Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm a new member - names Steve - and I live in Scarborough in North Yorkshire in the UK.

I have a Kia Sedona 2.9TDi which I bought 2nd hand last summer, it was first registered September 2001.

Very pleased with it so far though I have been having a problem with the gear box recently. Once the engine is warmed up it is very difficult to change gear - has anyone had similar problems.

Steve
:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Steve.

I've experienced difficult shifts on my Kia. It was simply due to an additional floormat that slid between the clutch pedal and the floor...
You should check if the clutch fully disengages when fully depressing the pedal. You can be sure of that if there is some travel left once the clutch disengages.
It may not be your case, but sometime, if the clutch is misused (by constantly applying pressure to the pedal) or if the assembly is failing, the diaphragm can overheat leading to a limited action.
Hope it helps.
Laurent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes - this has been our biggest problem - was apparent on first drive of the car. Dealer said was an issue with all when new - the clutch cable needed to be loosened and would do so with use. We just couldn't get first gear on 85% of occasions - very unpleasant/worrying with car load of littlies, trying to do hillstarts, let me tell you. (Have been driving manual cars since 1979, so knew it wasn't us). Took it back to dealer on numerous occasions over next six months - same answer. At 6 mth mark we'd become impatient of waiting for it to "wear in" (we live in a mountainous area!) - they finally fixed it - took them no time!
That's not the end of it - now, just two months out of warrant, the clutch has gone, with less than 50,000kms. I have never gone through a clutch in under 100,000. Can't possibly believe the problem has nothing to do with the fault in the car at the beginning. Kia refuse to pay for the new clutch. Looking at all this stuff on the forum, don't like my chances, in Aust at least. Also beware - they kept no record of our series of complaints and our notes don't count.

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Found with ours that you have to make sure the pedal is on the floor as the biteing point is immediate as soon as you start to allow the pedal up. Once you get used to it, I don't see it as a problem. Very easy to ride the clutch though in traffic if you are not careful.

Simon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Carnival 6 months ago. I had about 6 times the same problem, every 2000 km approx, the gear box (manual) blocks as I am running. It happens in a highway at 120 km/h. I go down from 5 to 4 for example, then it stays on neutral. Impossible to change gear. I have to slowly go to the right trying not to be hurt, then stop the engine. Sometimes it starts fine (no problem with gear), sometimes I am unable to pass the gear. Then I call for a tow, and I go back with my wife and 3 kids in a rental car.

KIA tried to change the clutch, the gear box, but it happened again. I asked the Kia national service to change the car as I am affaird to die, simply die, but they say that´s a problem of the seller. The seller only wants to repair, not change, but after any repair the problem starts again.

Meanwhile my family is always entring in that car. Today the car is at 400 km, in France, in a Kia service, they are trying to change another piece.

Can somebody help me?
Do I have to ride the car again?
Is it a knowned problem in the carnival?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Clutch cable ? On my Sedona (2004 2.9 CRDi) the clutch is hydraulic - shares its fluid with the brakes - I think they are all like that. I had a problem with the clutch, if you held your foot on the pedal the clutch would slowly re-engage making it difficult to change gear, also the pedal would not return to its normal position. This turned out to be a hydraulic leak - dealer sorted same day. Check your fluid levels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts