Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Kia sephia and the issue is the pumping gas nozzle keeps shutting/ tripping off after putting gas in for a few drops of gas. It takes a long time to fill the gas tank, even though I turn the gas nozzle sideways as I pumping gas and still keep shutting off at the gas pump. I checked the four components of the evap system fuel. On youtube,(
) the mechanic shows something about the air vent (through the fuel line) vapors are blocking. The charcoal canister, the purge valve, (both are replaced used by getting them at a junk yard) the purge canister solenoid (Intake-Manifold-Fuel-Tank-Vapor-Canister-Purge-Valve-Solenoid) and the buffer canister (the purge cannister solenoid and both are located by the intake manifold) seems to be working, since there is no engine light code on. Also, I blowed out the canister buffer located on the passenger side firewall behind the intake manifold. ( Emission Catch Tank Buffer Canister) I am baffled by this issue. I also tried to blow the purge canister solenoid and something there is blocking. It looks like a closed valve inside the purge canister solenoid and not open. Is that normal since the electrical connector is disconnected or should it be open? Any ideas? I appreciated any comments, advice, and/or feedback. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,809 Posts
... Any ideas? ...
The truth is that Kia installed a very thin Hose for filling the Gasoline Tank, and thus explains why the vapors buildup is fast which makes any gasoline statation's pump to detect it as it should and stop pumping the gasoline, untill said vapors are gone...

That is an issue on which you should learn to live as long as you keep the Sephia, the only advice that I could give you, is that you should try to pump gasoline in the Slowest speed possible, to avoid vapor buildup which keeps the pump shutting off...

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
2004 Kia spectra 1.8 L Base model 125xxx miles
133 Posts
The charcoal canister has come apart and the charcoal particles have traveled thru the vent system and plugged the fuel tank vent valve in the top of the tank, after the canister is replaced, you will need to replace the canister close valve, and probably drop the tank and clean out the vent hoses and remove and clean out the vent valve also, when the canister comes apart, its a mess.

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loyale 2.7 Turbo and Drogers, thank you for your feedbacks, advice, comments. I appreciated it very much. I am going to take my Kia to the shop and show this thread including both of yours comments. I will post my findings or results of this nagging issue. Thanks to all for reading. Stay tune.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,449 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, nstoolman1. I will definitely looking into it. By the way, I did showed this thread to the shop and was told after reading this thread, that the culpit should be the vapor charcoal canister and needs to be replaced. Well, after researching this canister, it appears, so far, very few, are available. There is a new one on ebay showing the price of $89.55.

Right now, I have two vapor canisters and two vent valve (both the vapor canister and vent valve together each set). The first set is obviously the original with the 117, 651 miles. The set I got from the junk yard had around 175,000 miles so it appears the original as well.

So I am going to do some research based on the previous post by nstoolman1, using the original vapor canister and vent valve from my Kia. Doing some work as describe in the post and hopefully that will steer me in the right direction to resolve this issue. Stay tune as I will follow up on my progress. Thanks to all for reading and sending me comments, feedback, advice, etc.

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

UPDATE:

Yesterday, I went to a gas station to fill up the KIa, dreading the ongoing issue I have been going through. I have not bought the vapor canister yet. I wanted to try to fill up the gas tank to see if it would fill up without having the auto shut off pump in play. Sure enough, this time, as Loyale 2.7 Turbo indicated in above post saying "pump gasoline in the Slowest speed possible, to avoid vapor buildup which keeps the pump shutting off..". The slowest speed works very well this time without having the pump keep shutting off. A steady flow of fuel going into the tank went well. No problem or issues so far. Thanks to all for reading and those who posted their comments.

·
Registered
2002 optima
18 Posts
I fixed a 2002 optima with this issue. Carbon canister let the little pellets out and were clogging lines. Replaced canister with one from the salvage yard and blew out all pellets I could find from tank to fuel fill. Also found a recall improperly done for fuel tipover valve. Was installed backwards from recall instructions.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,809 Posts
... as Loyale 2.7 Turbo indicated in above post saying "pump gasoline in the Slowest speed possible, to avoid vapor buildup which keeps the pump shutting off..." The slowest speed works very well this time without having the pump keep shutting off. A steady flow of fuel going into the tank went well. No problem or issues so far. Thanks to all for reading and those who posted their comments.
You're Welcome! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts