Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Kia-Sorento
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if you read this in a "general forum", but I am Desperate to find a solution for this: When starting from a standing position, the accelerator is depressed, then the nose of the car "dips-down" almost to a "Stall" then without notice, it LURCHES forward, throwing my head back like a Drag-Racer, and spinning the tires. Some day this will happen when I have an 18 wheeler coming at me, and I HOPE it doesn't hesitate TOO long !

Anyone else ever had this happen? My dealer had the car for an entire day, and (of course) could NOT duplicate the situation. It is a 3 month old Sorento, with the 4-cyl. GDI engine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well since it's under warranty, I wouldn't bother working on it, but...

It could be the throttle position sensor. Why? Because this tells the computer how much torque you want (e.g. how hard you're pressing the accelerator). If it has a dead spot, and you hit it just right, the computer might freak out like yours does.

I don't know if the GDI has drive by wire, but I'm assuming it does. So it could be the motor in the throttle blade. Why? Well this is ultimately what throttles the engine. So if it sticks, then yeah, this could happen.

Last thing could be the air idle control valve. Why? The IAC controls a small amount of air that bypasses the throttle valve. It does this to allow the engine to idle smoother and not stall after you take your foot off the gas. If the computer thinks your engine is going to stall, the IAC is where it usually goes for help first. I would never have thought it was possible, but the IAC valve can allow enough air to "get by" to rev your engine to near redline. I've had this personally happen to me (Well, it free-revved to 5,000 rpm) on a SRT-4 that I have. The car would drive itself at 65+ mph in 5th gear and my foot completely off the gas. New IAC fixed the problem -- I think the old pintle was wore out.

Again though, I wouldn't touch it though, it's under warranty. If you are really worried about it, you could try to capture it yourself by buying one of those tattle-tail OBD-2 recorders they sell for you to record how your teenage kid drives. Just leave it in there all the time and after it does it again, wait a few seconds and turn off the car and unplug it. Take it to your computer and have it spit out the last start-stop cycle and take that to the dealer. They should be able to see what happens if it logs:

- rpm
- %tps
- IAC movement
- vehicle speed

optional ones, but might help the dealer out more:

- fuel trims (to see why she started to stall)
- ignition advance

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Sounds EXACTLY like the problem my Sedona had when the intake hose dry-rotted. Obviously, on a vehicle that new, your intake hasn't dry-rotted. However, there could be unmetered air getting to the throttle, which is ultimately what was happening with my Sedona. It would intermittently lurch forward on acceleration, because the air was entering past the Mass-Airflow sensor. I would check and make sure there are absolutely no openings in the intake tubes between the MAFS and the throttle body. What you describe is EXACTLY what my Sedona did.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Obviously not acceptable on a new car and bs that you have to take it back in to get it fixed but what does this have to do with the gas pedal sticking?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
I'd also be curious if this has anything to do with the downhill assist feature. You said the nose of the vehicle goes down when stopped before any movement which I can only see happening if the throttle is being applied but the brakes are holding the vehicle in place... though that usually lurches the nose up so I dunno... As said, take it to the dealership tell them you don't feel safe driving hte vehicle and how to replicate it. If they don't help you then say you want your case escalated to corporate or call corporate yourself and express your safety concerns.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
just throwing this out - but by chance your not putting your other foot on the brake at the same time your accelerating?
I know this has happened before, when people drive with two feet on an automatic. The system is not designed that way anymore, it used to be okay on older vehicles.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
^ Good call. I know people dont like to be the ones making the mistakes its always the cars fault, but be aware of what your doing as well.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Judging by his profile, I'd say its another troll. Probably a Honda or Toyota employee. Its been done before and it will be done again.

I like your 'Kia-Sorento'

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Judging by his profile, I'd say its another troll. Probably a Honda or Toyota employee. Its been done before and it will be done again.

I like your 'Kia-Sorento'
Indeedy. Joins, posts a troll and then never heard from again.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Since the op has not been back....I'd say troll all the way!

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
I was wondering if it was the "unintended acceleration" lady that made all the talk shows before she faded into obscurity again....!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was wondering if it was the "unintended acceleration" lady that made all the talk shows before she faded into obscurity again....!!!
Or until I took this clip of my Sorento showing people that you can't really have a Sorento run away from you...

Mind the babling on...video wasn't scripted, just kinda happened.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Or until I took this clip of my Sorento showing people that you can't really have a Sorento run away from you...

Mind the babling on...video wasn't scripted, just kinda happened.

Re: Kia Sorento Stuck Accelerator (Sudden Acceleration) - YouTube
Dont forget to turn your brights off..:D
Thats one thing I dont like about the tranny shifter, Ive knocked into manual mode more then once by accident when I had my hand on the shifter and went over a big bump or made a sharp turn. Not really a big deal for me as I can shift thru all the gears without looking but as you said it might be for someone not to familiar with it.
So was your engine not revving when you were standing on the gas?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Dont forget to turn your brights off..:D
Thats one thing I dont like about the tranny shifter, Ive knocked into manual mode more then once by accident when I had my hand on the shifter and went over a big bump or made a sharp turn. Not really a big deal for me as I can shift thru all the gears without looking but as you said it might be for someone not to familiar with it.
So was your engine not revving when you were standing on the gas?
I was on a dead end road! That's why I had my brights on! And yeah try it! If you have your foot on the accelerator and put your other foot on the brake, the engine dies and comes down to an idle. Most new cars are starting to do this.

Also, I wish the shifter was setup like my Dads '10 Sonata. Manual mode is towards the passenger side not the driverside.

·
Registered
Kia-Sorento
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so very much, this has been driving me crazy ! I will check these out, and bring this NEW info to the Service dept., and see what they say. If that fails, I just might invest in the computer method, and see what the info tells me.

by the way, to the "other" posters, thank you all for your input as wel, and by the way....I'm NOT a Troll.....just a disheartened Kia owner....should have stuck with my Venza, never an ounce of trouble, just poor gas mileage !

·
Registered
532 Posts
by the way, to the "other" posters, thank you all for your input as wel, and by the way....I'm NOT a Troll.....just a disheartened Kia owner....should have stuck with my Venza, never an ounce of trouble, just poor gas mileage !
On the topic of sticking gas pedals....lololol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts