Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought my Alien Soul + 2 weeks ago and I love it. My one complaint is the gas mileage. I was told I should get 35 mpg but after 2 tank fulls I am only getting 26. This is a huge disappointment since my old car (Toyota Corolla) always got 35 mpg. Is anyone getting any better mpg on the car

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
who told you that, EPA mileage is only a guide to compare one vehicle to another tested under the identical conditions - it states your mileage could vary. The 2.0L Soul EPA is 26 city 34 highway. Two tank full is nothing to get concerned about wait till you put some serious mileage on it. How many miles on the Corolla and what year and what engine?

We have no idea what conditions you were driving to obtain the 26 mpg and also how you arrived at that figure.

Just checked on the 2012 Corolla and its EPA rated at 26/34 and that's with a 1.8L engine.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Our KIA Forte 2.0 (Same as Soul engine) gets 25/35 MPG (US) which is the same as EPA. You'll only get the EPA figures with careful driving (and constant speeds in the case of highway driving).

As Conwelpic says, it's too early to take much notice of MPG. There will be a slight improvement as you put some miles on the car (about 1 or 2 MPG), but the main thing is you'll be more likely to drive the car smoothly once the novelty has worn off.

Use manual calculation rather than the trip computer.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Our KIA Forte 2.0 (Same as Soul engine) gets 25/35 MPG (US) which is the same as EPA. You'll only get the EPA figures with careful driving (and constant speeds in the case of highway driving).

As Conwelpic says, it's too early to take much notice of MPG. There will be a slight improvement as you put some miles on the car (about 1 or 2 MPG), but the main thing is you'll be more likely to drive the car smoothly once the novelty has worn off.

you are absolutely right on that statement, with any new vehicle you don't quite drive it like the old one and trying different things and takes some time before you get used to it.
Also its a brand new engine very tight and also it starts learning how you drive. We also don't know whether his Soul is a manual or automatic or whether the Corolla was a manual or automatic.

He needs to check out the EPA to see how they actually arrive at these figures. How Vehicles Are Tested

·
Registered
2012 Optima & Exclaim Soul
2 Posts
2012 ' Soul

Mine has 4,000. Small town driving no freeways. If I baby it I get 20.5mpg, Calculated & Dash indicator. Highway is 24mpg. Love parts of the car but hate the mpg. I called corp and they said wait until 15,000 miles. Yeah right.

·
Registered
2012 Soul+ ....It's the baby of the fleet.
56 Posts
At 5500 miles, my low was 22.5 (today). My high was 31.9.
Mostly used around town. 10-15 miles at a time.
My high was on a trip when it had ~800 miles on it.
Usually I run in the mid-20s. Not bad for my use.
It's not a hybrid. And afterall, it's a box. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 Exclaim. Average 24-26 MPG. When really trying to get MPG's I can get 37.5 on the HWY with active ECO on, doing 55, no AC, & drafting a semi. In town I can get 26MPG with no air, at 40 plus so I am in high gear and minimize stops. I'm happy with average performance, considering it is a box, is larger than a lot of vehicles on the road, and is very practcal all around. Used to have a ford escape and the only thing I lost was the extra foot of room behind the rear seat. Also much easier to find in a parking lot.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul +
34 Posts
You'll notice the MPGs start to climb a little bit as the motor breaks in and everything seats fully.

·
Registered
Black 2007 Spectra EX, 19.2mm Tib rear bar.
70 Posts

Soul 1999 cc mill and Forte 1998 cc mills are different:
Soul: 164 HP @ 6300; 148 TQ @ 4800; bore x stroke 81 x 97 mm. "Nu" engine family. Elantra uses a 1.8 version of this.
Forte:156 HP @ 6200; 144 TQ @ 4300; bore x stroke 86 x 86 mm. "Theta" engine family.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Forte is not a box on wheels like the Soul. Much more aerodynamic.
That being said, I finally broke 32 MPG.
@7500 miles, it's almost broken in.
Still stock---so far.

·
Registered
Black 2007 Spectra EX, 19.2mm Tib rear bar.
70 Posts
The Forte is not a box on wheels like the Soul. Much more aerodynamic.
That being said, I finally broke 32 MPG.
@7500 miles, it's almost broken in.
Still stock---so far.
Forte sedan shows .29 Cd at the KIA site.
Only number I could find for the Soul is .42.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul EX Energy edition, 2.0 L, 6 sp Auto.
67 Posts
It all depends on how you drive the Soul and whether the car has been "broken in" properly.

Last stats for my 2011 Kia Soul 2U (4 speed auto) as of July 4'12:

L/100kms = 9.07...
MPG = 31.31

My overall average is 27.99 mpg for about the last 2 years. (Mix of city and some highway driving).

I did notice that when I first got my Soul, that the average MPG was around the mid 20's mpg.

Mileage started to improve at around 8000 kms of driving.

Yup... still love my Soul :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
just so there is no misunderstanding on the above posting the 31.31 mpg is imperial gallons that is about 26 mpg to the US gallon.

I have around 6500 km on mine so far and I've notice on the average my mileage has been improving. I've done 13 fill ups so far and the overall average has been 8.5L/100 km or 33.6 mpg (imperial). This is all based on calculated mileage and running near full tanks each time.
I did a return trip from Ottawa to my house about 300 km and the average was 7.0L/100 km (40.4 or 33.6 mpg). I am finding the AVERAGE computer reading is quite accurate, on my last fill it read 7.4 and when I calculated it, it was actually 7.3L/100 km.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Poor Gas Mileage

I've had my 2012 Soul since December 2011 and now have about 12,000 miles on it. I live in Atlanta and yes, the traffic is horrible here, but I really expected more than the 19 - 20 mpg (calculated) that I get. The vehicle itself states 23 - 24 (still not great), but I'm afraid to drive it until it runs out of gas although that's what I'd like to do to see just how far I can actually go on a tank. Does anyone have a good guess at the range in heavy city driving? My fuel light comes on at about 220 miles. Not happy at all.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I've had my 2012 Soul since December 2011 and now have about 12,000 miles on it. I live in Atlanta and yes, the traffic is horrible here, but I really expected more than the 19 - 20 mpg (calculated) that I get. The vehicle itself states 23 - 24 (still not great), but I'm afraid to drive it until it runs out of gas although that's what I'd like to do to see just how far I can actually go on a tank. Does anyone have a good guess at the range in heavy city driving? My fuel light comes on at about 220 miles. Not happy at all.
There is no purpose to running it till the gas is exhausted other that it could cause you serious problems besides leaving you stranded. After the low fuel light your AVERAGE on your computer will show --- which means you have roughly 30 miles left but even less in heavy traffic, so fill up!
You've answered your question by saying the traffic is horrible in Atlanta, unless you drive under the conditions in the EPA tests you will not get those figures. Reset your AVERAGE at different stages to see where the low consumption is coming from. What does it get at strictly highway travel? Unless someone is driving in Atlanta under the same identical conditions, what they get in another city doesn't necessary mean that you will get that, so its not conclusive.

Another alternative is to let someone else drive the vehicle and see if they get the same results.

You need to fill out your DRIVES profile as we don't know which model (hence the engine and whether its auto or manual) you have in your vehicle.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I forgot to add on the above post, that for every minute of idling it's the same as driving 1 km (or in the case of the US, 100 seconds idle is the same as driving a mile).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've read of people getting 400 miles on a tank. That's not something I would ever try.
When the fuel light comes on, if I fill up right away, at most I will pump 10.5 gallons. That means there are about two gallons left. The farthest I have ever gone on a tank is 352 miles. The light came on maybe 15 miles before I stopped to fill up. That was traveling on the Interstate on cruise at 67 MPH. (by GPS)
All stock, so far.
I don't pay any attention to the computer miles to empty stuff. I haven't found one yet that is accurate.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
When the fuel light comes on, if I fill up right away, at most I will pump 10.5 gallons. That means there are about two gallons left. I don't pay any attention to the computer miles to empty stuff. I haven't found one yet that is accurate.
There's commonly 6 to 8 litres remaining when the light comes on. (See another Thread). Fuel gauges/lights etc. aren't completely accurate, but they are usually consistent. One of the first checks I always do with a new car is test "litres to fill" from ½ and ¼ tank; then I can check the warning light with some confidence.

I've found DTE a good indication, but some manufacturers seem to define "Empty" as 5 litres remaining. There's a certain minimum level required to cover the fuel intake, and it's not a good idea to run a modern engine completely dry.

·
Registered
2012 Soul + automatic
48 Posts
I registered 23 and 25 my first two tanks.

80% of driving in mostly stop and go Southern California city driving. Short trips.

Should I expect more?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I registered 23 and 25 my first two tanks.

80% of driving in mostly stop and go Southern California city driving. Short trips.

Should I expect more?
we always expect more no matter what mileage we get :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts