Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all petrol 2012/2013 rios around the world GDI engines?? I got a 2013 Kia Rio5 EX+ 1.4L but there's no mention of whether it is a GDI or not. No badge in the back nor the in the engine.

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
I believe your model has MPI(multipoint fuel injection). This is the same engine found in the Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.4 VTVT. The engine cover would state GDI if it were.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,774 Posts
In the US the GDI's are 1.6 and clearly maked as GDI.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
they use the 1.4L petrol in the UK, it does not state its a GDI engine, if it was they wouldn't certainly want you to know about it like they do on the 1.6L.

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
So... If it's not GDI.... What is it?
It's a MPI engine with a double over head cam. It has roughly the same mpg rating of the 1.6. It just doesn't have the horsepower of the 1.6 GDI. The engine looks as they are designed very similar. The gas is injected behind the intake valves. GDi engines have the injectors positioned to inject directly into the combustion chamber. MPI fuel pressure runs between 40 to 60 PSI. The GDI 1.6L used in the RIO has a fuel pressure around 1400 PSI. The pump is driven directly by the cam of the engine with the 1.6L GDI.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
the 1.6L GDI is also a Gamma series engine, it was also for the 2011 year but that didn't have the GDI. My 2.0L engine in my Soul is a MPI and the engine series is Nu.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts