Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 spectra, the speedo and odometer stopped working so I replaced the vss, that didn't help. Ended up being a problem with the cluster. I got another one but the mileage is at 206,XXX miles and my car only has 107,XXX miles. I would really like to be able to change it so its accurate (I plan on selling this car next fall to buy a new truck and I'd like it to read the actual mileage). I know it should be able to be done (I did it on my prelude when I installed digital gauges and on my Camaro when I accidentally broke the original cluster but both had completely different ways. Anyone know?

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
If this is like the newer Spectras, then the mileage is stored on the cluster itself. The good thing is you can take it to a speedometer shop and have the mileage changed. I had one done and I had to fill out some paperwork for the feds and then pay around $100.00. If you ca'nt find a local speedo shop, then go to a dealer and ask them where they get it done. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya its defiantly stored on the cluster (I was hoping it wasn't so I didn't have to go through this crap). Was also hoping it was something I could do myself like my other 2 cars.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,932 Posts
You should look for "darkened" areas on the old speedo.. Dropping resistors, rectifiers, and voltage regulators generate enough heat to crystalize solder connections over time.. and being that these parts are located in the power supply sections of this module...if the solder joints fail the cluster quits...
A quick application of a soldering iron and fresh solder (Ersin multicore or Kester) on these joints "might" get your original one to work again...
I have had my 06 and 07 Spectra clusters apart to change them from ugly "pea green" LEDs to white ones and did notice voltage regulator ICs and dropping resistors...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,568 Posts
I can give you the phone # to the shop we send out replacement clusters when we get them in for our custmers. (Kia dealership). Quick turn around time, but if I remember correctly is was just under $100.00, plus shipping.
Like allready said, a local speedo shop would be cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts