Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what people get for gas milage with their kias?
My Sorento gets 17 mpg and my 2.4L Optima gets 25.5 mpg, mixed driving. Thought it would be interesting to know what everyone else gets. With mods if ya have any or without. It could be some usefull info for some people too. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've only got 3300km on my '05 Spectra5, so it's still not as good as it will eventually be, but I'm getting about 28MPG highway and about 24 city... It's going for a good 600km round trip into the mountains this weekend so we'll see how it does with a full load (myself, wife, two kids 50lbs each, and a big cooler full of food!). Gotta go check out those glaciers before they all melt into oblivion you know! LOL

Devin

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
I did 25 mpg mix driving with my 05 Magentis 2.4L, but that was with a lot of town driving, I have yet to see on a long highway trip. I should be getting about 30 mpg then.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
Around 60 miles to the Gallon if I am easy on the gas in my Picanto. With air con on and/or being heavy footed or even passangers in any combination the worst i have got is about 44mpg.

Mike

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked my gas milage on my new 05 Spectra SX. I got 27.5 mpg mixed driving on the first tank. Much better than the 17 mpg I was getting with the Sorento.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio
22 Posts
I get about 500km to a tank on my '04 Rio, and about 400km to a tank with my '02 Spectr GSX.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been tracking the mileage on my Rio LS 5spd since new.

Best mileage on a long trip at about 90km/h the whole way....6l/100km

Worst mileage when I was driving city / hard driving about 10l/100km

Currently I've figured how to drive my Rio softly and I get about 7l/100km mixed city/hwy driving.

I agree with cableguy about my Rio. The gastank reads empty after about 425km but when I fill its only about 28l so there is actually 12l left in there so I should be able to get in the mid 500's before its actually empty.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well I've got almost 5000km/3100mi on my Spectra5 now, and yesterday we made a 6 hour trip (600km/372 miles) yesterday into the mountains. Here is what I got:

7.5L/100km
38MPG (UK Imperial Gallon)
31MPG (US Liquid Gallon)

My speed through most of the trip was 115km/h or 72MPH., although for about 20 minutes each way we were down to 80km/h for traffic. Two adults, and two children (50lbs each), plus about 50lb of other cargo.

We were driving into quite a strong headwind on the way there for the first 150km. We gained 1175m / 3855ft in elevation during the trip out there, so I'm sure that accounted for a bit of the fuel usage too.

Considering I don't have very much mileage on it yet, it's already getting pretty close to the 6.6L/100km or 43MPG UK that Transport Canada rates it at. And considering the speeds I was travelling and climbing I'm pretty happy with the results.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Devin

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra EX
84 Posts
Hello everyone;

First question is; how do you calculate your gas milage?
Do you start with a full tank, and re-fuel to full after your travelling?

If so; from one pump to another, the flow of fuel may change, if you stop at the fisrt pump stop, you will get a different amount from pump to pump.

If you fuel all the way to the cap, you will flod your charcoal canister with fuel at the first start up.

So how do you figure out your fuel consumption?

TheIceAge05

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To figure out gas milage you fill up your tank and hit your trip meter. Next time you go to fill up divide the milage on your trip meter by the amout (Gallons or Litres) you put in your car.
About filling up.......after the pump stops I put about another gallon in it.
yes the milage will vary a little bit if you sit in traffic longer than normal or have a heavy foot sometimes or do city driving vs highway driving.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I figured I would bring this old thread back to life seeming I just bought a 07 Kia Rio LX. I have 520 miles on it and have just checked the gas mileage on it for the first time. I got 31 mpg. It was 50% city and 50% highway driving.
I have been averaging 28-32 mpg with my 05 Spectra SX. That has a K&N drop in air filter in it.

·
Registered
2006 Spectra EX
20 Posts
I do mostly city driving with a little highway, probably an 80/20 mix. I checked the mileage last week. My car is brand new... I haven't even gotten around to the first maintenance interval.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX, 2008 MINI Cooper S, 2009 Vespa LX 150
148 Posts
Hey Spex SX, I am getting pretty comparable mileage in my 2006 Rio LX, 5 spd. I was getting a pretty consistent 31 mpg with mixed driving (stop and roll morning highway commute, city driving, highway cruising around 80 mph). I usually shift between 3500 rpm and 4500...

Since putting in the K&N drop in I have been getting an extra 2 mpg, putting me around 33. I am sure I could improve that by driving more smoothly and not flooring it on take off, but you do what you got to do ;)

I tried taking it easy for a couple weeks last year and got 35 mpg, but that was just no fun.

Hollywood

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats one thing I have to get is a k&N drop in for it. I have one in my Spectra and it increased my mileage by 2 mpg.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts