Kia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kia-Rio EX 1.4 Hatch Petrol (Silver)
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone be able to tell me exactly where the fuel pump is on my new Kia Rio EX 1.4 petrol 2012 Km2500 (new zealand) I have annoying ticking noise from the engine and am trying to eliminate items. Had it into the dealers 3 times to no avail, even-though they acknowledge there is a ticking noise there,and say this is common with all kia rio 2012 cars. noise seems to go when engine has come to normal temp. but i still know it is there less over the normal noise when driving.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
the 1.6L GDI engine has the fuel pump in the fuel tank.

This is for North America and confirmed on the KGIS website.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A man at the garage told me it was the fuel pump ticking noise in engine. just wanted to know where it was located in the GDI 1.4 ex kia rio petrol . So to see if it was common for that fuel pump to have ticking noise.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
A man at the garage told me it was the fuel pump ticking noise in engine. just wanted to know where it was located in the GDI 1.4 ex kia rio petrol . So to see if it was common for that fuel pump to have ticking noise.
can't really speak for the 1.4 but the 1.6 has it located just in front of the dashboard...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it is probably same place in my car. How would i recognize the pump when i look in engine .

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 1.4 gasoline engine is not GDI - it's MPI CVVT one. I think the fuel pump is on the same place

·
Registered
KIA Rio 1.4 CVVT 6MT/ 7" NAV/ 17"/ Leather/ Electric blue
35 Posts
Fuel pump on 1.4 and 1.6 in the fuel tank.

1.4 petrol CVVT MPI

1.6 petrol D-CVVT GDI

In front near the top of the engine is high pressure fuel pump for GDI.

The ticking noise may come from chain timing or cvvt.
This is normal.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
Chitko is right, check the New Zealand Kia Website Tribesman as it clearly states your Rio's come's in either a 1.4L CRDI DOHC diesel turbo or 1.4L DOHC CWT petrol engine, so these are not GDI engines.

coolman kk - schematics are right, I checked further on KGIS and as indicated (this is for the 1.6L GDI engine) there is a fuel pump electric type in the fuel tank driven by an electric motor but also a high pressure fuel pump mechanical type driven by the camshaft. (you would have to pull off the plastic engine cover to see its location)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the info. especially for drawings. It looks like the ticking is coming from top of engine somewhere , so it could be from the drive chain or tensioner , or from the lifters somewhere. Anyway if its common from this engine and it don't do any harm , its just so annoying.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5
3 Posts
The 1.6l has two pumps.
1. low pressure pump
2. high pressure pump

the low pressure pump is in the fuel tank, it supplies fuel to the engine bay. then the high pressure pump converts the existing fuel pressure to ~2000psi to be injected into teh engine. The high pressure pump is located infront of teh driver, attached to teh top of teh engine. it work off of teh camshaft to create such high pressure; however, this causes increase noise. for ocd car lovers like me, this might drive you crazy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts