1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage LX 4cyl Auto, 2012 Kia Sedona Ex Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Sportage LX Auto 4 Cyl
181,000 Miles

Usually after getting warmed up, the engine will idle high at 1500 or 2000 RPMs when letting off the gas. I can take my foot and pull gas pedal up and idle returns to normal.

This seems to happen after a little bit of driving, not on cold engine.

What I've tried:

Cleaning and lubricating throttle cable and springs inside cab and under hood.

Spraying out throttle body with a can of carb cleaner. I don't think this did anything as I really didn't know what I was trying to accomplish with that.

I would say it's the cabling or springs but why does it work fine with cold engine?

It's my 16 year olds car so really need to fix it, not safe as it is.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,483 Posts
I believe(without looking it up) that the TPS is mounted on the opposite side of the cable. Possible binding of the TPS? OR check the motor mounts, one may be broken and shifting when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check those out. Seems like heat maybe expanding something causing it to bind.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Also there is the possibility of the Idle Air Control solenoid either dirty or a vacuum leak "fooling" it. Check the air hose from the MAF(air cleaner) to throttle body also, cracks in it can cause problems with idle rpms.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also there is the possibility of the Idle Air Control solenoid either dirty or a vacuum leak "fooling" it. Check the air hose from the MAF(air cleaner) to throttle body also, cracks in it can cause problems with idle rpms.
I found no leaks and cleaned everything I could. Do I need to remove the Idle Air Control Solenoid to clean it properly? Looking online there appears to be a gasket, so I'll want to get a new gasket first to be sure on reinstall, right?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
My Spectra/Sportage repair manual does not go as new as your posted vehicle, BUT by 2012 it should have an electric throttle(no cable). and also not have an IAC. IF you can manually pull back the actual gas pedal and RPM's come back to normal, then I would highly suspect a binding pedal assembly. NOT OFTEN to see happen on any "newer" electric throttle control vehicle. Looks to me like you need to be looking at the gas pedal assy. under the dashboard.
GOOD LUCK! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's where I had started but the fact it happens only after a warmup makes me think it is something under the hood.

It is a throttle cable setup. I can "push" the cable under the hood and get the idle to go down, also. Pull up on gas pedal or push on throttle cable... both work.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
That's where I had started but the fact it happens only after a warmup makes me think it is something under the hood.

It is a throttle cable setup. I can "push" the cable under the hood and get the idle to go down, also. Pull up on gas pedal or push on throttle cable... both work.
OK, carry on as prior postings. Still if you can manually push the throttle body's cable attachment point closed, you need to isolate and repair where it is binding at. Without the motor running unhook the cable one end at a time to move the throttle lever to check the throttle body plate and then pedal/cable itself.
Good Luck and keep us posted. :)

EDIT On rechecking your profile info, I see I mistook vehicle info for year/model in making my former response. These 2.0 motors are very reliable, Look for obvious things as posted.

Reactions: Lou O.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts