Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I went to a kia dealer today and test drove a rio 5 hb ex to see for myself what kind of mpg I could get.I was in the NH white mountain range so no real flat roads and was not expecting much.Driving sensible no ECO and noticed that cruise kept the trans downshifted up any long hill,turned it off and shifted up.I could keep it there with light throttle.Long story short got to 41mpg and used the a/c twice just for a couple minutes each time. That's not bad for a 23 mile test as my trip today was about 350 miles in my vw tdi.This could be my next car.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
That sort of test is meaningless.

Only true test is by the tankful over calibrated odometer distances, once the car is broken in. For example our Cerato 2.0 auto gets 36 MPG (US) with conservative highway trips (100 km/h). Careful driving around town gives 26 MPG (i.e. about 2/3 the best highway). Other conditions will give different results.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
I agree doesn't tell you anything or mean anything.

To answer the thread heading - because people drive all over the place. :D

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
Only true test is by the tankful over calibrated odometer distances, once the car is broken in.

my rio mileage did not change from day one. if i pussy foot it, i get 39/40, if i run the piss outta it, i get 33~35.

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
still 31.4 is the average with the worst tank at 28.6. That is about 60% hwy miles using Shell or Mobil and 3500 mi. on the clock. Only way my car will show improved mileage is if I never use the a/c, drive downhill in neutral and have a truck tow me. Depressing numbers to say the least and this is my one gripe about the car.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
wow, 28? i guess i am glad i got the manual.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
still 31.4 is the average with the worst tank at 28.6. That is about 60% hwy miles using Shell or Mobil and 3500 mi. on the clock. Only way my car will show improved mileage is if I never use the a/c, drive downhill in neutral and have a truck tow me. Depressing numbers to say the least and this is my one gripe about the car.
you save more fuel going downhill in gear than neutral.
fuel injectors shut off if you are off the gas and going downhill, forward momentum is used to keep the engine turning instead of gas....
put it in neutral, and it has to keep spraying gas into the cylinders to keep the engine turning...

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
and also to add to LordHelmet comment , which I agree, it is also dangerous to drive that way (in neutral).

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO
51 Posts
Probably my only grip, also. I just don't get it how people are getting an average of 39/40. I just don't believe it. Like you said, I've been driving Miss. Daisy around in my car, and I'm barely making 32MPG. Can't imagine if I actually held down the gas pedal and did over 65 on the highway. I'd say 80% of my driving is highway, also. Hoping it will change once I get two or three thousand miles on it. :eek:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Probably my only grip, also. I just don't get it how people are getting an average of 39/40. I just don't believe it.
ok, you caught me. i am lying... :huh:

i can only assume your car is automatic? i know they are rated the same, but it seems in reality the manual cars are getting better mileage. my commute is an hour of rolling terrain, comprising of mostly 40 and 45 zones, with a handfull of short 55 zones. i can go almost a week before filling the car up, usually about 370-375 miles before the light comes on.

mebbie you need to beat on your car a little? i have raced mine, and my front tires are nearly corded on the edges from the constant squealing after 10k miles...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO
51 Posts
ok, you caught me. i am lying... :huh:

i can only assume your car is automatic? i know they are rated the same, but it seems in reality the manual cars are getting better mileage. my commute is an hour of rolling terrain, comprising of mostly 40 and 45 zones, with a handfull of short 55 zones. i can go almost a week before filling the car up, usually about 370-375 miles before the light comes on.

mebbie you need to beat on your car a little? i have raced mine, and my front tires are nearly corded on the edges from the constant squealing after 10k miles...

Yeah, its an auto. I'm getting about 300-320 miles per tank. Just filled up this morning, and my average was down to 29.9MPG. I've been using that terrible 'ECO' mode. It really does suck. I've been using Mobil fuel everytime, also. Gonna switch stations and see how that goes. BTW no disbelief meant towards you. You just seem to have a special Rio :grin:

Oh, and my commute is 2 miles of 35-45MPH and 27 miles of 65MPH highway

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
and also to add to LordHelmet comment , which I agree, it is also dangerous to drive that way (in neutral).
I should have ended my comment with /sarcasm

I don't do that by the way.. I live in Florida, it's flatter than a 4 graders chest.

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
Probably my only grip, also. I just don't get it how people are getting an average of 39/40. I just don't believe it. Like you said, I've been driving Miss. Daisy around in my car, and I'm barely making 32MPG. Can't imagine if I actually held down the gas pedal and did over 65 on the highway. I'd say 80% of my driving is highway, also. Hoping it will change once I get two or three thousand miles on it. :eek:
Filled up last night, 30.6 avg off this last tank. Still crappy numbers.

You, Jade and myself should all get together for the Orlando Rio club. LOL

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO
51 Posts
Filled up last night, 30.6 avg off this last tank. Still crappy numbers.

You, Jade and myself should all get together for the Orlando Rio club. LOL
No doubt. Glad to see more people from FL chiming in. For a second, I thought everyone was from Canada and Australia! :beer::beer: <JK>

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX
21 Posts
Yes, I am very puzzled about my mileage also, 32 seems to be my best tank. Usually it is 30-31, don't drive any hills straight shot down 441 to Maitland. Did do better on highway trip I made, got around 35 but haven't seen anything higher. :confused:

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i'm getting about 500KM per tank (305mi) in pure peak hour daily traffic, with lots of traffic lights and lots of stupid morons around. Car has nearly 2400KM on it so far, and is getting better and better. It's about 8.1L/100KM (29.04MPG). We've been giving it a bit of revs lately too.

As far as highway goes, the last trip i did was when the car only had 900KM on it and the economy was quite ordinary at that stage, but it still managed 6.7L/100KM (35.1MPG) on that trip at 110KM/h.

Going on another highway trip this weekend so will see if it goes better this time.

I might mention that A/C (climate control, auto demist etc) is on all the time

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
Yes, I am very puzzled about my mileage also, 32 seems to be my best tank. Usually it is 30-31, don't drive any hills straight shot down 441 to Maitland. Did do better on highway trip I made, got around 35 but haven't seen anything higher. :confused:
Track your data on the EPA fuel economy website.. interesting to see the numbers. Even more interesting that it seems like us Florida owners are experiencing similar issues. I wonder if the blend of fuels out here is causing things to go sideways? That is three of us with poor stats. I think Jademac is the only one that is not having this issue. He is right up the road from me and probably fuels up at the same stations too.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
. I live in Florida, it's flatter than a 4 graders chest.
I've driven to Florida and also have friends there who live in St. Petersburg. I was told that the Sunshine Skyway bridge across the bay from St. Pete's to Bradenton is the highest point in Florida. :D

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
I've driven to Florida and also have friends there who live in St. Petersburg. I was told that the Sunshine Skyway bridge across the bay from St. Pete's to Bradenton is the highest point in Florida. :D
I in no way have a phobia about bridges but that bridge scares the hell out of me!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX, 2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT/RS, 2001 Ford F150
5 Posts
I have a 2012 Rio Sx with 5000 miles on it. I am getting on the hwy 41mpg, now that is usually driving around 60mph. I drop to 36mpg going faster.
That is my observation over several tank fulls.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts