Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there are a bunch of posts about gas mileage here. It seems like we are getting mixed results all over the place. I've got a 2011 EX V6, FWD and it is NOT included in the rebate gas mileage program from Kia.

However, around town in a mixed driving scenario, I'm down in the 18mpg range. I've certainly gotten no more than 20mpg. And I drove with a very light foot to try and see what the mileage would be.

I think this seems a quite a bit low to me, especially since they list 20/26mpg.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
I can't fathom how ya'll are so much lower than my mileage for the AWD model. In the summer, I was getting a solid 28 highway mpg and with winter gas I'm down to 26 highway mpg. When I'm mostly around town, it's about 20mpg. I'm definitely not driving it like a granny either. *shrug*

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
So, there are a bunch of posts about gas mileage here. It seems like we are getting mixed results all over the place. I've got a 2011 EX V6, FWD and it is NOT included in the rebate gas mileage program from Kia.

However, around town in a mixed driving scenario, I'm down in the 18mpg range. I've certainly gotten no more than 20mpg. And I drove with a very light foot to try and see what the mileage would be.

I think this seems a quite a bit low to me, especially since they list 20/26mpg.
I think "driving with a light foot" can be somewhat subjective. I have an awd v6 and average about 21-22 according to the display with mixed driving, and I get on the gas every once in a while to.:D Somedays when Im really impatient it can drop down as far as 19mpg but thats the lowest ive seen it yet. I think you have to take into acount your tires and tire pressures, weather and road conditions and driving style, amount of cargo in you vehicle....as you can see to get optimal mpg you have to have optimal conditions. Some say ultra premium full synthetic oils can increase it but I dont think it would make that much of a difference in mpg. This is at least what I have found for myself and my sorento. My dad has a 2009 Santa Fe with 3.3 v6 and he is pissed because he only averages about 18mpg but he does mostly city driving.
I suggest taking anything you dont need out, making sure your tire psi are at least at 33psi or 30 i believe for the 18" wheels and maybe trying a different gas station. If all that doesnt work next time your in for service let them know and see what they can do, maybe they can tweak the tranny codeing or offer a better solution. Good luck. I know most of this is basic info so no offense intended, but youd be suprised at how many dont know or care. I just added air to my dads tires they were at 28psi I thought they looked low, he said he had never ever checked them most people just trust and rely on there dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think "driving with a light foot" can be somewhat subjective. I have an awd v6 and average about 21-22 according to the display with mixed driving, and I get on the gas every once in a while to.:D Somedays when Im really impatient it can drop down as far as 19mpg but thats the lowest ive seen it yet. I think you have to take into acount your tires and tire pressures, weather and road conditions and driving style, amount of cargo in you vehicle....as you can see to get optimal mpg you have to have optimal conditions. Some say ultra premium full synthetic oils can increase it but I dont think it would make that much of a difference in mpg. This is at least what I have found for myself and my sorento. My dad has a 2009 Santa Fe with 3.3 v6 and he is pissed because he only averages about 18mpg but he does mostly city driving.
I suggest taking anything you dont need out, making sure your tire psi are at least at 33psi or 30 i believe for the 18" wheels and maybe trying a different gas station. If all that doesnt work next time your in for service let them know and see what they can do, maybe they can tweak the tranny codeing or offer a better solution. Good luck. I know most of this is basic info so no offense intended, but youd be suprised at how many dont know or care. I just added air to my dads tires they were at 28psi I thought they looked low, he said he had never ever checked them most people just trust and rely on there dealer.
Thanks for the reply. That will help others out. I always keep my tire pressures up and the car unloaded from cargo. Next time I have it in the dealer, I may ask them about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2011 EX, 6.
Just got back from a day trip and I was getting a solid 25(by calculation), dash said 25.1.

Conditions were off & on rain, high 50s, 75 to 80 mph.

In city driving I am getting 19 to 21 avg.

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
The gas mileage has been my biggest disappointment with my KIA. I also don't get anywhere near the average advertised mileage. Not sure on the exact mileage I an getting art the moment, but I never make it to 300 miles on a tank with city/highway combo mileage.

But since I came from a 93 V-8 Chevy Blazer, I am paying less for gas overall, so I am not complaining, just disappointed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2013 KIA Sorento 4 Cyl. GDI engine. Computer reading varies all over the place on highway driving, but from Minnesota to New York, only 25 mpg (rated up to 32) - fairly new with 3,000 miles. Dealer said it needs 10,000 miles before broken in but I've heard this record before from other cars I"ve had.

On a different post, others mention the rough engine while in gear. Same for me. Dealer said the GDI engine is like that. He said there is a 'fix' that can be ordered from KIA because they're aware of it. Has anybody had this kit installed and if so, does it affect gas mileage in the negative?

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Just decided to check my mileage with the winter regular gas blend and 10% ethenol. Took the weekend trip from WDC to St. Michaels, Md. and with a round trip top off at same gas station and running at a slow(for me) 60-67mph on cruise control (1800-2000 approx. rpm). I averaged 27.8 mpg. Again this is flat and rolling country, no great hills, etc. Also, if you use cruise control and anticipate the hills, you can even see good mileage results with the on board fuel computer. I have stated before, that if KIA wanted to really help people that are apparently so overly interested in top gas mileage, they should install a continous instantaneous fuel read out like Ford has done for years instead of the sampler they currently use. The cost for such would be nil since the on board computer is always measuring your fuel use in micro seconds. Immediately shows your own personal driving liablilites when you think you are using a really lite foot but the read out shows you aren't.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
I have stated before, that if KIA wanted to really help people that are apparently so overly interested in top gas mileage, they should install a continous instantaneous fuel read out like Ford has done for years instead of the sampler they currently use. The cost for such would be nil since the on board computer is always measuring your fuel use in micro seconds. Immediately shows your own personal driving liablilites when you think you are using a really lite foot but the read out shows you aren't.
I thinks thats what that eco-minder light thingy is supposed to be for. Sometimes I see it helps me slow down abit but most times it annoys me. But since I avg. almost 22mpg in mostly city driving with awd v6 I leave it on.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,144 Posts
I know my Sportage calls for 5-20W oil, not sure about what's recommended for the Sorento? I get better mileage using Mobil 1 5-20W synthetic oil, about 2mpg more. I hope this helps?

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
I know my Sportage calls for 5-20W oil, not sure about what's recommended for the Sorento? I get better mileage using Mobil 1 5-20W synthetic oil, about 2mpg more. I hope this helps?
I have been doing synthetic since my first oil change. Not sure the brand that the dealership uses though. I can't say if it has helped or not. I just do it so that I will get longevity out of the engine if I decide to keep it a long time. I was at almost 300,000 miles on my 93 Chevy Blazer, and am convinced it was the synthetic oil change every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In order to properly figure out how bad it is make sure you are getting accurate readings. My 2013 Sorento V6 is also getting way worse than advertised mileage. It also seemed like I was driving slow so I calibrated the speedometer and I was right. It shows about 2 to 3 mph faster than what I am actually doing.

This is all well and good to avoid speeding tickets because you are actually doing a few mph slower than what you think you are doing, but that must also mean that the odometer is racking up more miles than you are actually driving. This of course has 2 drawbacks:
1. When you sell you will have more miles on the odometer than you actually drove so you will lose money.
2. When you try to calculate your mileage it is even worse than you think it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is 2 miles under at 65, according to my GPS.

It's 1 mph under at 55, 75 & above, well to 80, haven't had it faster than that.

Under 50 it's dead on.

Figure that out.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
I thinks thats what that eco-minder light thingy is supposed to be for. Sometimes I see it helps me slow down abit but most times it annoys me. But since I avg. almost 22mpg in mostly city driving with awd v6 I leave it on.
If you go only by the ECO light you will not see anywhere near your best fuel mileage. It takes quite a kick to turn that off, or downshifts to lower gears plus putting your foot in it. You really need to drive a Ford product, for example, with the continious instaneous fuel readout to see what little movement in your right foot kills your mileage. Once you drive to obtain better mileage using that meter you will see that it should be on all cars. Go to a Ford or Lincoln dealer and get a test ride. They're always willing to show you. Believe me, I'm not endorsing Ford products since I am happy I bought my V6 Sorento over the Ford Explorer and Lincoln SUVs I tested.:)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Now that Toronto has switched to winter gas, I average 15...dear lord. Either way it's better than my pathfinder was even in the summer.

·
Registered
Sorento GDI 6 V 2014
1 Posts
Well with my Sorento 2012 with a full tank I can drive up to 360 Km
But with the Sorento 2014 GDI 6 V SXL a full take allow me to drive only 200 miles .

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
480 Posts
I can't fathom how ya'll are so much lower than my mileage for the AWD model.
Brakes. That's happening right now with me, actually. I noticed a huge drop in mpg after I just replaced the front pads. They're sticking because they are Wearevers, which are slightly too big. So I filed them down hoping I could still use them but nope. I'm just about to order new pads now..

Normally, I get 31 on the highway, 22 normal around-town driving and 18 in heavy stop & go traffic (averaging about 24 mpg overall). Right now, it's much lower and I can say with high confidence that it's due to the brakes.

If anyone is getting much lower gas mileage than expected, I would strongly recommend inspecting/servicing the brakes and doing an intake treatment with CRC GDI intake cleaner (or something similar) every 10k miles or so. If you have a lot of miles on the car and you've never done that treatment, do it twice then change the oil. It can make a world of difference on these engines especially, but it works for non-GDI cars as well. I've been doing intake treatments for many years and I would say that, more than anything else (whether it's changing air filters, using a different type of oil, more expensive tires.. whatever), makes a huge difference in fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
281 Posts
My Sorento 3.5l, bought new 8.6.12, is indicating that it was not part of the gas mileage program?? Wife only drives in town, short trips etc and the average is 19.03 mpg. Mileage is 26978.3, # gallons = 1417.56
kmpg.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts