Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 sportage
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Sportage has been sitting for a couple of weeks since LOML has some medical issues.

Son went out to borrow it because his car started leaking gas yesterday (probably rusted fuel line) and comes in and tell me the gas tank fell out.

I'm going to go look it over but am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem???

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,185 Posts
Wild guess that it is NOT the gas tank falling out, but the insulation shield KIA used to put (around) the fuel tank, and the tank leaking is a direct result of the shield collecting water & dirt in-between the tank <-> and shield, rusting the tank.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,882 Posts
1999 Sportage has been sitting for a couple of weeks since LOML has some medical issues.

Son went out to borrow it because his car started leaking gas yesterday (probably rusted fuel line) and comes in and tell me the gas tank fell out.

I'm going to go look it over but am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem???
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,867 Posts
I "see" you are located somewhere in KY... The Sportage IS 20 years old and the retaining straps could rust through in this time... These Sportages are known for rusted through rear frames here in the "rust belt"...So it is possible that the gas tank may have been "set free" from it's mounting straps... with it dangling it probably has yanked on the gas lines and they now are leaking... Still not bad for lasting 20 years...Most other cars won't go half the distance...
I would suggest taking a close look under the car as you may be driving an unsafe vehicle...
Dave

·
Registered
1999 sportage
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Son wasn't fully awake when he talked to me. Seems like it was a bad leak, not a tank drop. Betting squirrel or mouse snacked on fuel line. Soon as it warms up I'll find out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts