Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento PHEV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Kind of a had a bad experience recently with my 2022 Kia Sorento PHEV. My gf mostly drives it but we both have had a couple instances of where when moving the shifter from drive to reverse the shifter moves to R but the gears do not follow they stay in neutral. If you aren't paying attention you'll jerk the entire car once you get it into gear playing with the gear knob This escalated recently to where we had to have the car towed because it would not come out of D at all using the selector from the car turned off. Funny enough we had parked at the BMV (Indiana version of DMV) and went to get the license plate ordered. We did this right near closing thankfully. The only weird thing I had done was send a few lock commands to the car from where I was sitting inside so the lady could tell which car was mine to read the VIN. We left 20 minutes later and when I got to the car I unlocked it and got in. The car would not start and was flashing D in the drive and saying to shift to neutral. Nothing I did could get it out of drive. Car would not start or shut off. I figured maybe disconnecting/reconnecting battery would fix it but I didn't have the tools. We let them tow it after hours to the closest Kia which didn't work on it until morning. It couldn't be turned off so it drained the battery and sure enough it started working after they jumped it.

They are still looking at it but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or seen it? I saw some other car models with this kind of shifter have had something go wrong. They don't see any computer codes saying it is wrong so far.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento PHEV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it is stopped. We shift to R and then press on accelerator since it shows R on the selector and the engine just revs (it kept in neutral). It'll jerk if you play with the selector to go back to neutral then R again since that time it will switch. Obviously we need to let the RPMs subside before playing with it again but still it shouldn't fail to switch to reverse when it says it did. They opened a ticket with KIA apparently we'll see what they come up with.

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SX PHEV
26 Posts
I had an issue earlier this year with what I thought was the transmission, but it could have been the selector knob as well:

The issue has not occurred again since I last posted in the above thread. I am not saying that the issue has been fixed, but it has not happened again since my dealership last "reset the adaptive settings". Whatever that means.

Steve

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento PHEV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got the car back we'll see how it goes. They "reset the adaptive settings" (apparently several times) - Kia told them to send it on it's way since they couldn't observe the problem first hand. They thought we could've spilled something on the dial but it was clean (we didn't). We've had the original problem since the first or second week of ownership (switching to R not being recognized). I honestly don't know if the two are related. I am kind of missing mechanical only vehicles hehe.

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SX PHEV
26 Posts
Just got the car back we'll see how it goes. They "reset the adaptive settings" (apparently several times) - Kia told them to send it on it's way since they couldn't observe the problem first hand. They thought we could've spilled something on the dial but it was clean (we didn't). We've had the original problem since the first or second week of ownership (switching to R not being recognized). I honestly don't know if the two are related. I am kind of missing mechanical only vehicles hehe.
Hopefully you wont see that problem again. We had ours in twice. The first time they reset the adaptive settings, the problem re-occurred. The second time, apparently they did the same reset, and we have not had the issue again. Fingers crossed/knock on wood. Unfortunately, we will never fully trust it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts