Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L GDI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time poster here but I have been browsing this forum since we purchased our 2012 Sorento in February. We've put a little over 4500 miles on it and it will be due for its first oil change in August or in 3000 miles.

Earlier this week i noticed 2 spots on my garage floor about the size of a half dollar. I jacked up the Sorento to take a look and see 2 droplets of motor oil on the water pump housing. (Pics below) Took it to the dealer for them to check it out. They confirmed that there was motor oil around the water pump but could not find a place where it was leaking. The service writer said they torqued down everything to make sure it was within spec and put some dye in the oil. I will drive the vehicle for about 1000 miles and then they will see if they can determine where it is leaking from.

I've read about the pan gasket leaking but what else could be leaking oil on the upper portion of the motor? The service writer said it was possible there was oil that was spilled at the factory and it was leaking but he didn't feel that was likely. Just looking for input, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The offending oil looks rather dark. Could it have been thrown high into the engine from another leak? Any loss detected by dip-stick?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dipstick reads just slightly below full. I would estimate less than 1/8 of a quart. It is down a little bit as it had rested right on full initially. This is still the factory fill of oil so it is nearing the 6 months or 7500 miles Kia recommends.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The dipstick reads just slightly below full. I would estimate less than 1/8 of a quart. It is down a little bit as it had rested right on full initially. This is still the factory fill of oil so it is nearing the 6 months or 7500 miles Kia recommends.
That's a normal amount of oil usage for the factory fill, and there's obviously no major leak. It just looks a bit darker and thicker than I would expect from the engine; that's why I was wondering if it had been thrown from the transaxle. Hope KIA can track it down for you.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX 2WD V6
39 Posts
I'm only familiar with the V6's but had a Hyundai Santa Fe that had a few leaks that where difficult to track. One was from the oil sender unit just under the oil filter housing ( this was pretty common and became a TSB ), the other was a valve cover gasket that would trickle oil down into the alternator. They redesigned the valve cover gasket for the 3.3 and 3.5 due to this problem.
Keep a close eye on it because sometimes an oil leak could be from over torque and the dealer could have made it worse, but that could have been their intentions so they can pin point it. Also that oil looks pretty tired and I would get it changed once they figure out where the leak is, just my two cents.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
That's a normal amount of oil usage for the factory fill, and there's obviously no major leak. It just looks a bit darker and thicker than I would expect from the engine; that's why I was wondering if it had been thrown from the transaxle. Hope KIA can track it down for you.
I agree about the level, as down just a little with mileage would be normal. As for the dark color, the GDI engine oil gets very dark. When I do oil changes on them, especially getting near 7500, the oil is almost black. I did a first oil change on one today, at 11k, and that stuff looked horrid.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX AWD V6 5 Pass, 2001 BMW 740 iL
21 Posts
Ours has the V6, but we had a timing cover leak last fall. I find it hard to believe in this day and age that new cars would develop oil leaks. This was one of the reasons that I bought a new car.

Our lovely dealer tried to sweep it under the carpet by saying "Oh don't worry, you have plenty of warranty" but that is not the point. I bought the car to drive, not sit in his shop.

Sorry, got on a bit of a rant there....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here is an update to my thread. I took my Sorento back to the dealer last week after putting about 1000 miles on the engine with the dye in the oil. After putting the car on the lift and checking with a black light they informed me that the engine is leaking from the oil pan gasket. The service advisor stated that oil was being slung up to the two water pump bolts causing oil droplets there. I am not sure I totally believe this because if oil was being slung from air while driving it would probably be everywhere including the firewall, suspension, engine block? Anyways, the dealer is going to drop the oil pan and put new gasket material in. We will see if this resolves the issue. Hopefully it does.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
Air flow under the engine can make leaking oil go where you would not expect so.Had a leak show up on v-8 diesel that showed up on rear of engine just higher than oil pan and to one side.Nothing leaking from above so checked oil pan bolts,one slightly loose bolt near the rear was the culprit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts