Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Carnival 2.5 V6 2002 model
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i have a problem with carnival 2002 V6 automatic with what i believe is a 4 speed gearbox, i put the car in drive and it seem to pull off in 2nd gear and then changes to third gear and when going up an inclined it does not kick back. i have to manually change to 2nd gear. when i pull off from stand still in 1st the change to 2nd then to third but doenst go into 4th How can i find out where the problem is

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Gearbox speed sensor(s) perhaps? See Conglomerate's post here - while the symptoms don't exactly match, I guess the ECAT can get confused in many ways if the signals from the sensors are not right.

I assume the ATF is in good condition. I notice on the wiring diagram for the ECAT Control System, as well as the input from the two speed sensors, there are connections from the ECU, however no idea what input the ECU might have to the operation of the ECAT. I assume you are using the ECU that was already with the vehicle i.e. you didn't change ECUs when you put the new engine in it?

·
Registered
Kia Carnival 2.5 V6 2002 model
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ATF is new and at the correct level, i have also replaced both the input and output speed sensors, and the ecu was not changed

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Sorry I'm out of ideas, no real experience on the A/T as no problems with mine. Other than that annoying up-change flare every now and again that on googling seems to be characteristic of the Mitsubishi F4A, not just its install in the Carnival.

Some years ago the dealer I was using then said he updated the ECAT software, and I notice on the wiring diagram that connections to the ECAT are brought out onto the Diagnostic connector - maybe there's a diagnostic reader available for the control unit, as for ECUs, that might throw some light on it.

Cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
2001 Kia Carnival 2.5L manual & 2000 Carnival Auto
320 Posts
Disconnect battery for five minutes to reset control box.
Then see if problem re-appears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts