, one in the seat bottom and another in the seat back or just one that works on both. If anyone knows, please share.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, was in for my 24,000km service. Oil change and the seat bottom was changed.

Had a look at the seat bottom. Can't really tell much about the seat movement. Dealer said, and I agree, that we'll have to see if the seat movement reoccurs.

Saw how the seat cooling works. Took a couple of pictures. Found some KIA info in a PDF about it too...attached to this thread. PDF has many other useful bits of info in one place. I'll post the pictures when I have a chance...I'll add them to this post.

Starts at page 52 in the PDF. There is a small fan attached to the bottom of the seat. Multi-speed fan to go along with the multiple settings on the button. Cabin air is taken by the fan to supply air to the seat cushion and back lower part through an air ventilation layer in the seat material.

Not clear if there are 2 fans, one in the seat bottom and another in the seat back or just one that works on both. If anyone knows, please share.
thanks for the info, VIM. i am having my seat bottom replaced as i type this and will be picking up my car later. so, more to come on how well they fixed the problem.

i can't say with certainty that there is only one fan, but i raised my seat up as far as it would go and got a pretty good look under the seat. i only saw the one black fan. it appeared that as the fan draws the air in, it pushes the air through a flat/flexible duct that goes in under the seat leather and i assume, continues to the back of the seat.

having gotten over 100 degrees here recently, having the seat fan and what i would call the coldest AC of any car i have owned, has been a blessing. cranking the cold air down at your feet pushes the cold air towards the butt fan, which in turn forces some seriously cold air to your behind. :D

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just got home from the dealer. all is well with the seat-moving issue that i was having. they replaced the seat bottom and it no longer moves.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
676 Posts
Same here. Seat bottom was changed and no more seat moving.

I took some pictures while dealer was working on it. I'll try to upload as soon as I can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts