Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have an automatic kia sedona 04 2.9
Can I just top up the fear box oil or do I need to empty it and refill?
Thanks

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Is the gearbox leaking? If so, topping up to the correct level with appropriate fluid wouldn't be a bad thing. Are you sure it needs fluid?

A simple drain doesn't usually get rid of all the fluid. You also need to look to the filter and check for leaks etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry my post wasn't very clear, was rushing this morning !
We're at 84,000 miles and the service list says the oil should be replaced,
We're going to France in a few weeks and have checked the oil it's at the bottom end of 75 on the stick
So was wondering do I have to replace it or can I just top it up,
There are no leaks etc and car is running fine

·
Registered
2003 Sedona 2.9 CRDi, 1992 2.5 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB, 1998 Toyota Corrolla, Suzuki GSXR600
54 Posts
Replacing the oil doesn't take long. It holds 7.5 litres of Dexron II fluid. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the gearbox on the bellhousing, a plate covering the ring gear/ flywheel has to removed first though (only 3 bolts). The access to the rather large drain plug is easy. If possible do it on a flat surface of not all the oil will drain. It's easier to refill with the air intake pipe removed as it will give a straight run to the dipstick tube.
If you have the time before you go I would strongly recommend changing the oil. These gearboxes are a fickle thing and are expensive to repair, trust me, my wife's has just gone belly up and I'm in the process of trying to find out why.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts