Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The automatic gear lever on my 2009 Sedona doesn't seem to be going back far enough to put it into gear. Sometimes when you're driving along it pops into neutral. Sometimes when it's in park, the engine won't start until you push it right up into park or pull it into neutral. This car has just turned three years old and has only done 27,000 miles. Sometimes it sits for a month at a time, does anyone know what the problem is?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
It does not sound like anything wrong with the transmission itself, so I wouldn't worry about that. It just sounds like the shift cable between the transmission and gear selector may be loose or improperly adjusted. Unless you feel comfortable taking part of the dashboard apart, it may be an issue to raise with your dealer. Otherwise with 10mm and 12mm sockets, an interior trim removal kit, phillips screwdriver, and ~2-4 hours of spare time - I would gladly list the steps required to perform the procedure. However, based on the year and mileage of the van (assuming you are in the USA, you do not list your location in your profile), it will be under warranty - even if you are not the original owner.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX
61 Posts
Perhaps a problem with the shift lock not disengaging all the way? Just for something quick to try...... Take a small screw sticker and pry up the little oval cover right next to the shifter. Under this is the shift lock override. You can stick a very small flat head screwdriver in here and override the shift lock temporarily. If the shifter then shifts into gear without an issue than it could be the shift lock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Shift lock would prevent the shift release button from depressing. Is your issue with the shift release button? If so then yes, it could be shift lock. The shift lock solenoid wouldn't affect the forward and backward movement of the shift lever itself, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for you replies, I just put it into the garage and told the mechanic what you all said. You were wondering where I came from, I'm from Scotland, and the car has just went out of warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts