Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Pro_Cee'd 1.6 Dynamic (2013)
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ..

Well here's the thing .. I've noticed that more often I have problems while shifting gears .. for instance .. from standing still sometimes, not always, it's kind of hard to slide in 1st gear .. but ok, depress clutch .. press it again and everything is ok .. then from 1st to second like hot knife trough butter.. everything superb .. 2nd into 3rd .. by the very end you can feel sometimes something like gears not coming in together right and that grinding feel for a fraction of a second even when the pedal is pressed all the way to the floor .. 3rd to 4th is ok and 4th to 5th also ok but it's waaay on the other side ;o)

Now when you start to down-shift everything is ok until you want to get from 2nd into 1st .. It's almost impossible every time .. just like hitting something hard, and to avoid that I have to put it in neutral then into first and even then the problem sometimes is still there.

Does any1 have any similar problems or do you have any idea how to solve this? Car is brand new, Pro Ceed 1.4 petrol and I've done about 2.1k km with it.

thanx guys in advance ..

·
Registered
Kia ProCeed 1.4 & Opel Kadett 1.6i
11 Posts
I have similar problem with 1st gear and reverse... Not so smooth as i used to...

Some of my friends sugested that i go to official kia service and let them check the oil in transmition... I didnt go yet, but in few months is my regular service check, so i will ask them about this problem and let them fix it :D

·
Registered
Kia ProCeed 1.4 & Opel Kadett 1.6i
11 Posts
My problem is from neutral to 1st and neutral to reverse...

Not all the time, but sometimes and its really annoying....

·
Registered
657 Posts
My problem is from neutral to 1st and neutral to reverse...

Not all the time, but sometimes and its really annoying....
If you ever drove some old Hyundai from 90s (for example Pony), this would not be exactly news to you... in most Hyundai reviews in the past 20 years you will find the same story - problematic transmission. Luckily, the symptoms today are benign.

For some reason Hyundai does not know how to make a really good and smooth-feeling transmission...

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW 1.6 CRDi
488 Posts
shifting to reverse is not so smooth, especially when cold...it even jumps out of gear sometimes...just another Kia feature we have to live with ;)

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd CRDI (90hp)
53 Posts
I have similar problems too. As you've said it's almost impossible to downshift from 2nd to 1st and when it's cold you have a hard time to change between 1st and reverse. However, my main problem is while accelerating; sometimes while changing from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th I myself need to put it into its place! There's nothing smooth, sometimes I need to repress the clutch.
Now I'm convinced that because of this terrible gearbox, Cee'd CRDI 90 hp reaches 100 km/h in 13.7 secs and same power (less torque!) Corolla D-4D reaches in 12 secs! or compare 115 hp Cee'd and 109 hp Focus.

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-ceed-forum/51703-how-come-d4d-corolla-faster-than.html

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have similar problems too. As you've said it's almost impossible to downshift from 2nd to 1st and when it's cold you have a hard time to change between 1st and reverse. However, my main problem is while accelerating; sometimes while changing from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th I myself need to put it into its place! There's nothing smooth, sometimes I need to repress the clutch.
Now I'm convinced that because of this terrible gearbox, Cee'd CRDI 90 hp reaches 100 km/h in 13.7 secs and same power (less torque!) Corolla D-4D reaches in 12 secs! or compare 115 hp Cee'd and 109 hp Focus.

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-ceed-forum/51703-how-come-d4d-corolla-faster-than.html
Hint for everybody: if you have problems while shifting, double clutch, both up and down, but when going up, there is no need to apply gas throttle.

In case that you do not what is this procedure, Google it up.

·
Registered
Cee'd 1,4 LX Fresh+
387 Posts
my gearbox behaves the same as above mentioned, but I don't see the problem. I use 1. gear only from standstill while putting it in reverse is simple and easy if you do it from standstill and slowly.

do not force the gear. for example: for reverse push the gear lever gently and when you feel the resistance keep the same force until it goes through, it takes only a second or so. Double clutching also helps.

I often see impatient (young) drivers shifting as in fast and furious movie, thinking this is "sporty". even if the gearbox feels it can take it, you are risking damage in long term (like VW Caddy we use for work - the gearbox is slowly getting slack and doesn't shift easely as it used to - and we are not at 100000km yet)

·
Registered
Ceed SW CRDi 2010
25 Posts
My CRDi 2010 115hp is brand new, only 2000 km so far so I will give it some time to wear in (and not out) but the gearbox could be better.
Especially the reverse needs some extra attention, lift the lock and give it some time before the confirming beep comes. And it needs to be firmly put up to the left, have failed and got a sqeeking sound a couple of times but one learns...
First gear does not go in easy if you are not standing still but that is not uncommon in my opinion.
The rest of the gears comes in perfectly and it is a joy to shift.:)

·
Registered
657 Posts
My CRDi 2010 115hp is brand new, only 2000 km so far so I will give it some time to wear in (and not out) but the gearbox could be better.
Especially the reverse needs some extra attention, lift the lock and give it some time before the confirming beep comes. And it needs to be firmly put up to the left, have failed and got a sqeeking sound a couple of times but one learns...
First gear does not go in easy if you are not standing still but that is not uncommon in my opinion.
The rest of the gears comes in perfectly and it is a joy to shift.:)
There is no "confirming beep" on my Proceed! :p;):(

·
Registered
657 Posts
Because you don't have rear parking sensors ;)
I almost got them, but would have to part with 300 EUR.
I saw that you can get all kinds of sensors for 30-40 US$ online so decided to keep my 300 EUR. :lol:

·
Registered
1.6 CRDI 66kW
107 Posts
does anyone have buzzing sound form gearbox while accelereating in 3rd and 4th?

they changed 3rd and 4th geer wheels at the service but the noise is still there:(

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
Just a suggestion for shifting to reverse:

Shift as usual, and when you feel the gearbox handle is stuck and not yet in reverse position, slowly start to depress the clutch, while maintaining pressure to gearbox handle. It will slip into reverse and you are good to go.

I also have issues when going from 2nd to 1st but I think it's getting better these days. Don't know if it's because I covered ~30K km already or because I drive slower these days (because of snow)...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just a suggestion for shifting to reverse:

Shift as usual, and when you feel the gearbox handle is stuck and not yet in reverse position, slowly start to depress the clutch, while maintaining pressure to gearbox handle. It will slip into reverse and you are good to go.

I also have issues when going from 2nd to 1st but I think it's getting better these days. Don't know if it's because I covered ~30K km already or because I drive slower these days (because of snow)...
Old trick I learned on my old Alfa 33 works good on KIA too.

If it show resistance while shifting in reverse, bring it back to neutral, shift to 4th gear, then back to neutral and try reverse gear.

It works great and smoothly. :)

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW 1.4 ISG
40 Posts
shifting to reverse is not so smooth, especially when cold...it even jumps out of gear sometimes...just another Kia feature we have to live with ;)
Reverse gear is not synchronized, as in most cars/brands.
Therefore you have to be careful shifting to reverse.
And reversed isn't used that much so it takes longer to wear in.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW 1.6 CRDi
488 Posts
yes, but last time i had so many "problems" with reverse I was driving Dacia 1300 :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reverse gear is not synchronized, as in most cars/brands.
Therefore you have to be careful shifting to reverse.
And reversed isn't used that much so it takes longer to wear in.
Reverse is not that much of a problem, it is problematic to shift to and from 2nd gear when it is not warmed up.

·
Registered
Kia Pro_Cee'd 1.4 LX Fresh+
55 Posts
^Word. Almost like "trying to shift a baseball bat stuck inside a barrel full of coconuts.” :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts