Kia Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
449 Posts
@rejesterd

No the Toyota is not GDI or turbo. 3.5L V6 with tons of power as well I change it at 8000km as per the dealer recommendation, not 10k but it is much cleaner than quite a number of engines I currently change oil in.
3.3L Sante Fe
4.6L Explorer

They're all using Synthetic by the way and Pennzoil grades which each specifies. They're all different do stocking takes space given non are satisfied with 5L, they want more oil. LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've noticed carbon build up on tops of my cylinders. 2016 Sorento only has 87,000 miles on it. I also noticed the oil seems diluted with fuel after an oil change at about 1,500-2,000 miles.
I'm gonna start running a potent fuel additive concoction (like 6 bottles of techron in a half tank of premium ethonal free unleaded) right before every oil change to see if this cleans up the carbon. I'm also gonna do oil changes with half 10w-30 to half 15w-40 on oil changes, or perhaps full 10w-40, to help keep the oil thicker, longer.

I change oil/filter every 5,000 miles with whatever brand is on sale, usually conventional. If I go synthetic I'll sometimes leave in for 9,000 miles but change filter only at 4,500.

Scotty Kilmer says GDI is not good in most car designs. They do seem to be dirty motors. This motor is much dirtier than both of my 200,000 miles Mitsubishi Monteros with 3.8L. I always run regular unleaded in them, except on annual or biannual injector flushes as described above.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
453 Posts
I've noticed carbon build up on tops of my cylinders. 2016 Sorento only has 87,000 miles on it. I also noticed the oil seems diluted with fuel after an oil change at about 1,500-2,000 miles.
I'm gonna start running a potent fuel additive concoction (like 6 bottles of techron in a half tank of premium ethonal free unleaded) right before every oil change to see if this cleans up the carbon. I'm also gonna do oil changes with half 10w-30 to half 15w-40 on oil changes, or perhaps full 10w-40, to help keep the oil thicker, longer.
Man.. don't do that. You're running your engine extremely lean that way. The safer, easier, and cheaper way is to just spray some CRC GDI intake cleaner through the throttle body. All you have to do is remove the air intake hose. Do that treatment twice, then change the oil. Then just do the treatment once before every other oil change after that.

Don't let your boroscope make you go batty over some carbon on your cylinders. Some amount of buildup is normal, and it can be controlled with regular intake treatments.

Yes, these engines run a bit dirtier in terms of carbon buildup, but they also run way more efficiently than whatever you had before this. My Sorento is the largest vehicle I've ever owned, in terms of overall weight and engine displacement.. yet it is the most fuel-efficient vehicle I've ever owned. That's all due to GDI technology.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SXL
78 Posts
normal based on what I uderstand. my oil turns black real quick as well. Try using some GDI injector cleaner via the correct procedure and then see if your oil gets less black.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts